What fuel do you guys use?

Title explains all really, wondering what fuel you guys use in your Fabia vRS 1.4 TSi's as I'll be picking mine up this week and I was going to use Shell V-power, does this make a difference really?

Welcome to the forum.

Yes it makes a difference, you will be £5.00 a tank more expensive to run the Shell V-Power Nitro, because they make a big Deal of it

and Sponsor F1 etc, and they make out the Secret Additives (like Sodium) are worth the Extra.

But the Car is recommended and the engine designed to run on Super Unleaded, 98 Ron or higher.

It does run on 95 ron, as all EU Cars are required to.

BP, Esso, Sainsbury UK Super Unleaded is 97 ron Minimum.

So not 98 ron Minimum., but can be 98 ron sometimes, some places, some seasons.

Tesco Momentum 99 & Shell V-Power Nitro are 99 ron Minimum.

Again they can exceed 99 Ron sometimes, Winter time as an example.

The Tesco Momentum 99 is very good in your vRS and will cost about £2.50 a tank more than 95 ron Unleaded, and £2.50 less than Shell Super Unleaded..

I would Recommend using that,

Or Shell V-Power if you prefer.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 3

It will run on anything as like most engiens from the last 20 years it has a knock sensor so will just retard ignition or cut power.  You'd be hard pushed to get one to detonate unless its been remapped and you are nailing it to the red line on WOT

However TSi engines like pretty much all modern VAG petrol engines are designed to run on super.  

So keep it to Tesco or Shell.  Tesco's is probably better as has a higher ethane content and is also cheaper.. Keep a bottle of octane booster in the boot just in case you get caught short 

Edited by Ant FR

Ran both Tesco Momentum and Sainsbury's Super Unleaded.

Both gave me very similar mpg and performance in general.

Never had plug or valve issues running these fuels.

Similar situation with my partner CAVE or CTHE Fabia vRS MK2. 

Similar results in my Octavia vRS MK3.

Edited by vrskeith

Welcome to the forum.

Yes it makes a difference, you will be £5.00 a tank more expensive to run the Shell V-Power Nitro, because they make a big Deal of it

and Sponsor F1 etc, and they make out the Secret Additives (like Sodium) are worth the Extra.

But the Car is recommended and the engine designed to run on Super Unleaded, 98 Ron or higher.

It does run on 95 ron, as all EU Cars are required to.

BP, Esso, Sainsbury UK Super Unleaded is 97 ron Minimum.

So not 98 ron Minimum., but can be 98 ron sometimes, some places, some seasons.

Tesco Momentum 99 & Shell V-Power Nitro are 99 ron Minimum.

Again they can exceed 99 Ron sometimes, Winter time as an example.

The Tesco Momentum 99 is very good in your vRS and will cost about £2.50 a tank more than 95 ron Unleaded, and £2.50 less than Shell Super Unleaded..

I would Recommend using that,

Or Shell V-Power if you prefer.

george

Thanks for the reply.

Just was reading up and some people stated supermarket fuels wasn't as good as using shell.

Also by running on Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V-Power Nitro what benefits do you achieve?

Supermarket fuels come from Refineries & Depots just as Big Brand fuels, bought where and when as the Wholesale Price or supply affects it.

Greenergy that Produce Momentum & Shell share Import Depots for their Base Fuel from Europe.

The Difference between Super Market and Brands is Additives because the Standard of the Fuel is Regulated.

Octane is altered at Refineries or Depots and Additives added after the Fuel has been refined.

I like Tesco Momentum not just because it costs less than Shell, but because it can be trusted.

If there was a Mis-Fuel at a Station you deal with Tesco.

If a Shell Franchised Station has bad V-Power Nitro, then you might have the Franchisee to deal with and Royal Dutch Shell are not interested.

Bad fuel can happen anyplace, but Large, Medium, Small Privately Owned Filling Stations seem to have more Issues.

Re 99 ron, or 98 ron.

That is the Recommended Fuel for the engine and full performance, but also your engine runs efficiently in normal start up and driving.

95 RON runs, but maybe a bit rougher on cold start up, and maybe gives less economy.

if £2.50 a tank extra only gives 20 miles more range but runs better, then that seems good VFM,

or even no extra MPG but a smoother running car, the £2.50 seems cheep, & an extra £2.50 for Shell seems a waste to me.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I either user V-Power Nitro or Momentum 99. What goes in is decided by what I am closest to when the fuel light goes on!

Having run periods of solely using one or the other, I found that the car runs exactly the same on either V-Power or Momentum. 

I prefer Shell as they Sponsor my beloved Ferrari F1 Team. Plus the Shell points card is good for money off vouchers every so often, I don't shop at Tesco so don't needs their club card points. :dull:

Sorry for the pointless rambling, I'm just trying to say it doesn't really matter which you use, as long as its 98 or over! :sun:

I've been taking advantage of clubcard points (shopping and fuel) to get somewhere between 4 and 10p a litre of my momentum fuel. It's a good promotion. Yawn... I'm getting old aren't I?

I'm a Nitro loyalist - you can be sure of Shell ;).

Either Momentum or Nitro - whichever is more convenient - it just happens Shell is nearer for me, plus I'm a bit snobby about supermarket fuel :D.

• Like 1

I'm a Nitro loyalist - you can be sure of Shell ;).

Either Momentum or Nitro - whichever is more convenient - it just happens Shell is nearer for me, plus I'm a bit snobby about supermarket fuel :D.

Put it in a Waitrose bag then ;)

Edited by Prykey
  • Like 1

May be just a feel good factor but my 1.2 TSI seems to run better on Tesco Momentum although all the tests seem to say that it shouldn't!

• Like 1

Another vote for Momentum.

Used Shell Nitro, no improvement over Momentum and costs more so only use when there seems to be no Tescos Moementum near buy. 

Vent the tank to get an extra 5 litres in befor ea long drive and therefore can get 450 miles or more from a tankful on a motorway run. 

If I had the option I would use Momentum 99 all the time but my Tesco have never stocked it and why not, who knows, I have asked them many times. So 95 has been in my tank for nearly 2 years and it runs like a dream, if I get the chance I will fill up with 99 but only happened about 4 times in 2 years. In fact I filled it up with 99 yesterday and never noticed any difference in performance or economy on my 90 miles drive home.

• Like 1

From 0 - 22000 i use momentum or nitro anything else in the furby is slurry, however tesco has best benefit of fuel save and out ways the shell loyalty card in the long run.

Enjoy the experience.

On hand over, check in the boot and the Spare is present and correct and all other bits and pieces.

Any connection cable that is part of the deal.

They will have 95 RON in no doubt,

when you stop to fill up with the correct fuel, best to check the Tyre Pressures as they set them at the PDI & reset the TPMS.

(button beside the hand brake.)

george

Edited by goneoffSKi