Skoda Citigo or Fiat 500

saurabhdutt

Hi,

My wife had a Fiat 500 a couple of years ago and she loved it, after one year she decided to get a 500 C (convertible) and thats when she started having issues with it. I got her a Citigo Soort and now I drive that car more than she does.

Now, she wants to get her self another Fiat 500. My Citigo is only 8 months old and losing a lot of money if I trade it. Moreover, the basic most Fiat is costing me more than the Citigo.

What do you guys think I should do?

Saurabh

It depends on your priorities.

Doing what your other half fancies will cost you a lot of money but make her happier.

I'd say she can have whatever she wants, as long as she can pay for the cost to upgrade.

If you bought your Citigo new it'll probably have lost over £3,000 as a trade in which means she just has to find £5,000 or so if she wants a Fiat.

Or find a used one...

Either way you are going to have lost a lot on the Citigo, which all part of the fun of buying new. Short term depreciation is steep.

All I read is bad reports on those Fiats.

I have had 2 Fiat 500s in the last 3 years and had nothing but trouble. Clutch master cylinder went bad twice, roof stopped working etc etc. I don't understand how are they managing to sell so many of those..

• Like 1

It depends on your priorities.

Doing what your other half fancies will cost you a lot of money but make her happier.

I'd say she can have whatever she wants, as long as she can pay for the cost to upgrade.

If you bought your Citigo new it'll probably have lost over £3,000 as a trade in which means she just has to find £5,000 or so if she wants a Fiat.

Or find a used one...

Either way you are going to have lost a lot on the Citigo, which all part of the fun of buying new. Short term depreciation is steep.

I second that.

35% in the first 8 months is a lot however thats what happens with new cars any way. I am trying to explain to her that she is going to lose things like centre armrest, bluetooth, satnav, reverse parking sensors and cruise control if she goes for the Fiat and still pay a lot more every month. I think now it has started to hit her that its not really worth it.

Lets see what what she decides in the end.

I have had 2 Fiat 500s in the last 3 years and had nothing but trouble. Clutch master cylinder went bad twice, roof stopped working etc etc. I don't understand how are they managing to sell so many of those..

Fashion.

That's it really.

People pay for a fahsionable/branded item and Fiat got the 500 bang on.

Look at the Range Rover Sport, sold well even though it was just a rehashed Discovery and is usually right at the bottom of reliability surveys.

No different, the 500 is a Ford KA underneath.

• Like 1

^^^

That, SWMSBO wanted a Fiat 500, I showed her A Fabia, Citigo, then got the reaction of ohh no but it's a Skoda, then she took a shine to a 1.2tsi Audi A1, it's all about Fashion instead I bought her a cheap mk6 Fiesta which does the same job as all of those!

• Like 1

^^^

That, SWMSBO wanted a Fiat 500, I showed her A Fabia, Citigo, then got the reaction of ohh no but it's a Skoda, then she took a shine to a 1.2tsi Audi A1, it's all about Fashion instead I bought her a cheap mk6 Fiesta which does the same job as all of those!

Audi A1 = Expensive Polo 

• Like 1

= Expensive Fabia!

It's all about Fashion hence why I got the reply of not a Skoda :(

Thats exactly she said when she saw citigo for the first time "but its a Skoda".

I came to England 5 years ago before that I was in India and Skoda was launched in India back in 2001 as a luxurious VW sister brand so I wasn't aware of the image Skoda had here before that time as my other half did. I could not even get her Skoda jokes. I convinced her and got rid of our Qashqai and Fiat and got Octavia and Citigo which she just loved but now she wants a Fiat. I think things are still are under control and we might still keep our Citigo.

NO! NO! NO! NO!

End of discussion!!

I had a twinair before the citigo. Yes it looked nice and sounded nice but.......coilpacks failed within a month. Stop Start hardly worked and when it did the car took 2-3 attempts to auto start (sometimes had to turn off and restart).

The there was the claimed 60+mpg......yeah right sure when, how, where? Best I ever got on a long run to Yorkshire was just over 50, mostly around town it was 33-36mpg. Compared to the citigo which regular gets over the whole tank 46+ (which now does shorter and is stuck in more traffic than the 500 did).

• Like 1

NO! NO! NO! NO!

End of discussion!!

I had a twinair before the citigo. Yes it looked nice and sounded nice but.......coilpacks failed within a month. Stop Start hardly worked and when it did the car took 2-3 attempts to auto start (sometimes had to turn off and restart).

The there was the claimed 60+mpg......yeah right sure when, how, where? Best I ever got on a long run to Yorkshire was just over 50, mostly around town it was 33-36mpg. Compared to the citigo which regular gets over the whole tank 46+ (which now does shorter and is stuck in more traffic than the 500 did).

There you go. I am going to show this post to her and thats it. NO it is.

You have resolved the issue... :-)

• Like 1

Just thought I'd mix it up a bit. I own a twinair and I love it! I get 57mpg. I have also ordered a Mii Mango and will keep the twinair. Can't wait for it to arrive though.

There you go. I am going to show this post to her and thats it. NO it is.

You have resolved the issue... :-)

brave man

nice knowing you, where do you want the flowers sent :) :)

Edited by bluecar1
  • Like 3