Remap or Tuning Box ?

Hi there , im looking to either get a map or get a tuning box for my Skoda fabia 1 vrs 55 plate . Ive spoken to GotBoost in Brigend and for a remap Stage 1 with a Dyno run before and after its £275 which doesnt seem too bad with a Dyno aswell :p Ive looked on the www.tdi-tuning.co.uk site and DTUK http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/ for the Tuning boxes and looked at the gains and torque difference and they arnt too bad for the price but your gains arnt 100% with the box are they ? I was thinking about going for DTUK as i have heared alot of good Poitive feedback reviews about them with no problems , tdi-tuning is cheaper but i havent heared as much about them :| DTUK is £346 and Tdi-tuning is £250 . What option do you think is best and its more or less similar gains with both companies . Im in Swansea in South Wales and i am willing to travel is there is another better option but not further than an hour drive . Your help opinion and feedback on this would be great :D Thanks

Justin

If I were thinking about a tuning box I'd have to consider a black smoke remap first, and for 60 all in it would be my preference. I'd like to go for a proper tune but feel it would be wasted if I didn't have all the supporting mods I will eventually end up buying and installing.

I will second the above comment. Get a proper remap. As good as the DTUK boxes are, I imagine that you still get nasty torque spikes that will help to quickly kill your clutch. Plus smoke will be more refined on a proper map.

Fabooka (company name is Hidden Power) has a fantastic reputation on here, and is very reasonable price wise.

Other typical options from more mainstream tuners are Shark Performance, Jabbasport, Unit 18 etc...   These guys have been into VAG PD tuning for a long time and can provide you with a very good map. I have a Shark map on my stage 2 hybrid Fabia, and the rolling road graph of both power and torque was incredibly smooth and progressive.

If I were thinking about a tuning box I'd have to consider a black smoke remap first, and for 60 all in it would be my preference. I'd like to go for a proper tune but feel it would be wasted if I didn't have all the supporting mods I will eventually end up buying and installing.

You don't need any supporting mods, just the remap and you're done, until you get a bigger turbo of course, then you'll need a new remap.

• Like 1

Eventually I'd aim to have a seat sport fmic, 160 intake and a new turbo. If you apply a remap today and add an fmic tomorrow would you still benefit as much without a retune?

Won't make any difference to the headline sunshine, it'll just allow you to use it harder for longer before you heatsoak is all, 160 intake does absolutely nothing either.

Thanks, I was under the illusion it was recommended! Will a standard turbo be at risk from premature failure from a remap? Say you're mapping a full service history at 70k?

Nope, not if you get a quality remap like wot Faboka does. A silly filter will shorten it's life considerably though and give you nothing in return.

• Like 1

I would recommend a remap, as always Faboka or Shark Performance.

That said I fitted one of the new DTUK CRD-T+ boxes to a friends Seat Leon FR yesterday and I was very impressed. The power delivery was very very smooth!

I have tried 2 remaps and 2 tuning boxes, in order of preference they are:

1 = Shark remap (170CR)

2 = DTUK tuning box (170CR)

3 = Dragon digital box (PD105)

3 = Quantum remap (PD130)

• Like 1

Having driven with both on the same car, remap is better, by far.  Much smoother, it makes a really positive difference to the overall performance.

However, I had a Dragon Digital box for a while, bought second hand ~£100, sold on ~£100.  Didn't turn it up too high, quite impressive increase.  But you always have that niggling doubt at the back of your mind, that you should have done it properly - I ended up doing so. 

Slight thread hijack...but how does it work with shark. Do you have to order and pay for the map on sharks website and they book you in to the nearest dealer, or can you go straight to said dealer and buy/book with them?

AIIU you book an appointment with a local dealer, they pull the OE map off the car and email it to Shark who modify it and email it back to the dealer.

You do not need to contact Shark directly.