SD Album art on Amundsen?

I have a similar question with my Columbus unit.

It's not REALLY an issue as such, but my OCD is overtaking my common-sense.

I recently spent WEEKS sorting through all my music on the PC & using various software to ensure all the ID3 tags were correct and included album art for everything.

Have saved to SD card & runningn on the columbus unit, probably 75% of it is correct.

HOWEVER - some album art that I KNOW (from checking on my PC) is correct, is not displaying on the Columbus, but displays another album-art image instead.

It's the SAME album-art image that displays for anything that is wrong....... so somehow, any image that can't/doesn't display correctly on the columbus, it seems to use 1 default image to display instead.

Additionally - somem artists and albums do not show up in the list so I can scroll/select..... however the song tracks on those albums DO show up in the song-title list.

As such, it's impossible for me to search & select those particular albums to play, and I have to search through 1000's of files to select individual tracks... IF I remember the track names to start with......

Can anyone help with what I may have done incorrectly?  Is this a setting I've screwed up? Or something simple I can fix?

All files have been saved in correct format for the columbus unit to read/play (mp3, avi, wmv) and I'm not exactly an audiophile, I've simply ripped my CDs using software such as WMPlayer, years ago, in default format settings....... and I'm really not going to rip them all again just for the sake of some OCD moments in my car!

Really don't want to spend time again re-tagging everything again and re-saving to SD card......

I also have a couple of albums where it might not be 100% correct...

a couple of questions: I assume you used folder.jpg as the name of the album art? 

Did you embed it into the tags? 

If you play it back on something like Foobar on your computer, does that find the album art? 

What you've described is quite probably a combination of things: 

- if the album art is not necessarily the same size or format for each album, some may display and some may not

- if the format of the title / filename isn't consistent, so for example 2-digittracknumber - title - artist - album.mp3 - then it would not surprise if the tracks aren't always findable.

- I suspect there's a folder.jpg in the root directory or one of the first directories the system reads and that's why that album art is displayed when nothing else is found.

MP3Tag is excellent for this stuff - there's an option to take tag information from the filename or drop it back to the filename, which is awesome, and then there's a couple of other options involving swapping data around if you need. 

- Bret

I embedded all album art into the file ID3 tags.  Was trying to avoid having to go through and use another program to tag them all again - I used windows media player and my OCD caused this process to take WEEKS in getting everything right !!!

I don't believe there's any folder.jpg files at all in the exported files onto the SD card.... but I'll have to pull it out tonight and have another look on the PC.

• 3 months later...

I too seem to be running into some seriously confusing issues concerning album art for ID3 tags.  Like the previous poster, I've noticed my Columbus frequently fails to display the correct album art.  In some cases it merely displays a generic substitute picture based on the type of music it thinks the album belongs to, such as "Pop" or "Jazz" etc.  I've also had a few much rarer occasions where it's persisted in displaying album cover art I've supplied for another similar album.  Been driving me absolutely mad trying to work out what it's doing, and I've finally come to the conclusion that the system simply doesn't know.  These errors do appear to be completely random and unexplainable.

I've now got to the point where I've a reasonable selection of albums and tracks, all with their own album art attached to the ID3 tags correctly.  Windows can see the artwork correctly on ever single track.  So can iTunes.  So can IDTag3.  If I copy these files into the root of an SD card, with no other files of any kind present, the system may or may not display them correctly.  Copying the identical files to an equally empty USB pen drive and guess what?  A few files are also displayed incorrectly, BUT... totally different random ones.  Some of those which were wrong on the SD card are now right on the USB stick, and I've done absolutely nothing to change them.

I've tried copying files across numerous times and I've given up now.  I work in IT systems and testing, so I've been pretty thorough and meticulous in all the steps and permutations I've tried (I've invested a serious number of hours trying to understand this), and the only conclusion I can draw from all of this is that the logic in the system itself is somehow flawed for matching artwork to albums.  Not impressed when I've paid a four figure sum for a supposedly superior sound system. :dry:

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but first my thanks to ciclista71 ,

I had the same problem, My old car only played cassettes, so I have been converting all my old music tapes to mp3, scanning the covers to add them as "artwork", also taking care to keep all the jpg files to 300x300 pixels.

As others on this old thread had noted, some showed OK, whilst others just showed the default icon.  The problem proved to be the fact that the ones that failed to work had progressive jpg files.  I found that the IrfanView freeware viewer had the ability for lossless conversion of progressive jpg files to baseline.  I deleted the progressive files and substituted the converted baseline files and all my artwork now shows fine on my Skoda.

Folkie you are definitely of the old-school. Progressive JPEG were used by websites mostly in the pre-broadband era. Also MP3 is now deprecated in favour of AAC/M4A and FLAC.  Get with the times daddio! 

35 minutes ago, TDIum said:

MP3 is now deprecated in favour of AAC/M4A and FLAC.

I won't be changing my 75GB of MP3 files into AAC/M4a or FLAC anytime soon.

Might be worth waiting for MPEG-H to be standardised to save having to convert again?

2 hours ago, SWBoy said:

I won't be changing my 75GB of MP3 files into AAC/M4a or FLAC anytime soon.

Might be worth waiting for MPEG-H to be standardised to save having to convert again?

D'oh! Glad I still have all of the CD's. 

On 4/6/2016 at 09:14, ajw1100 said:

Well, searched every Media option I could find this morning and cannot find a 'database' view anywhere! Maybe I did not tick that option box!!

How do you access the database view?

On 4/6/2016 at 09:22, Prog said:
On 4/6/2016 at 09:14, ajw1100 said:

How do you access the database view?

I'm not near the car right now but from memory if you're in folder view, and I assume you are, navigate back up to the top level and there should be an option there to show database view.

What is this database view? All I see is a list of the folders on the SD card, which I can drill down through until the individual mp3 files are listed. Whatever level of the file tree I'm in, from the lowest all the way up to highest, the only buttons/options on screen are the play,  shuffle, scan, loop and return buttons.

Have I missed/misunderstood something here? I have an MIB1 Amundsen on the latest firmware. Is the database view a feature on the Columbus or some other ICE unit, rather than the Amundsen?

I have to go along with petecollier, I can't find the database view either.  At the top level I'm able to choose the source be it SD, USB, Bluetooth etc. Then you get a list of the files on whichever source you have chosen, and lastly the individual Mp3 files, "or FLAC if you prefer"

Database View must be an option for some. Personally I prefer to shuffle the tunes anyway.

• Like 1

I've a Bolero. I can get folder or database views by pressing and toggling the word. The album art can be restored in Windows Media Player hut it is a Pita for me.

I think that's one of the differences between MIB1 and MIB2. On the MIB1 you only get a folders view but on MIB2 the software is enhanced to build a database of all the music on the card, so you can can for example browse by artist, album, creaky old genre etc. 

6 hours ago, TDIum said:

I think that's one of the differences between MIB1 and MIB2

Thanks, that must be it.  It explains why some see it and some don't.

4 hours ago, Dasker said:

use Sans Mp3 Art Sizer.
And u will find out.

That's Sanse Mp3 Art Sizer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello!

This is my first post on this forum. I've checked out a few Skoda forums and I must say that this one is the most informative.

I have Bolero infotainment in my Octavia 2016. I found a very useful free software which adds album art automatically to your mp3 files and folders from online database.

Search for Taghycardia free. I had almost 100% success with adding album covers to mp3 files on my SD card with just one click.

Edited by Gajba

• 2 years later...

I had this issue, i imported music from itunes library & others from my hard drive. Some artwork displayed on my Admundson & others didn’t,  it was driving my crazy. All artwork i added was   
within the max resolution & file size. I discovered Mp3tag software, it was very easy to use & free,  i then discovered that there were 2 pieces of album artwork on the albums not displaying, one left over from iTunes & the other correctly sized one i had added. 
I clicked on the offending artwork & deleted both then copy & pasted the smaller resolution artwork back onto the album. 
Now all artwork is displayed & correctly tagged to each track rather than the album file only.

you need to save after adding artwork & software will update every track in the album.

This is a post from the past :)

I spent a long time going through my library, running my music "album-by-album" through Mp3tag - on each occasion I would select all the tracks, remove any album art, save, then drag & drop my new album art, save again.

I've not run into a single issue yet on my Columbus.

What I will say is that cache files appear to be created on the SD Card.

I have found that if I've added to my main SD Card a number of times, say I've added 5-6 albums since I first copied my entire library over, sometimes things would get "out of sync".

I then found the easiest fix was to format the SD Card again and just copy my entire library over again.