What should be fitted as standard?

Mr Ree

Heated front screen is top of my list though.

Absolute madness that it's still only an option on the vast majority of cars when you consider a HRW has i been standard on ALL cars for decades now.

i was SO disappointed that my Superb didn't have one, as ALL Elegance models have them as standard now.....except the Greenline model.  :devil:

Heated front screen is top of my list though.

Absolute madness that it's still only an option on the vast majority of cars when you consider a HRW has i been standard on ALL cars for decades now.

i was SO disappointed that my Superb didn't have one, as ALL Elegance models have them as standard now.....except the Greenline model. :devil:

You bought the wrong model :p

You bought the wrong model :p

no I didn't.

I absolutely love it in every other aspect....especially the average of 61.8 mpg mainly 'round town..

Not even an option.

Summat to do with keeping the emissions down, so just to be downright belligerent rebellious and awkward, I drive around with the rear one on ALL of the time now.  :D

no I didn't.

I absolutely love it in every other aspect....especially the average of 61.8 mpg mainly 'round town..

Not even an option.

Summat to do with keeping the emissions down, so just to be downright belligerent rebellious and awkward, I drive around with the rear one on ALL of the time now. :D

:devil: I'm at 36 mpg :(

TomTom should be fitted into every car now too.

Easiest to use by a country mile imo, and i feel almost embarrassed to admit this, but I've actually used my 13 year old unit a couple of times  in a nearly new car with sat nav fitted as standard.

Standard unit is good, but even after 4 months I'm finding it a bit of a faf tbh, whereas Tommy is just SO simple and quick to set up. :kiss:

Renault have done it.

Edited by Mr Ree

Front & rear dash cameras

Noooo. Can do without that thanks haha.

To be fair, I would happy if manufacturers just fitted the wiring to the car as standard, then made the dashcam available as an option.

• Like 1

Air Con that automatically switches off if windows or roof are opened. Had it on my Saab 15 years ago.

Why? Open windows and/or roof increase the rate of air changes and help get the interior down to ambiant temp faster. 

Why? Open windows and/or roof increase the rate of air changes and help get the interior down to ambiant temp faster. 

Whats the point of the air-con working overtime to cool the whole planet when all its efforts are escaping.

If I want a fridge - everything is closed.

If I want to enjoy the outside, then its pointless having it on.

In my humble opinion.

A soulful, powerful engine. Decent chassis, great handling. A precise gearbox. Excellent pedal feel and good seats.

Everything else - everything is nothing more than gloss.

I'm really getting tired of manufacturers turning out useless cars with digital this, automatic that and so on. Get the basics right - spot on - then offer everything else as an extra.

• Like 1

I was always told not to have the windows open when using the Air Conditioning. Not sure why, could be to do with using the same air, to recirculate it.

I prefer to put the windows down and have a nice breeze myself, usually only use the air conditioning to de mist the windows.

JRJG

Whats the point of the air-con working overtime to cool the whole planet when all its efforts are escaping.

If I want a fridge - everything is closed.

If I want to enjoy the outside, then its pointless having it on.

In my humble opinion.

I was always told not to have the windows open when using the Air Conditioning. Not sure why, could be to do with using the same air, to recirculate it.

I prefer to put the windows down and have a nice breeze myself, usually only use the air conditioning to de mist the windows.

JRJG

And you're correct when you've got the temperature you want. My point referred specifically to getting a hot car that's been sat in the Sun all day down to that temperature fastest. 

Funny how requirements change over the years. What you dreamt of in a car maybe 30 years ago were things like power steering, central locking and a radio cassette (auto-playing of side B of the tape was only for posh cars). Nowadays you wouldn't think to ask if power steering was fitted, and probably wouldn't even consider something without remote central locking, not to mention silly things like cup holders. Going back a bit further and hub caps, a heated rear screen and a cigar lighter were pure luxury!

My "musts" these days are PAS and RCL (duhh lol), climate control (but I'd compromise if it wasn't dual zone), full ipod control, heated mirrors, leccy windows, steering wheel controls, reverse sensors (or camera), built in bluetooth with voice dialling. Nice things that I really like, which I might be persuaded to skip, depending on how much I like the car, are auto lights, auto wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror, and footwell lights. Oh, and I quite like leather steering wheels, maybe that factors in somewhere. I've only had one car with a heated screen, which was great, but I'm prepared to skip that since it's a seasonal thing and you often need to sweep the snow anyway.

I quite often drive with my A/C on and the window open or ajar.

I like the feel of fresh air, it's part of summer driving with your arm on the window sill, yet I still have the benefit of nice cold air to keep me cool.

Edited by silver1011

Greasy fingered oxygen thieving scummy pond life would soon find a device for blocking emitted signals.

There's probably something already out there. :dull:

Yup, there already is....

s13.JPG

My old firm had trackers on all the works vans and a small piece of lead 

bent around the control box usually did the trick.

Low tech solutions inc.  

• Like 1

Loads of fine suggestions.

The best being a lower first price then upspec as you like.

Not having to buy a whole "package" just to get the one item you want would be much better.

Ford lost my money when I found they only fit cruise to a titanium level model which was far too much for loads of stuff I didn't want. Not only that, but it was not possible to retro fit it, according to the showroom.

Which is maybe why I'm on the second Skoda. The add-ons and upgrades may not be cheap (except the aircon off mod), but at least they are possible and available, and configurable/adaptable with lots of guidance from knowledgeable folk here if necessary.