New windscreen due today

Well - the AA windscreen service had a few problems finding a replacement windscreen because (a) it is a new model and they haven't had to do many and (B) it is heated and there wasn't a code on the computer to order it.  But I was very impressed with how helpful they were on the phone and flexible over booking the slot at my place.  Took just over a week to get the windscreen but the car is drivable so not a problem - just a 10p sized chip in the centre 4cm up from the bottom with 30-40cm horizontal cracks coming either side of the chip.  I can't actually see it at all from inside the car.

Just £50 excess with Skoda Insurance.  I dread to think what it would have cost at full price.

We'll see how it goes today.  I just hope I don't lose the plastic ticket holder :-)

Keen to see how good job they do of fitting it.

My concern is with lane assist camera and 'complex looking' rear view mirror setup. Doesn't it all need to be calibrated again?

Yep, was me,..

National windscreen fitted a Skoda replacement screen, however the rain sensor and camera were not fitted correctly, in fact they disconnected the camera to try and fit the screen properly as the sensors didn't sit flush to the screen as they did in the original screen.

It turned out the housing for the camera that slots into a big plastic piece already secured to the new windscreen wasn't quite flush to the screen so thy ended up having to fit another Skoda screen and pay for Audi to re calibrate the camera because no Skoda dealer at the time had the equipment!!

So National Windscreen ended up paying for 2 x windscreens and a recalibration, that alone cost them £300, to get my screen fitted and working. This was their first and I think they've learnt a lot from the experience.

Some on here have had no issues at all, I for one had a bit of a rocky road, however I think most fitters can now do it without any issues, just don't let them unplug the main camera unit!

Oh and my plastic ticket holder survived both fittings,...

He's out there working on it right now (not helped by the rain).  It really is a major job!

The rear view mirror/rain sensor/lane assist camera are dangling but all still connected as far as I can make out.  He said that it was a Skoda windscreen - which, apparently, is unusual.

Feeling a bit nervous.  But I assume it will get sorted one way or another even if there are problems along the way.

Good luck Jon. Maybe there arn't any other manufacturers of these windscreens at the moment so they have to order from Skoda. Hope all goes well and no issues once he is done

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Mine was a genuine Skoda as well, Autoglass said there aren't any 3rd party heated ones yet.

I hope he is covering it up well as the primer and sealant need to remain dry or they don't cure properly - Autoglass did mine in Asda's underground carpark to make sure it stayed dry!

All done.  Looks good to me and no error messages coming up.  Can't drive it for an hour (and probably won't now until tomorrow) but I'm not expecting any problems with the lane assist, rain sensor, mirror or heated screen.  We'll see.

Lost the Skoda Assistance phone number sticker as it wouldn't peel off but if that's the full extent of my losses over and above the £50 excess I'll be happy. 

Now I have a shiny windscreen inside and out I need to wash and polish the rest of the car to bring it back to nearly new condition!

If only the steering was that little bit sharper I could have veered away from that stone chip :p .

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I've had a stone chip repair on my VRS done by auto-glass that has failed, so the screen needs to be replaced. The lady that called me over the phone said it will be a two week wait as they have to order from the manufacturer as none are held in UK.

She then informed me that I would be liable for recalibration of the lane assist camera! (Reading this thread it looks to be in excess of £300, and only available from certain Audi dealers) Surely this should be covered in the cost of the repair? Otherwise it's just changing the problem for a different one!

I patiently await arrival of the windscreen, and am wondering if anyone has any advice from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my screen replaced a couple of months back by Autoglass, no issues get a genuine Skoda one, took a couple of days.  The fitter left the lane assist camera etc plugged and just hanging by the cables, i think this helps as unplugging them can cause issues.  He did say I may need to get the lane assist calibrated but it's rare to have any problems, its been totally fine since.  I did recieve a letter from Autoglass a week or after fitting recommended I take it to my dealer to get the 'saftey related' sensers recalibrated and I could claim the cost back from my insurer but I've not had any problems so left it, I also think they're just covering their arse incase anything goes wrong and the car decides to steer itself into oncoming traffic.....

I had my heated screen done a week or so back after a huge crack, but I don't have lane assist so nothing to worry about there.

It's not a Skoda badged replacement, but otherwise looks fine. Of course I'll have no way of testing it works properly till the winter.

• 4 months later...

Had my heated windscreen changed just over a week ago. Autoglass were my insurer's preferred supplier so I had to use them. I did have a 2 month wait for the replacement windscreen though! It seemed to take over 3 weeks for the part to arrive at their depot after they ordered from Skoda and the first two were damaged. Luckily I could still drive my car in the meantime as the cracks were not propagating.

Just received a letter from Autoglass advising I take the car in for Lane Assist recalibration and to check the manual. The system seems to be working fine (the fitter did not disconnect the camera from the electrical system). Think they are covering their arses, but I was not told about dealership recalibration being needed before they started removing my old windscreen, it does not stipulate recalibration in the handbook and I doubt my insurer will cover the cost.

Had my heated windscreen changed just over a week ago. Autoglass were my insurer's preferred supplier so I had to use them. I did have a 2 month wait for the replacement windscreen though! It seemed to take over 3 weeks for the part to arrive at their depot after they ordered from Skoda and the first two were damaged. Luckily I could still drive my car in the meantime as the cracks were not propagating.

Just received a letter from Autoglass advising I take the car in for Lane Assist recalibration and to check the manual. The system seems to be working fine (the fitter did not disconnect the camera from the electrical system). Think they are covering their arses, but I was not told about dealership recalibration being needed before they started removing my old windscreen, it does not stipulate recalibration in the handbook and I doubt my insurer will cover the cost.

Interesting that it took so long, as I advised them about 3 or 4 weeks ago on my heated screen and the guy turned up and said he could get away (just) with a repair. They had at the time turned up with the screen on the day and it had only taken 2 weeks from the point of putting in the claim to the date of the repair being done. Must be down to where you live or some other ridiculous reason.

I went with the repair which was great for a whole 2 days until the thing decided to go pop and get worse, I'm glad the repair cost me nothing. Now waiting for this coming week to be over and I'll have to put in a request to get the entire thing replaced. At least I won't have to worry over the sensors needing to be sorted as I was starting to worry that would be an additional issue to need to get dealt with.

• 1 year later...
On 05/06/2015 at 08:40, Dr Zoidberg said:

I had my heated screen done a week or so back after a huge crack, but I don't have lane assist so nothing to worry about there.

It's not a Skoda badged replacement, but otherwise looks fine. Of course I'll have no way of testing it works properly till the winter.

A year and a half after fitting, I've noticed that there's two dead filaments in the replacement screen - you get a vertical line that doesn't clear as fast as the rest of the screen. I'm going to give them a ring and see what they say, as it's not great quality.

I've also got a problem with the light assist on my Octavia that started a few weeks ago. The dealership are making noises about how it could have been damaged when the screen was replaced, though it's been fine since then so it seems very unlikely to me. This could be an interesting argument if they decide that it's not covered under warranty.