207bhp Yeti Greenline 1.6tdi Project - Skoda Yeti SE Business 2.0 tdi 150ps SCR Project

DarrellGB

Interesting discovery, a couple of weeks ago the car was back at the dealership, I'd lost a bulb inside the headlight. It was a bumper off job to get at the headlight and left me £80 worse off, expensive mistake.

Today at Shark we discover that they have snapped the bracket and tried to cover their mistake by fastening the headlight on with tie raps!!!

I've just been on the phone to the dealership who were very apologetic, im now waiting on a call back but safe to say, I am fuming!!

post-120571-0-62505500-1416402819_thumb.jpg

Well, back home after two and a half hours behind the wheel so i thought id give some feedback about the S3 Intercooler and Whiteline ARB's.

I wasn't expecting such a dramatic change to the car, lets start with the intercooler. 

S3 Intercooler

The main reason for this was in preparation for the turbo upgrade, so although i was told you can see a 10-15% increase i certainly wasn't expecting the results we got. The rolling road was being worked on so unfortunately we couldn't get it on the rollers but the drive home has given me all i need to know beyond the figures.

The car pulls so much harder and smoother than before, overtaking, pulling out of corners and roundabouts or just straight line acceleration is fantastic. Even at speed the car pulls better than many other performance cars I've driven, i would love anyone to come and have a go as its hard to describe the transformation. The drive through Snake pass (a road I've driven many times before) was like driving a totaly different car, anyone looking at this upgrade following or with mapping, do it! :D

Whiteline front and rear ARB's

Well, ill try and put into words what I've just experienced. The car now handles fantastically, there is no understeer, pushing hard you actually get a little (very controllable) lift off oversteer. As for body roll, well there was none! the car sits so unbelievably flat through the corners it just instills confidence.  The steering is sharp, where you point, it goes, very reactive and its beautifully balanced, giving great feedback, you just keep pushing and the car keeps gripping. I can't wait to get Sharky on a track and see what it can really do on the limit. Having done the whole springs, shocks, adjustable coil-overs on previous cars i can say that bang for buck the front and rear ARB upgrade transforms the cars handling far better. 

The only negative I've noticed is a little rubbing noise at low speed braking, guessing its the bushes but ill give things a while to settle in first, it has only been a few hours!  :party:

• Like 3

If you get a Polar FIS you'll be able to monitor all kinds of stuff on your Maxi-Dot screen including intake temps. :)

I run one in my Yeti RS and it's very handy.

Thanks Richard, that would be great, are they plug and play units or is it a VCDS type device?

Thanks Richard, that would be great, are they plug and play units or is it a VCDS type device?

Plug and play.

It fits up behind the dash and connects to the ECU.

Effectively it lets you see a fair amount of readings you can't access on the move, with three screens of four you can customise.

Then you can switch between the three screens using the scroll button on the steering wheel.

I have essential temps on page 1, then misfire count on page 2 (for fault finding) and ignition retarding due to poor fuel etc.. on page 3.

• Like 1

Plug and play.

It fits up behind the dash and connects to the ECU.

Effectively it lets you see a fair amount of readings you can't access on the move, with three screens of four you can customise.

Then you can switch between the three screens using the scroll button on the steering wheel.

I have essential temps on page 1, then misfire count on page 2 (for fault finding) and ignition retarding due to poor fuel etc.. on page 3.

VAG are missing a trick there, they could charge a upgrade fee to have access to the info. I love that you can also monitor laps and 0-60 times, that little box could get very addictive!  :nerd:

Cool might put one on my superb if it will fit you noticed any difference in mpg after the intercooler was fitted

Seems a little better at higher cruising speeds, I'll have to do a brim to brim to check but it certainly not had any adverse effects.

• Like 1

Wonder how the CR170 intercooler compares to the Greenline one...anyone know if it's bigger, perhaps more akin to the S3 one ?

Also - do you know if it was a straight swap, or was any pipework modification required ?

I wondered whose Yeti it was on Shark's FB page the other day. Now I know :)

• Like 1

Wonder how the CR170 intercooler compares to the Greenline one...anyone know if it's bigger, perhaps more akin to the S3 one ?

Also - do you know if it was a straight swap, or was any pipework modification required ?

I wondered whose Yeti it was on Shark's FB page the other day. Now I know :)

When we checked the parts numbers it was a surprise to find all the diesel variant Yeti's use the same Intercooler!

The S3 Intercooler was a straight fit and used the existing pipe work :)

• Like 1

When we checked the parts numbers it was a surprise to find all the diesel variant Yeti's use the same Intercooler!

The S3 Intercooler was a straight fit and used the existing pipe work :)

That is a surprise.

So - no brackets or other work to get it to fit - just unbolt original, and fit new one ?

(Presumably after removing the crashbar etc).

I presume that's the part cost only, no labour ?

Yep, straight forward fit once crash bar is removed, I think it was £60 on top of that aswell for 2 hours labour, I'll check the invoice as it is wall lumped in with the ARB fitting.

Decisions, decisions!!

The first qoutes are coming in for the next phase of development and for Turbo, DPF delete, mapping and labour its currently at around 2K on top of whats already been laid out. 

For an extra 15-20bhp (possibly more, we just don't know until its done and mapped in) I'm wondering if this is the way to go, or should i think about taking the car a different route?

Love to hear your thoughts, If i could get the work down to around 1K id be more happy with the bang for buck results. 

It's your call, but I am not a fan of removing DPFs from diesels.

That's why I left my CR170 Yeti at stage 1 (200-210bhp) and decided to go for a petrol for a faster machine.

You have done some good work so far, so are now in the area of diminishing returns.

All the easy power has been released, from here on it gets expensive.  Quite often for smaller gains.

Presumably that doesn't include the cost of the brakes either?

• Like 1

One old Intercooler

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

One brand new S3 Intercooler

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's difficult to tell from the photos how much larger the S3 IC is...where would you say is the main difference - height, width or depth ?

The standard one looks a reasonable size to start with. Much better than the crappy little side-mount ones VAG used to fit on the PD engines anyway!

• Like 1

It's difficult to tell from the photos how much larger the S3 IC is...where would you say is the main difference - height, width or depth ?

The standard one looks a reasonable size to start with. Much better than the crappy little side-mount ones VAG used to fit on the PD engines anyway!

Hight and width they were the same, it's the density that increases, more vains = more surface area and cooling capacity, 40% more than the standard one :)

It's your call, but I am not a fan of removing DPFs from diesels.

That's why I left my CR170 Yeti at stage 1 (200-210bhp) and decided to go for a petrol for a faster machine.

You have done some good work so far, so are now in the area of diminishing returns.

All the easy power has been released, from here on it gets expensive.  Quite often for smaller gains.

Presumably that doesn't include the cost of the brakes either?

Nope, thats just the engine work, I'm with you on the pdf, was hoping its avoidable, theres a couple more quotes to come. One option is that xman750 has a turbo for £450, bolt that on, remap again but leave the pdf alone, would leave it around a very usable 170bhp for about 1K then do the brakes, probably another £500, 1.5K plus the 17" Teron wheels I've got coming. 

Another thought line is, leave the engine as is, put on a turbo back system (would love a resonated Milltek) see if ecu needs another tweak, do the brakes (making it over all faster, later braking etc) gloss black vinyl wrap on the roof, plus the 17's and job done. 

It will still leave it a one off Yeti Greenline, just not in the way i was originally thinking. 

You know the DPF is there for a reason? To prevent people having to inhale the nasty bits of the diesel combustion process?

Isn't it a bit inconsiderate to society as a whole to just go removing this system in the pursuit of a slightly faster car?