Why didn't the vRS sell better?

AJR77

Without wishing to spark an outcry (as all too often seems to happen on Briskoda when talking a viewpoint not everyone shares) i'd personally sum up the vRS as a good value fast (not hot) hatch that is well built and with a unique (and when working right utterly brilliant) powerchain. It did however fall well short in the handling, braking and looks dept to have ever become a huge commercial success.

I am also confident that Skoda were allowed to make the vRS only if it absolutely did not stand its ground against its Ibiza/Polo and A1 siblings and utterly show them up, as its evident with some basic mods that it can be made into a very competent little car. Looks people can get over but a fast hatch with mediocre capabilities otherwise is never going to sell in big volumes.

• Like 1

Without wishing to spark an outcry (as all too often seems to happen on Briskoda when talking a viewpoint not everyone shares) i'd personally sum up the vRS as a good value fast (not hot) hatch that is well built and with a unique (and when working right utterly brilliant) powerchain. It did however fall well short in the handling, braking and looks dept to have ever become a huge commercial success.

I'd agree but add it was only good value with huge discounts. At £17k it was overpriced and would have put many people off going to the showroom in the first place. Most people on here got theirs with the 20% off or nearly new.

I see people on here paying £300+ pcm for a vRS on pcp and that's crazy it's getting to Golf R / M135i money.

Lee

• Like 1

The difference with the Polo GTI & the vRS Hatch (Estate)

Balance & Weight,   The Polo 3 door, & then the 5 door, had the Battery put in the Boot, no Spare wheel as Standard, and 215 /40 R 17 Tyres.

They are Heavier than the vRS Hatch and Estate.

Same Tyres fitted on the Ibiza Cupra, & then the A1 185ps.

The vRS Hatch was lighter, battery in the Engine Compartment, Spare Wheel in the Boot, 25 kg ballast on the Crash Bar. 205/40 R17 Tyres.

Then the vRS Estate Handled better as standard than the Hatch,  because of the 9 3/4" extra Rear Length, same Wheel Base,

and different Springs & Dampers,

it drives and feels a bit more like the Polo GTI,

Way it Handles and gets Front Grip,  Better Balance.

put 215/40 R 17 tyres on the Estate, or even the Hatch, and some will be aware of the improvement.

Edited by goneoffSKi

So. People say the vrs doesnt handle as well as rivals.

What about the Polo gti? Its based on the same platform, runs the same engine etc etc. does it have something that makes it handle superior? Anti roll bar? Or?

I'm pretty sure the Polo is based on a later platform while the Fabia shares the same platform as the previous generation (now two generations ago) Polo (9n3).

I'm pretty sure the Polo is based on a later platform while the Fabia shares the same platform as the previous generation (now two generations ago) Polo (9n3).

Yeah, as George says, The fabia was updated to the pq25 platform when it was facelifted in 2010.

So theyre running the same platform.

So unless its got an anti roll bar as standard, or something similar, they should handle the same?

• Like 1

Did you just ignore what i tried to explained, Weight,  fore and aft, Balance,  Battery in the Rear,  Weight Distribution,  Different Tyres,  Change the Dampers, 

That is what you do to set up a car, you engineer it.

Skoda stuck 25 KG on the crashbar and a Spare Wheel in.   Instead of Spend the Same and Put the Battery in the Boot, & different Springs and Dampers.

Some buy and improve their vRS as Skoda could easily of done,

but then it has t be less of a desirable car than the VW.

http://youtube.co.uk/watch?v=PrxtAMfJQv0

http://youtube.co.uk/watch?v=8PP-orGRsB8

Edited by goneoffSKi

Did you just ignore what i tried to explained, Weight, fore and aft, Balance, Battery in the Rear, Weight Distribution, Different Tyres, Change the Dampers,

That is what you do to set up a car, you engineer it.

Skoda stuck 25 KG on the crashbar and a Spare Wheel in. Instead of Spend the Same and Put the Battery in the Boot, & different Springs and Dampers.

Some buy and improve their vRS as Skoda could easily of done,

but then it has t be less of a desirable car than the VW.

http://youtube.co.uk/watch?v=PrxtAMfJQv0

http://youtube.co.uk/watch?v=8PP-orGRsB8

No George, i didnt just ignore it, i never saw it. Obviously, or i wouldnt if asked the question.

Not too much different then really. So a vrs on eibachs or such like shouldnt be too far off the mark.

Thats all i was asking. Thank you.

• Like 1

Yeah, as George says, The fabia was updated to the pq25 platform when it was facelifted in 2010.

So theyre running the same platform.

So unless its got an anti roll bar as standard, or something similar, they should handle the same?

Every day is a school day!

• Like 1

Tyres make a fair difference, and 215/40 R 17 are a good choice, or even 16" 205's for the road change the ride.

I think im gonna sort some 16 inch alba wheels out next year sometime.

Not for the ride, just for the aesthetics!

Itll be interesting to see what difference it makes though

Handling seems passable to me - on twisty roads when following supposedly better handling cars I often find myself having to brake only because the car in front is braking - although that's probably down to driver ability / confidence or lack of it!

Pity us poor vRS owners - we appear to have purchased the worst car ever produced :rain: .

Edited for embarrassing spelling mistake :blush:.

• Like 1

Handling seems passable to me - on twisty roads when following supposedly better handling cars I often find myself having to break only because the car in front braking - although that's probably down to driver ability / confidence or lack of it!

Pity us poor vRS owners - we appear to have purchased the worst car ever produced :rain: .

No don't take that title away from my Clio :rofl:
  • Like 1

Handling seems passable to me - on twisty roads when following supposedly better handling cars I often find myself having to brake only because the car in front is braking - although that's probably down to driver ability / confidence or lack of it!

Edited for embarrassing spelling mistake :blush:.

Haha. Mate, if youd bought a ferrari 458, there will always be somebody that says 'well, it wont go around a corner as fast as a Nissan gtr or a 911 turbo'

I dont think my fabia handles too bad. It rolls around a fair bit, but its not too bad.

It is down to the driver more than anything.

As iv mentioned before, i saw off a lowered mk4 golf in the corners (obviously not on the straights, in the little htp). Im sure that golf should of been faster in the bends, especially on coilovers, but it wasnt.

A lot of it is down to the driver. I dont claim to be anything special in a car, but i dont think im completely useless haha.

• Like 3

Although the Polo does feel a little more balanced and turns in a bit better it still suffers from the same numb lifeless steering though. There's still the understeer mid corner on power, it still didn't get our money.

The Fiesta ST keeps getting mentioned and it's just in a different league, the chassis is a living thing and the steering is full of feel. You know exactly what the front wheels are doing and you can get on the power so much earlier.

Lee

In a different league, because it is in a different class,

Small car,  but 3 door car (in the UK ) and a manual car, built from the experiences of Ford.

No defence of this Numb and lifeless steering, but there are Steering Assistance that can be changed, Tyres, pressures an TC to go off.

Its a Road Car that can actually go quite well and some like the handling, and those that do not surely do not buy them,

& then tell everyone why and what was wrong with it.

The Fiesta ST is Wonderful, the Focus ST is Wonderful,  they are manuals from Ford, and some are not buying manuals from Ford if looking at 

automatics from the Volkswagen Group, 

or the cheapest option from Skoda,

Edited by goneoffSKi

I'm thinking of getting the old dear a Fiesta ST - she's 67 so wondering what it's like pootering about - would imagine it's easily manageable in non-attack mode?

In a different league but as it's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread I'll bring it up - saw my first M135i today - that would be my ideal car - RWD and seriously rapid but not in yer face!

• Like 1

I'm thinking of getting the old dear a Fiesta ST - she's 67 so wondering what it's like pootering about - would imagine it's easily manageable in non-attack mode?

In a different league but as it's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread I'll bring it up - saw my first M135i today - that would be my ideal car -RWD and seriously rapid but not in yer face!

Go for it! I like em!

Just never been keen on the interior, but love rverything else about the ST.

Keep meaning to book a test drive tbh