Sheered stud when changing downpipe - HELP PLEASE!

Ok, this is currently being discussed in another thread but need more eyes having a look and options of any, so have created its own thread.

Mankee has already suggested trying to get a bolt on the remaining bit of stud to try and wind it out. my answer below which also explains my problem:

Basically out the four bolts 2 came off with not too much trouble, the other two decided to be tits. We cracked them and they started un doing, went tight and then really tight. One sheered and the other actually undid the stud from the manifold (I think that's what it is called!?) we managed to get the stud back in as we just used the nut on it to tighten it back in and then fortunately it stayed strong whilst we tightened the nut up further.

There is enough of the stud showing to be able to get mole grips on it, however when we tried this the grips just started to chew the thread! I'm not sure a nut will go on it to be honest. Anything else I could try?? I will try the nut solution but as it sheered I think it would just sheer again?

Edited by frenchieg

I'd drill it out if possible and retap it. Or maybe try a stud removal tool.

I would have no idea how I would get a drill in there. Could barely get the wrench in to get the damn things off. Unless you know something I don't? Also to re-tap it would be very difficult as again not a lot of space

This ^^^ I've used the Workzone (Aldi) kit and it shocked me and is really good

When you say you used it, do you mean you sheered the stud and this is what you used to get it out? Any chance you could get a pic of what kit you're on about please? Thanks

i had to remove the turbo and weld a nut to the stud when this happened to me :clap: came off easy on the bench with 1/2 breaker bar :p

Crap this is not what I wanted as its my daily. Ooops. Is it relatively easy getting the turbo out, or would I be able to weld a nut on with it in place??

I'm being thick, whats the difference between stud removal tool and drill n tap?? :drunk:

stud removal tool is what Toxic posted a pic of. It goes into the stud anti-clockwise (left hand thread) bites into the stud and unscrews it.

stud removal tool is what Toxic posted a pic of. It goes into the stud anti-clockwise (left hand thread) bites into the stud and unscrews it.

Ah ok, that maybe an option if I can't get someone with a torch a weld a nut. So just to clarify, the tool that toxic posted a pic of gets screwed on, assuming you need a fair bit of pressure? and eventually unscrews the stud after biting into it? Is this correct?

• Like 1

i tired eveything i could think of at the time but nothing worked, the only thing i could see working was these 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-4-Piece-Stud-Remover-Concentric-Rolling-Extractor-Socket-Set-6-12mm-/271593700844?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f3c3efdec

really is no room for anything else,but that failed to as i sheared to much off :sweat:

not best pic first thing i ever tried to weld and it held :devil:

r7ngao.jpg