Parking Sensors

I've just bought a new Rapid SE Greentech. All very nice and we're very happy with it. I'm here to ask a query about the parking sensors. When I ordered the car as a new build from my Skoda dealer, I requested the option of the parking sensors. He told me these had to be fitted by the dealership once the car had been received. This seemed odd, but I presumed was the way. Now, I was expecting these sensors to not only give out an acoustic beep on reversing, but for a visual display to appear on the Amundsen kit I also had installed. But there is no display. I asked the dealer about this, and they tell me that I only get this with a factory fitted sensor on a new build. Which begs a number of questions. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it currently not possible to order a new Rapid with the seniors fitted before it arrives at a dealer? Should what I got have cost the same as the option as given in the brochure? 

I got the same thing.

Retrofitted sensors but I wasn't told they'll be retrofitted. Up until the day I was picking up my car I thought they were factory installed.

I was certainly shocked to see no visual display either. Although I never really used it much on my old car, it was nice to have.

How long did you have to wait for the car?

When we signed up to ours, the delay was 3 months, so the car does not exist yet. I would expect our order to have the sensors added during manufacture.

If your order had already been made and was on route to the uk, then that would explain why they will be retro fitted.

I'm wary of the dealer doing this with our new Citigo order. Factory fitted will display on the PID so we will soon find out. It seems to be a sneaky way of dealers making a bit more profit whilst minimising order delays. Regarding price, the dealers do tend to charge the same as the factory fit option.

How long did you have to wait for the car?

When we signed up to ours, the delay was 3 months, so the car does not exist yet. I would expect our order to have the sensors added during manufacture.

If your order had already been made and was on route to the uk, then that would explain why they will be retro fitted.

Ordered in the middle of June. Arrived shortly after the 20th of August. I have a lot of options so I'm fairly certain it was a complete new build.

It was a new car, not from stock. A completely new build, and I ordered the parking sensors as I ordered the car, along with other options. Has the dealer saved themselves some money doing this? The order was in May. Delivered end of August. 

There is ONE rule : if the car has 4 rear parking sensors, it's definitely a dealer retrofit!

Why? Beacause factory fitted rear parking sensors in Rapids are always 3.

Edited by harisma23

I got parking sensors fitted and did not realise until later that they were not the Skoda type (3 off and on the Swing sccreen etc) but buzzer type (4off). :notme: They charged ne £350 for the pleasure. :thumbdown:

They work fine to be honest,,, but would have liked the visual screen guide also. :nerd:

Heh Ho!! :sun: :sun:

Bidey fae Perth

So, is this a trading standards issue? I thought I was paying for a genuine Skoda part, made as an option in ordering a new build, a part which functioned a certain way, not the way that the given part does, and I actually was not, to the Dealer's financial advantage?

I've just emailed my dealer to confirm mine will be factory fitted.

I checked the brochure and it clearly states Factory Fitted Optional Equipment.

Will report back, but for those who have already got retro fitted ones, I would suggest you complain.

• Like 1

I got parking sensors fitted and did not realise until later that they were not the Skoda type (3 off and on the Swing sccreen etc) but buzzer type (4off). :notme: They charged ne £350 for the pleasure. :thumbdown:

They work fine to be honest,,, but would have liked the visual screen guide also. :nerd:

£350 for a set of aftermarket sensors, that you could have bought from e-bay for £10 ? :wonder:

What a rip-off... :thumbdown:

P.S. : I bought a set of 4 with a visual screen and painted in the desired colour, just a month ago for £11 and had it fitted (in my wife's 13 year old Yaris) for another £20...

I've queried what happened, and will write to the Dealer manager. I'll let you know what reply I get.\

Interestingly, an email from the bodyshop said "to purchase genuine ones when the car has already been built I know they cost a fortune". So, the bodyshop there seem to know that what they fitted were not the genuine article. 

You can still add options even if in the system i did with my Fabia even on the build week

Then you are the unusual one! Dealer claimed he could not add alloys to our citigo 3 weeks before build. I couldn't get the order ref to confirm this with Skoda, either, so we just had to accept it... Annoyingly!

I know there was a restriction on parking sensors from the factory around that time but they have been lifted now.

If this was the reason then a.) it should have been explained and b.) the correct sensors should have been fitted once they were available. 

Also, if there was a simple explanation, then you'd have thought a simple answer to my polite query about this issue would be in my inbox just now. Instead of this very supportive one from trading standards...

• Like 1

The problem with fitting aftermarket sensors tho is they won't show up on the display on the radio unit. And I agree you should have been explained this at the point of order I know how much people actually rely on sensors

Exactly. If he'd said 'You can pay £350 for a factory fitted option with acoustic and visual display or you can pay £350 for a retrofitted one with only acoustic alerts, and by the way a lower re-sale value" I might have gone with the first option. What actually was said was Dealer: "we fit that once we receive the car" Me: "Is that not fitted in the factory then?" Him: "No, we do that".

Having a chat with the Motor Industry Code of Practice people in the morning.