Breakdown cover options?

glenmc

My Octavia is now 3 years old, so no longer covered by Skoda assist.

Any recommendations for breakdown cover - including europe cover?

I have in the past used auto-aid, but they do not do euro-cover, expect on a trip by trip basis through a sister company.

Skoda will extend cover for £90 a year using AA, but this seems a bit expensive for something I hope to not have to use :)

Thought about ADAC?

They offer their Plus membership that covers european wide:

http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/default.aspx?quer=mitgliedschaft_leistungen%2fmitgliedschaftstarife%2fmembership%2fdefault.asp

You need to ring to buy if you don't have a german address.

Phil

My Roomster is coming up to five years old.  At three years old, I purchased Skoda Assist for an additional two years expiring September 2014.

In 2013, the RAC (yes - RAC) wrote to tell me it was providing Skoda Assist directly and enclosed an RAC membership card expiring September 2014.

Today, I received a renewal invitation from the RAC:  

Roadside, Recovery, At Home, Onward Travel, European Cover and Accident Care:

Two years' (vehicle based) cover for a total of £145.

Having been a member of the RAC since 1980, I kicked off when my renewal dropped through the letterbox last year and they wanted £210.  This was for Personal Cover, Roadside, Recovery and at Home for the wife and me, covering us both for anything we drive, ride or are a passenger in up to 3.5 tonnes GVW.  It also covers an additional nominated vehicle based at the same address, so I had added my son's car as both the wife and I were covered for all eventualities.

I phoned them to whinge about the cost of renewal and having seen that I had been a member for so long, offered me the same level of cover and included Onward Travel for £129, which I accepted.

When we went to France earlier this year, I paid an additional premium of £75, through TopCashback (who gave me £15 back) for Comprehensive European Cover for the 15 days we were away.  I could have taken a full year for a little over £100, but as there is little chance of me getting across the Channel until our summer hols next year, I decided against it.

Green Flag were cheaper for a similar level of cover against the original renewal price, but were much dearer than the offer that I was made when I complained.

Having had to use my breakdown cover on occasions and always received good service from the RAC, I am loathe to change to a different company.  As with your car insurance, you can always get a cheaper quote, but you only find out how good your insurers are if you make a claim.

When I got my vRS in 2011 at time I ordered I took the at time 2 year extra warranty unlimited mileage and RAC cover. I know it has changed since and costs more to extend it at this stage, but would it be worth offsetting the cost of breakdown against also having extended warranty? 

With The AA (and maybe others?) it's you that's covered, not the car. So you're automatically covered in your gf's car, dad's car, the new car you've not got round to telling the breakdown service about yet etc. You also don't need to be the driver either, and you're covered on bikes too.

ADAC use AA I believe for UK cover.

The only slight issue is that all their documentation is issued in German and when you call you have to call a German number but most will likely speak English (with a simple "Sprechen sie Englisch?").

It's certainly a good price for the cover they provide.

Phil

Having been a member of the RAC since 1980, I kicked off when my renewal dropped through the letterbox last year and they wanted £210. This was for Personal Cover, Roadside, Recovery and at Home for the wife and me, covering us both for anything we drive, ride or are a passenger in up to 3.5 tonnes GVW. It also covers an additional nominated vehicle based at the same address, so I had added my son's car as both the wife and I were covered for all eventualities.

I phoned them to whinge about the cost of renewal and having seen that I had been a member for so long, offered me the same level of cover and included Onward Travel for £129, which I accepted.

When we went to France earlier this year, I paid an additional premium of £75, through TopCashback (who gave me £15 back) for Comprehensive European Cover for the 15 days we were away. I could have taken a full year for a little over £100, but as there is little chance of me getting across the Channel until our summer hols next year, I decided against it.

Green Flag were cheaper for a similar level of cover against the original renewal price, but were much dearer than the offer that I was made when I complained.

Having had to use my breakdown cover on occasions and always received good service from the RAC, I am loathe to change to a different company. As with your car insurance, you can always get a cheaper quote, but you only find out how good your insurers are if you make a claim.

Often you get a much inflated price when you stay loyal.

Its like insurance companies. You can get the best deals by shopping around and changing provider each year.

Otherwise, they'll happily penalise you for you loyalty and hope you dont realise what others are charging.

Often you get a much inflated price when you stay loyal.

Its like insurance companies. You can get the best deals by shopping around and changing provider each year.

Otherwise, they'll happily penalise you for you loyalty and hope you dont realise what others are charging.

I find green flag to be quite good and I've used them a lot :)

Since I've owned the Clio I've made some good friends at the local breakdown contractors :)

Having owned an Alfa for the past few years, I'm also very well known at my previous breakdown company - I think they have probably thrown a party to celebrate the fact that I have not renewed with them :)

With The AA (and maybe others?) it's you that's covered, not the car. So you're automatically covered in your gf's car, dad's car, the new car you've not got round to telling the breakdown service about yet etc. You also don't need to be the driver either, and you're covered on bikes too.

be care full booking on line as the cheapest quote will be for vehicle based only, the car is covered  not the driver.

Thanks all, after all the suggestions and advice, I've decided to go with RAC, via Tesco Clubcard - I have loads of points, and generally only use them for the EuroTunnel.

I was going to suggest that. I did that a few years back, and subsequent renewals are discounted because it was via Tesco. You can also use your points next time if you choose to.

Check the cashback sites. Sometimes you can get cover for a big discount. In the past you could even profit or get it for nothing.