I think my fuel tank has a hole in it...

Yes I agree the range on the MK3 really isnt great....unless of course you can still comfortably drive 70/80 miles with zero range showing which i suspect is unlikely. Some speculation that tje reserve on these things is a good number of litres but ive never fancied trying.

I've pushed 50 miles, but I dont fancy trying 80 :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Deliberately, I knew there was about 8l left in from an indicated 0 range, so thought I would use 5l or so before filling up :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same test here, still only got 48L in, so another few miles could have been had, I've not done it since, but it's good to know it's there if you really need it.

I suppose riding a bike with a 120 mile range makes having a 450 - 500 mile range seem like a luxury.

Edited by Miz
  • Like 1

The reserve is far larger on the diesels than the petrols probably due to the incresed level of PITA of running the diesel dry, at 0 range I once got 49.839l in my little TSI :peek:

Do the pumps in the UK measure to 3 decimal places?

Do they do that in the pubs for the beer pumps? After all beer costs more than petrol, and is infinitely more precious.

Most I can remember being claimed for a filling a mk3 tank on any forum is 54 litres (claimed 50 litre tank) and the most for a Mk2 was 64 litres (claimed 55 litre tank)

Fuel tank size has been discussed on her before and it was clear TDIs show 0 when there is 15ltrs left to protect (dirty word follows, for the sensitive please overt you eyes) DPF and petrol cars do not.

Just for interest I have just completed a 75 mile run across country in my 1.4TSI using dual carriage ways, motorway and town roads with four in the car. Set the ACC to the relevant speed limits for each road outward run 49.4 return (more up hill) 45.9MP - that's as good as my old 1.6TDI Fabia.

Edit adjusted read out MPG out 47 return 43.5MPG.

Edited by Dempsek

The reduction from 55 to 50 litres isn't a problem at all - I definitely get more than ten percent better MPG compared to my Pd140 mk2.

What is an issue is not being able to reliably use all 50 litres. On my Bravo when it said zero miles remaining it was much closer to empty than the Skoda is so I could use nearly all the available range.

Compared to my manual Audi A4 2.0 TDI 140PD the DSG Octavia is 2mpg better round town and the exact same on a run so maybe just maybe 5% better economy (round the doors) but seeing that the Audi was ~12mpg down on quoted figures, the Octavia is ~18mpg down so a smaller fuel tank isn't simply clever it's simply ****.

• Like 1

The reserve is far larger on the diesels than the petrols probably due to the incresed level of PITA of running the diesel dry, at 0 range I once got 49.839l in my little TSI :peek:

I raise your 50L to 55 L

Today's fill up

Edit: I drove a while after range 0...
Edited by jthyssen
  • Like 2

The 4x4 versions are supposed to have a 55 litre tank, the most I have put in over 10500 miles is 50.8 litres and I think I'd done about 15 miles with zero range. Part of me is tempted to see how far I can go with zero range, another thinks it'd just be my luck to run out!

I raise your 50L to 55 L

Edit: I drove a while after range 0...

Gotta say I'm impressed and I'm surprized you could get outta the car at the petrol station with balls that big !

Does it show negative miles after zero ? and did you pass any petrol stations after its said zero ?

• Like 1

Gotta say I'm impressed and I'm surprized you could get outta the car at the petrol station with balls that big !

Does it show negative miles after zero ? and did you pass any petrol stations after its said zero ?

I can't remember the details as it was a while ago, but I actually thought I had plenty to spare when I filled it up, but I guess I was wrong...

It stays at 0, but the needle moves further and further into the red. 

The range isnt significantly better than my wifes 1.6 petrol Astra H and that only has a 55l tank and isnt fantastic on fuel (38-40mpg perhaps).

Its frustrating having to refuel so often, 1st VAG diesel car ive had thats not easily cracked 500 miles from a tank.

Your wifes Astra is similar to my old Ford in figures. Same size tank, and same sort of mpg most of the time. Driving from Kent to Scotland I would refuel in Lancaster. Gauge would show about quarter tank left, and id be pushing it to make Edinburgh on that. Now im assuming out of that 55l tank, there was about 53/ 54l to use before zero. I think there was a small bit of leeway.

Last summer I drove back from Edinburgh to Kent in my 2l Octy TDI. 50l tank but with only about 45l useage until it shows zero. So nearly 10l extra. I reached Kent with over quarter tank left, with an MPG figure of over 68.

I for one am not going to complain if I can reach Edinburgh on a tank of fuel. Especially if that 5l smaller tank reduces the weight a tiny bit, and reduces the fuel useage that tiny bit more.

• Like 1

Your wifes Astra is similar to my old Ford in figures. Same size tank, and same sort of mpg most of the time. Driving from Kent to Scotland I would refuel in Lancaster. Gauge would show about quarter tank left, and id be pushing it to make Edinburgh on that. Now im assuming out of that 55l tank, there was about 53/ 54l to use before zero. I think there was a small bit of leeway.

Last summer I drove back from Edinburgh to Kent in my 2l Octy TDI. 50l tank but with only about 45l useage until it shows zero. So nearly 10l extra. I reached Kent with over quarter tank left, with an MPG figure of over 68.

I for one am not going to complain if I can reach Edinburgh on a tank of fuel. Especially if that 5l smaller tank reduces the weight a tiny bit, and reduces the fuel useage that tiny bit more.

Clarkson could go from London to Edinburgh and back on a single tank of fuel and that was a 4litre engine so your pathetic one way in a 2.0 isn't that great :p

Clarkson could go from London to Edinburgh and back on a single tank of fuel and that was a 4litre engine so your pathetic one way in a 2.0 isn't that great :p

What vehicle?

Remember I had over quarter tank left. So could have come part way back if id wanted!!

There are obviously better vehicles out there, but im not going to complain about the range of the car. Its perfectly adequate for me.

What vehicle?

Remember I had over quarter tank left. So could have come part way back if id wanted!!

There are obviously better vehicles out there, but im not going to complain about the range of the car. Its perfectly adequate for me.

He drove an Audi A8. That thing probably has a massive tank, so not that impressive.

I'm very curious about some of the mpg rates being quoted on here.  I think there must be something wrong with my car.

I do about 700 miles a week and, according to the maxi-dot thing, I never get above an average of 43mpg.  The majority of my travel is late at night to avoid traffic, meaning I can motor along with cruise control set above the limit, but not at licence losing speeds.

When crossing the M62 through the 50mph limit, with cruise control set to 53, I can get about 46mpg.

The fuel I buy is standard diesel (not the premium stuff) and a mixture of Shell, BP and supermarkets - whatever is convenient really.

The Skoda is miles away from my old 2009 BMW 320D SE.  Same roads, same conditions and an average mpg of 55mpg.

Any tips?

Use fifth and sixth?

My missus drives a 5-speed, and she quite often forgets there's an extra gear in my car (she doesn't drive it all that often). I started off sitting alongside saying things like "it's got 6 gears you know" but now I just resort to "don't make me say it!" To be fair, I'm a bit scared of what's going to happen when I forget that her car doesn't have the 6th gear, since that's where reverse lives, with no collar lift/press action required!

I'm assuming that freddyg's is a diesel? If so it definitely doesn't sound right.

Any tips?

Did you use cruise on the BMW as well?  

My Octavia is my first car with cruise - but I find it much less efficient than my own throttle control.  It quite aggressively applies a lot of throttle going up hills and the economy suffers.  Losing a few mph going up hill and then gaining them again down the other side is a lot more efficient.

Having said that - yours does sound on the low side for economy.  I assume you've done all the usual tyre pressure, binding brake checks etc. ?

I'm very curious about some of the mpg rates being quoted on here.  I think there must be something wrong with my car.

I do about 700 miles a week and, according to the maxi-dot thing, I never get above an average of 43mpg.  The majority of my travel is late at night to avoid traffic, meaning I can motor along with cruise control set above the limit, but not at licence losing speeds.

When crossing the M62 through the 50mph limit, with cruise control set to 53, I can get about 46mpg.

The fuel I buy is standard diesel (not the premium stuff) and a mixture of Shell, BP and supermarkets - whatever is convenient really.

The Skoda is miles away from my old 2009 BMW 320D SE.  Same roads, same conditions and an average mpg of 55mpg.

Any tips?

How many miles are on the new car Freddy ?