What an RAF pilot can teach us about being safe on the road

tweenster

The neurology is correct. A lot of what we see is actually the brain's software filling in the blanks.

One way for bikers to help themselves is to fit lights to the sides of indicators or the tank. Makes the bike artificially wider and easier to see.

PS How do you know when an RAF fighter pilot walks in the room?

He'll tell you.

A pilot's Dad told me that.

• Like 2

The neurology is correct. A lot of what we see is actually the brain's software filling in the blanks.

One way for bikers to help themselves is to fit lights to the sides of indicators or the tank. Makes the bike artificially wider and easier to see.

PS How do you know when an RAF fighter pilot walks in the room?

He'll tell you.

A pilot's Dad told me that.

Extended width DRL's are becoming more common now on newer bikes and as a retrofit that grows in popularity, I think it really makes a difference when you see one coming. Positioning any constant lights especially white beside indicators I would be against as it could be dangerous as they may mask the amber flashing indicators and the riders intentions. American style indicators which are illuminated all the time but flash to denote the intended change of direction would not be the worst thing for bikes in the EU. 

MAG is 110% against the use of DRL's on motorcycles and has a rather lengthy report and findings on pros vs cons which is quite insightful. But I still see no harm in it is positioned appropriately. 

Not even beside but too close for my liking with regard to masking the indicators. 

led-ultimate-running-light-pods-4.jpg

Lower is what I see most and seems to be a good option

cree-led-running-lights-3.jpg

• Like 1

Very interesting article and includes many things I have suspected all along.

Why is it that drivers of dark coloured vehicles are always the last to light up on a dismal day?   Why do so many cyclists ride without lights?

Edited by bealine

I totally agree with the daylight driving lights on bicycles and motor-cycles as opposed to some cars being over-the-top when they are fitted to them.

Have seen some AUDI cars where the driving lights are blinding so my avoidance to see/look at the car is avoided, (not good) and defeats the point in them being fitted.

The idea of sidelights even dipped headlights is quite enough to make the point of being there and not blind me to them as an approaching driver.

• Like 1

Dipped Headlights for me, every time...............

Agree about Audi running lights - BMW, Mercedes lights can be quite dazzling too!

..........and what about the new LED tail lights the HGV community seem to be fitting?   They burn as intensely as rear fog lights and hurt your eyes when you're behind them! 

I think DRLs on cars is part of the problem, bikers don't stand out as much with their headlights on in a sea of DRLs.

More DRLs on the bikes will help in the short term, but we'll soon get to the stage where there is a DRL arms race between bikers, cycles and cars where anything without lights is ignored (pedestrians, darwin award contestant cyclists etc).

Perhaps a change of colour might be an idea, perhaps blue/ green and obviously won't flash on/off I am talking about bicycles and motor-bikes not cars..

Although I have seen some cyclists with rear flashing red lights which works for me, to tell they are there.

It's the level of forward beam direction of these daylight driving lights, that seems to be the main cause blinding approaching drivers, they are set too bloody high in my opinion..

i always flick my dipped beams on, in every vehicle i drive... And always remind the missus when shes driving my car to do the same - hers had drls so its easy forget. Drls dont need to be mega bright, just enough that even with a low sun backlighting the car u can pick them out. A low aim would be good too. For motor bikes/cyclists its the same perhaps brighter but aimed down to allow for the higher position. If they are set beside indicators fine, but wire them like audi drls - so they dim or turn off wen indicating....

Interesting point and many that's I've said for years. Yes we all know that we should be wary of cyclists and bikes but as it says in the last section, make sure the driver has seen you, if not expect that they may pull out. At the end of the day you're the soft object not the car.

Does explain how so many people are so shocked when they pull out of the junction.

That's one of the reasons riding a bike makes you a better driver.

you have to learn to read other drivers and have a wider awareness of the road (always have an escape route) because if you don't you'll get SMIDSY'd.

• Like 1