4th turbo just blown, 208,000 miles - time to decide! Help!?!?!

bickie

Its fitted exactly like mine mate? I might be being really thick and missing something here? Lol

Here is mine fitted

20140822_200144_zpslrumxr3b.jpg

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - right an update - the ASV was turned 90 degrees after fitting the Darkside EGR (mines the BLT)...a simple hack saw of the Samco pipe clip, turned 90 degrees and jubilee clipped - job done, all fitted :)

Post-remap (they got rid of the EGR delete eml) there was still one fault remaining...the G62 coolant sensor (EML on/off intermittently). I finally gave up and took it to Skoda yesterday...

New sensor and wiring replaced - job done again, it drove home like a new car!

And then...this morning the EML is back (presumably the G62 again)...

Anyone aware of G62 issues post-remap or EGR delete? I have a horrible feeling Skoda will just blame it on either of them!

• 1 month later...

Happy new year all...just an update on my furby...all running fine since EGR delete/remap...except for the EML.

However, the 'garage' (and I use that term VERY loosely) that fitted the EGR delete did nothing with the vacuum hose - it was just flapping in the wind.

I've sealed it off (cable tied it to a bolt) and am hoping to get the remaining EGR fault code cleared asap.

I'm guessing that's why the EML won't clear (assuming it's been properly remapped)??

(BTW - never expected an increase in fuel economy, but am regularly getting >400 miles a tank!!).

Cheers again to everyone for their help and advice in getting me back on the road!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read.  (Sorry for hijacking thread)

My original turbo just gone on my 170k miles VRS, very pleased its lasted this long.  I had hoped it would just be the piping, of course, but not the case this time.   Intercooler went, and was changed at about 140k.  Still getting over 400 miles per tank, but most of that is motorway cruising.

Looking at alternatives for turbo replacement.  (Garage is as well). It's quite funny to be "unhappy" when it's done this many miles, but everything else is running smoothly, and feel that its worth while replacing the turbo and continue using the car.

Any idea what the average life is on one of these, before it becomes uneconomical to repair them ?   I suppose it down to luck of the draw, and how hard they are generally driven ?

Partly luck of the draw partly how it's looked after and driven yeah. It's not unheard off for the standard turbo to give up before 100k in some cases so 170k is good going as the standard KKK turbo isn't known for being a strong unit compared to the garret turbo. 

The only other issue these engines can suffer from is cam wear due to the pump duse design, that's why using the correct oil is imperative on these and sticking to the service schedule religiously. Could be worth having a mechanic check for signs of cam wear but if you say it's running sweet other than the turbo going I can't see it being an issue just yet on yours. 

Turbo wise I'd defiantly stay away from a KKK unit if your changing it you may as well go for a PD150 with a mild map or get a re-con turbo from xman on here I believe he's called. 

All seems strange, if you have broken 4 turbos @ an average of 50k that's 200k miles!!!

Maybe time to get another car! I have a Toyota Celica (St 165) 1988. I have owned this car for years and it still has the original turbo and over 220k miles. I also have a Skoda Fabia 1900 TDI which has been nothing but trouble from the day I bought it. My advice to you is sell it and buy Japanese.

All seems strange, if you have broken 4 turbos @ an average of 50k that's 200k miles!!!

Maybe time to get another car! I have a Toyota Celica (St 165) 1988. I have owned this car for years and it still has the original turbo and over 220k miles. I also have a Skoda Fabia 1900 TDI which has been nothing but trouble from the day I bought it. My advice to you is sell it and buy Japanese.

The lesson here is Petrol FGT (reliable) versus Diesel VNT (unreliable), you have to compare apples with apples!

My advice to you is sell it and buy Japanese.

Ooh controversial! On a Skoda forum, anyway. Fortunately mine's an SDI so no turbo to go wrong (chug chug chug etc).

Glad you've sorted out your car nothing more annoying than hitting problem after problem, mine will soon be hitting 150k in the next month or two, I can get 300 miles out of half a tank from brim fill then struggle to get over 500 miles, only managed over 500 miles on a couple of occasions best was 585 miles one way to Scotland from South Wales and return journey from brim fill was 535 miles using different diesel brands. But that journey cleaned out the cobwebs.

Liked reading this thread, glad you've sorted out your car nothing more annoying than hitting problem after problem, mine will soon be hitting 150k in the next month or two, I can get 300 miles out of half a tank from brim fill then struggle to get over 500 miles, only managed over 500 miles on a couple of occasions best was 585 miles one way to Scotland from South Wales and return journey from brim fill was 535 miles using different diesel brands. But that journey cleaned out the cobwebs.

• 1 year later...