Kerbed my wheel.

I did this tonight :(

6aqequje.jpg

Very dark road just pulled in quickly for a few minutes when I heard that terrible noise.

It's very deep too as the kerb was all jagged.

I'm gutted!

I'm just going to replace the wheel and not refurb it.

I Bought my Rapid with a kerbed wheel and garage agreed to pay for re furbish.

Got that done and perfect!!!!  :clap:

Unfortunately next day kerbed same wheel :envy:

Its still there and has a friend on the other side as well now. :sweat:

Why do car wheel designers make the alloy wheel edge proud of the rubber almost and make kerbing so ineviatable.

Also all the straight sided "sharp" kerbs we have in the UK don't help. 60 degree angled would prevent or minimise wheel and tyre damage.RANT OVER!!!! :devil: :clap: :thumbdown:

There are however wheel designs who are less susceptible to kerbing (protruding from the tire) and there are tires that are more protective (those with a big lip on the outer side). Should one choose the right wheel design with a "protective" tire design, than it's almost impossible to kerb them.

Edited by harisma23
  • Like 1

My friend has a Citroen DS3 and he bought kerb protectors from the dealership when got the car. They weren't cheap he paid about £120 fitted for them but its a life saver seeing as he is a driving instructor.

I've been looking for some for my new car and you can get them off eBay for about £40. Then you just need someone to fit them as you have to deflate the tyre and pop off the rim of the alloy.

• Like 1

Just bought a set of 17" Mazda alloys, new they are over £700. They have only done 300 miles on a car before I bought them minus tyres, I got them for less than half RRP.

One had a teeny weeny kerb mark otherwise looked new. They want £40 to do a touch up, don't know whether that was good or not. Two coats of silver Hammerite by myself and it all looks good again. I'm paranoid at kerbing them though, keeping well away from high kerbs. Same with the Citigo although they have a little more protection from the tyre.

I think these are diamond cut alloys?

Only just touched the curb but has cut deep into the rim. No damage to the Black painted areas. A new wheel is £175 from the dealer which I shall probally get and use this as a spare.

:'(  to hear, thought I might have done similar this morning hitting a large edge of the road pothole but thankfully both wheel and tyre survived; moving fairly slowly round a stationary vehicle which was trying to turn right at the time.

One of the main disadvantages of rubber band tyres and large alloys, designed more for a race track than a rural UK lane.

TP

• Like 1

I think these are diamond cut alloys?

Only just touched the curb but has cut deep into the rim. No damage to the Black painted areas. A new wheel is £175 from the dealer which I shall probally get and use this as a spare.

17" Ray black glossy Alloy (Rapid Spaceback)

Ref. Code: 5JA071497JX2

£149.22 (£165.80)inc. VAT

special10.png
1391535111_5JA071497JX2_w85_h85.jpg

• 10 months later...

Same wheel again but even worse now.

95fc20bb40c3fc4328799c9f50e52710.jpg

I'll have to replace this before I give it back as its more than 50% of the wheel (from Skodas Fair Wear & Tear guide).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other half done this literally 5 mins after driving out of the garrage with our Rapid. I was going to get it fixed, but chances are it will happen again in the next year, and thats either 125 quid wasted to get it diamond cut & re-laquored or 170 for a new wheel.

So, i decided not to bother for the moment. Its not noticable without going in close, zero friends have noticed and it doesnt affect the cars ability to do what it does.

If you have money to burn, or this is keeping you awake at night then yea, get it sorted, but if it happens in the next day, week, month are you going to keep getting it fixed? Could get expensive very quickly.

Its annoying, but most of the issue is in my head. i can get over it and maybe get them redone when im getting the tires replaced in a year or 18 months. may be able to do a deal then as the refurb place does tires also.

Anyone got alloy wheel rim protectors fitted (alloygators etc)?I am just about to take delivery of a Toledo with 17 inch wheels and rubber band tyres.I went to the local tyre fitters who were willing to fit any protectors I bought for £12.50p a wheel.However the proprietor was not impressed with them and therefore did not stock.His arguments were that if you drive the car properly you won't need them and that they spoil the look of the wheel.Your opinions would be appreciated.

This is the reason that I am loathe to change from 15" alloys and the big spacehopper tyres to 17"s

Would a slightly wider tyre help avoid this happening as there would be a slight overhang of the tyre sidewall and it would take the brunt of any contact with a kerb? Then again there's not much of a sidewall on a 17" compared to a 15" on the Rapid