Need advice on health report on fabia I'm buying

wildbird

I'm (or I was) in the process of buying a 2011 Fabia 1.6 tdi cr 105 Elegance. The car has high mileage. It had not been serviced in the last 10,000 miles, and is coming up to 80,000 miles, so as part of the deal we agreed it would have a full 20,000 mile service which included a health report.  

I have just got the health report back, and there are several items which have come up, but all listed as advisory rather than needing immediate attention.  When I read them they all sound like they need to be done, but the garage selling the car argues that because it passed its MOT three weeks ago and the items are listed as advisory they do not need immediate attention.

My instinct is to walk away from  the deal but I would really appreciate some independent advice.

I've attached the health report..

skoda health report.pdf

None of the items are essential especially wiper blades and tyres. I'd sort those myself when the time was due. Cambelt not needed for another 12m it seems so I wouldn't worry about that.

Depends on how good the deal is? If the car is a bargain it might still be worth pursuing. It is after all relatively high mileage for the year so bound to have some wear and tear.

I think I'd push for the suspension parts to be renewed inc the wheel alignment plus a set of pads as part of the deal.

Good luck and let us know how this pans out!

Is it a really good deal you are getting, and are you happy to spend more money.

Looking at the Health Check upside down,  is it Wiper Blades,   Brake Discs / Pads.  and does it need a Cam Belt. ?

??

Where was the MOT done, at the dealership selling it.

So if it needs Wiper Blades according to the Health Check,  they can fit them.

The Brakes might of passed the Brake Efficiency, but if they are Gubbed, then let them get them replaced.

Are you getting a Good Price , are you happy with a 3-4 year old car with 80,000 miles.?

I would walk,

there are loads of cars all around, and Dealers getting Trade Ins as the New 64 plate Cars are being collected.

• Like 1

PS

Read it all now.

I think i would just walk away from that one.  

Unless it is really cheap enough, for you to then go to a Good Independent and get the work done.  

Maybe. Ask them to Drop the Price, not to do the Work before you collect.

Edited by goneoffSKi

The MOT and the health check were both done at the same garage, as far as I know (Skoda in Colne); the MOT maybe 3 weeks ago, the 20,000 mile health check today.

Clearly wipers and tires are general wear and tear, but I was more worried about the brakes and suspension issues.

It doesn't need a timing belt (why have they put cambelt? I thought they had timing belts). Its just due in a year - or two years and at 130,000 miles (according to another skoda garage, who told me the advice was now 5 years and 130k))

Sorry about the upside down file..  not sure how to post a revised one as  I don't get an option to attach on this reply.

Ta!

Carol

Thank you for your replies...   I think my instinct is to pass on it... the garage won't even budge on doing things like replacing the wipers, as they argue it passed its MOT very recently!

You can probably go to a Public Car Auction and pick one the same up for a Grand or more less than they are asking for that.

Maybe even that one will be at Auction in a very short while.

What was the story with it, Supplied and serviced by them and returned to them, 

or one that They Got Cheap from WBYC's.

Loads of good used cars around, 20,000 thousand miles a year ones are only worth buying when they have had Good Servicing and Maintenance

& are still running good parts at the 1st MOT.  

That is JIMO obviously.

• Like 1

Agree, I would walk lots of others out there. I picked one up for my mother a week ago not a diesel but the 1.2 S 2011 plate.  Knocked off £600 plus 12 months warranty and 12 months MOT.  Lots of good deals to be had.

Thats was from a Skoda delaer.

Edited by pkoconnor

Thank you for your replies...   I think my instinct is to pass on it... the garage won't even budge on doing things like replacing the wipers, as they argue it passed its MOT very recently!

walk im sure there are plenty of other cars around which fit what youre looking for.

afterall its a buyers market, and if theyre wanting to sit on a car like that, let them. then they will have to drop the price to sell it.

while its taking up a space on the lot where there could be a better car for them to pass on,

leave it, theyre mugs imo.

even cambelt in 1 year would put me off.

Agree with the others ,run a mile.

I'm tempted to say that they are thinking that a only a female lacking in car knowledge would swallow the assertion that a car that has passed an MOT is retail sales quality.

Sounds like it's true value is basic trade,less an adjustment for excess mileage,less 500 plus for the defects...in other words it's an auction car.

If a trader buys it at auction,let's hope he's a reputable one who will rectify the main faults before offering it to the public at a competitive price.

• Like 2

Thank you all....   I have passed on it.     The dealer was  bordering on rude and you're right XK140, I did get the impression that they were trading on the "female lacking in car knowledge" ticket. It seems to have disappeared from their sales list, so I suspect they have sent it to auction.

• Like 2

As people are saying, be patient when looking for your next car, I too am currently looking for 1 particular car (need bigger), and so far nearly 2 months in and looked at 8 or 10 i am still looking.

Im not being to fussy, i just know what i want for my hard earned cash! :D

Thank you all....   I have passed on it.     The dealer was  bordering on rude and you're right XK140, I did get the impression that they were trading on the "female lacking in car knowledge" ticket. It seems to have disappeared from their sales list, so I suspect they have sent it to auction.

Well done, Briskie Forums are an useful place to get advice from. Out of interest, how much did they want for it?