How many UK Spacebacks

Just been looking at the how many left website and it suggests as of the end of June there were around 1300 Spaceback's in the UK, the most common being the SE TSI then the TDI.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=Skoda+Rapid+Spaceback#

Also highlights the GreenTech option is not that sort after, despite it lowering the VED particularly for the TSI 105.

Explains why I seem to be alone round here in a Spaceback :D

TP

• Like 1

In the past 12.5 months since I got the Rapid ,we -my wife and I -have seen 11 Rapids and 6 Spacebacks.  And we are hawk eyed now because it is hard to believe how few there are.

My wife seems to be serious when she says she really likes being in a very exclusive vehicle.Strewth!!

Edited by HopeImRight

We have a space back in corrida red 1.6TDi SE one of 359 reg this year if the data is correct and the wife drives 42 miles a day mostly on the M60 so she could well be spotted !

See the odd Rapid lift-back now and then; one's been parking at the other end of the village recently but Spaceback's, then I appear to be it.

Shame really, as coming from an Octy III I'm of the view the Spaceback is a nicer car to drive and more user friendly.

TP

I've only seen one hatchback and one spaceback since I ordered mine

There's a white spaceback near where I live and I spotted an SE connect taxi in Edinburgh.

Since I ordered mine I'm amazed at how many Skoda Fabias & Octavias there are on the road but very few Superbs. I saw an estate Superb the other day, first one I've seen in the flesh. It's a big car.

Didn't see many Rapids on the road when I got mine but I'm seeing more and more of them now, tend to see at least two during my morning commute now (I'm not paying enough attention to notice if it's the same two I see every morning ;) )

I think it depends where in the world and where in the country you are.

Here in the South West there appears to be a disproportionate amount of Yeti around.

I expect Spaceback sales to pick up with the recent spec changes to SE Tech and SE Sport. They're better value, and they're going to look better in the dealers too with the bigger wheels and improved interior spec once they start to filter through.

Interest in this part of the forum seems to have increased since the introduction of the Spaceback and the Rapid Sport.

• Like 1

I think there were 200 "special edition" special editions, one for each dealer. I think they may have had the black decals on like the one in the brochure and were all white. I should think it was a bit if marketing to highlight the sport. (My guess)

• Like 1

I thought 'sport' was originally limited edition white only but now it's standard and can be ordered in any colour.

In terms of this thread... I was going to post something similar recently as it's been bugging me. I live in north london and hardly ever see rapids - spaceback a or regular - I see loads of yetis, fabia sand octavias so it is a concern to me - as someone who is on the verge of buying one. I don't understand why as I think it's a great looking car and massive value for money - especially the original version with available discount - I just don't think there's a better value family car on the market for that price. I'm just hanging on to see what the fabia estate is like to compare before buying. I'd have thought that the rapid would have had more family appeal to be honest - especially at the price you can buy through online dealers - 12k for a sport

In terms of this thread... I was going to post something similar recently as it's been bugging me. I live in north london and hardly ever see rapids - spaceback a or regular - I see loads of yetis, fabia sand octavias so it is a concern to me - as someone who is on the verge of buying one. I don't understand why as I think it's a great looking car and massive value for money - especially the original version with available discount - I just don't think there's a better value family car on the market for that price. I'm just hanging on to see what the fabia estate is like to compare before buying. I'd have thought that the rapid would have had more family appeal to be honest - especially at the price you can buy through online dealers - 12k for a sport

Could it be to do with the fact that people look at list price, then at the car, and then give up without looking into it further? People who buy privately new budget family cars do tend to be on a budget.  And not many people expect 25%+ discounts off the list price, certainly not at Skoda, you would expect this at e.g. Ford.  I only started seriously looking into Rapid because I saw 30% lower pricing abroad and I already own a similar platform car (Roomster) which, except some production time issues already resolved under warranty, works great for a 2+2 family.  Especially fully specced up versions. If you can get a new car with enough legroom (I'm 6ft5in and I still feel it is enough legroom, Mk1 Octy was not enough), with 500l+ joy to use boot (or in case of Spaceback plenty of rear headroom instead and still a reasonable boot) , with climate control, parking sensors, fog lights, tyre pressure monitor, tinted rear windows, decent enough suspension (what used to be Mk1 Octavia "sport" suspension) and a choice of engines which may be on the bland side, but which are powerful enough for all UK roads, all for under £14k, what more do you need as a family transport? Sound insulation is adequate as well. The only thing badly missing from UK options list is Rough Road Package.

Edited by dieselV6

I think I've read on this forum before one possible explanation is people go to see the rapid and then find out the octavia is not that much more in terms of list price and go for that instead - it's happened to a colleague of mine whose parents went to test a rapid and walked away with an octavia. Don't get me wrong I'd love an octavia but it feels a bit too big for narrow London streets (I like how the rapid is narrow) and I like bargains - the rapid sport looks like a good bargain to me (with online broker discount or current 2k off list price being offered by some dealers). I'm also attracted by the alloy wheels etc on rapid sport and to get a similar looking octavia is much more expensive (black edition)

• Like 1

I came from an Octavia III to the Rapid, after finding the Octy to be seriously uncomfortable (for me anyway). Now wishing I'd not bothered with the Octy in the first place (apart from it had 4x4), as overall the Rapid is a nicer car to drive and the seating and its position to the steering wheel and pedals are a big improvement.

TP

• Like 1

Agreed. Went into skoda to buy an superb estate, came out with a skoda rapid sport.

The price and the looks are what I was sold on. I saved almost £15k and I still got the big boot!

The Octy III has a far bigger boot, which is why the Memsahib has just bought one rather than a Rapid or Spaceback.

Both fair points, but regular Rapid's Mk1 Octy sized boot is definitely enough for family with 2 kids of similar age (takes a double buggy easily), even for extensive travel abroad for weeks at a time. Tested on 30+ trips in my Mk1 Octy .  Also, what makes difference to me and a few other people is that while Octy 3 might have more powerful engines, its fuel tank is smaller than Rapid's and not ventable, Rapid diesel will take 64l after venting, while Octavia 3 diesel will take only 50l, resulting in Rapid's 30% greater range before refuelling. Plus Rapid, when purchased at fair price (as opposed to list price), is by any measure far better value for money than the Mk3 Octavia, and value for money is what Skoda car ownership at least used to be about.

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 2

In the past couple of months I have seen several Spacebacks and normal Rapids so they are slowly getting more popular in the South East at least....And they seem good value certainly at nearly new at some dealers on Autotrader.

Does scarcity mean that depreciation will be bad? Despite owners saying they are good cars, it appears that the motoring press are less impressed with them which may affect sales? I took my car in for it`s MOT and my local dealer had had several unregistered Spacebacks straight off the transporter so he has shifted a few.

I am waiting for the new Fabia but would consider a nearly new Spaceback if it had the right spec, mainly glass roof and Amundsen, Camelots and TDi, and right colour......

Edited by threadbear

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that until I bought mine, I had not consciously ever seen a Rapid or Rapid Spaceback on the roads. In the last week (the week between putting the deposit down on my Spaceback and taking possession yesterday) I've seen two Spacebacks. That's all.