New Polo GTi

bobnaldo

S1 is same unit as The forthcoming polo R awd. i have to say every time i go to germany and see the current Polo R's i wonder why anyone would go Golf Gti when the Polo has the 2.0 in it, shame it never came to uk.

Cos the golfs a bigger car? Fit more in?

Thats all i can think of..

• 2 weeks later...

Polo GTI to have 192 hp version of 1.8 TSI EA888 engine.

Manual with 320 Nm of torque but 7 speeed DSG version to be mapped down to 250 Nm limit so it can use the dry clutched gearbox.

Both will do 0-100 kph in 6.7 seconds and top out at 148 mph.

I am a big fan of this engine gearbox combination as I had it in a L&K Octy Mk 2.   

Probably good economy too ie 50 mpg or so.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114100382263/2015-volkswagen-polo-gti-debuts-in-paris-with-a-new-engine

Edited by lol-lol

Very disappointing that the auto version has to be de-tuned!

Haiving had the 1.8 TSI, with 160 hp and the 7 speed DSG, which VAG quoted as 7.8s to 100 kph I recall, the spread of torque is such, and it revs so high, 7K I recall, the 250 Nm is hardly a worry as the 192 hp pushing the car if what counts, only diesel fans delud themselves that torque is what matters more.

The 1.8 TSI with DSG in my L&K Octy 2 had 160 hp between 4500 and 6200 I recall, the 192 hp will have a this power avialable between 5K and about 6.5K revs, where you will be using it during maximum acceleration, so no really issue with the 250NM torque limit lower down the rev range.  Just use the sports mode, paddles, tiptonic and enjoy. 

If you want to really enjoy power, and probably shorten the clutch life to less than its 400,000 km criteria, then you can chip and do so in spades.

The box will handle 380 Nms with a fair degree of longevity and you therefore can be looking at 250 hp plus to go along with the 380 Nm of torque.

Being the short stroke version of EA888 engine it can take lots of abuse.  I occasionally fould myself hitting the rev limiter in the 2 litre EA888 VRS as you get use the 7K red line compared to the 6.5K in the longer stroke 2 litre version.  Give me the 1.8 TSI EA888 everytime, more economical, flexible, rev happy etc. 

Edited by lol-lol

The 6 Speed DSG in the 210 ps 2.0 TSI Beetle does the job pretty well IMO,  i actually like that Combination (I like driving a Beetle)

and it is nearly as quick as the 1.4 TSI Twincharger in the Polo GTI, Fabia vRS & Seat Cupra, Audi A1 185 ps.. 

These are 132 - 136 Kw.

That is real world performance for the Twinchargers Vs the 2.0 l TSI with 210 ps minimum, not VW Published Figures.

It will be interesting to see how the 2015 Polo GTI 1.8 TSI with DSG actually performs.

Personally i would be buying a 'Young Used' Golf GTI or Seat Leon Cupra 280 with DSG,

they will be available for what it costs to buy the New Polo GTI with DSG.

Edited by goneoffSKi

The 6 Speed DSG in the 210 ps 2.0 TSI Beetle does the job pretty well IMO,  i actually like that Combination (I like driving a Beetle)

and it is nearly as quick as the 1.4 TSI Twincharger in the Polo GTI, Fabia vRS & Seat Cupra, Audi A1 185 ps.. 

These are 132 - 136 Kw.

That is real world performance for the Twinchargers Vs the 2.0 l TSI with 210 ps minimum, not VW Published Figures.

It will be interesting to see how the 2015 Polo GTI 1.8 TSI with DSG actually performs.

Personally i would be buying a 'Young Used' Golf GTI or Seat Leon Cupra 280 with DSG,

they will be available for what it costs to buy the New Polo GTI with DSG.

I am not such a fan of the 6 speed wet multi-plate clutch box as it reduces the MPG by a mile or two and there are servicing costs every 40K miles unlike the 7 speed dry clutch.

I had a couple of these 6 speed boxes the one matched to the 140 hp 2 litre diesel was dull, the one linked to the 1.9D - 105 hp engine actually seemed an improvement over the 5 speed manual box and of course the mpg was fantastic like all the 1.9Ds.

1.8 TSI and 7 speed DSG, match made in heaven even with the torque plateau'd at 250 NM or so.

0-62 in 6.7 seconds sound good to me for the Polo GTI but it will probably be quite pricey.

Skoda, please drop this combo in the Rapid or in any Octy 3 (180hp-DSG in L&K only hence pricey), some hope (not) from the various press releases from Skoda.

Edited by lol-lol

Do we know what 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG are going to need.

The DQ200 was Sealed for life with Synthetic Oil & has had a World Wide Recall & extended Warranty,

except in the EU were it just gets 

a Service Campaign and the Oil changed for Mineral & a ECU Update and the Owner told very little,

no mention of Extended Warranties.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Volkswagen will just continue as they do, admitting nothing and no failures unless forced, and using paying customers 

to road test their new technologies,  and if the fail, they change tack and move on.

Now the 1.4 TSI Twinchargers CTHE engines built from late 2012 to Update the Failing at around 20% CAVE 1.4 TSI from 2009

are starting to fail.

Lets hope only in small numbers.

But then Volkswagen are moving on, winding down the Twinchargers and using the 1.8 TSI.

Good luck to those buying them if they have problems.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK

Say nothing, tell nobody, it never happened!

• Like 1

Haiving had the 1.8 TSI, with 160 hp and the 7 speed DSG, which VAG quoted as 7.8s to 100 kph I recall, the spread of torque is such, and it revs so high, 7K I recall, the 250 Nm is hardly a worry as the 192 hp pushing the car if what counts, only diesel fans delud themselves that torque is what matters more.

The 1.8 TSI with DSG in my L&K Octy 2 had 160 hp between 4500 and 6200 I recall, the 192 hp will have a this power avialable between 5K and about 6.5K revs, where you will be using it during maximum acceleration, so no really issue with the 250NM torque limit lower down the rev range.  Just use the sports mode, paddles, tiptonic and enjoy. 

If you want to really enjoy power, and probably shorten the clutch life to less than its 400,000 km criteria, then you can chip and do so in spades.

The box will handle 380 Nms with a fair degree of longevity and you therefore can be looking at 250 hp plus to go along with the 380 Nm of torque.

Being the short stroke version of EA888 engine it can take lots of abuse.  I occasionally fould myself hitting the rev limiter in the 2 litre EA888 VRS as you get use the 7K red line compared to the 6.5K in the longer stroke 2 litre version.  Give me the 1.8 TSI EA888 everytime, more economical, flexible, rev happy etc.

That's all well and good but it would still annoy me if I owned one, knowing VAG had neutered it in the torque department compared to the manual version ;-)

• Like 1

That's all well and good but it would still annoy me if I owned one, knowing VAG had neutered it in the torque department compared to the manual version ;-)

If it still does 0-100 km/hr in 6.7 seconds so no so bothered as much as I would prefer to have the auto-box rather than the manual.  As VAG says.......

"Despite the difference, Volkswagen says both variants will accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 6.7 seconds and top out at 236 km/h (148 mph). However, the company said the "manual version does pull away slightly more briskly."

What is really missing is a Volkswagen Group Small Estate with between 180 - 200 BHP.

Once the MK2 Fabia vRS Estate is no more.

Something Polo, Ibiza, Fabia Sized, smaller than a Golf Estate. *Lighter*,  Cheaper,  *Faster*

& Under £20,000 RRP

Lucky that Skoda have a 3rd Generation Fabia Estate (Combi) coming out,

and it has the Same Platform as the 2015 Polo GTI has.

So a New Skoda Estate 1.8 TSI Manual or DSG Option would not be a difficult product for Skoda to Build.

VW will probably not allow such an Estate from Skoda though, it would take sales from them.

& also Sales of the Bigger Estates from Skoda & Seat.

eg

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/paris-motor-show/new-estate-bodied-skoda-fabia-combi-features-530-litre-boot

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The S1 is not a comparitive car to the Polo GTI and Fabia VRS.  So that scaling down doesn't really work.

It's a higher model with the normal A1 having the same engine/DSG as the GTI/VRS.

The Polo GTI and Fabia VRS are more likely to have similar power outputs.

If it ever arrives.

So the recently announced face lifted A1 for 2015 will also share the 1.8 Polo GTI 189bhp engine then. 

In VAG eyes Skoda Fabia /Seat can go and whistle!! How unfair is that!

So the recently announced face lifted A1 for 2015 will also share the 1.8 Polo GTI 189bhp engine then.

In VAG eyes Skoda Fabia /Seat can go and whistle!! How unfair is that!

You were comparing the S1 to the GTI/Fabia.

It's not a comparative model. The A1 with the same engine as them is.

The S1 doesn't have an equal in the Skoda/SEAT/VW line ups.

After the Polo GTI 1.8 TSI 2015,  will come the All new VW Polo R.  

(Not the silly Polo R Line,

or the previously sold left hand drive Limited Edition Polo R-WRC, Front wheel drive.)

http://autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/polo/first-drives/volkswagen-polo-r-wrc-first-drive-review

Once the All New 3rd Generation Fabia Body shape is Rallying as the R5 1.6T. we will see if Skoda get leave from the VWG to produce an interesting car to sell to the public,

otherwise what is the Point of Spending on 'Motorsport' to raise the Skoda Profile and turning out small & medium cars with no more than 122ps?

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

You were comparing the S1 to the GTI/Fabia.

It's not a comparative model. The A1 with the same engine as them is.

The S1 doesn't have an equal in the Skoda/SEAT/VW line ups.

Selling price wise  the S1 on spec is in competition  with  the Golf R  /Audi S3 demo / low mileage used with a lower output engine! Possibly  the Seat Leon 280. Possibly a more powerful Fabia mk3 ----.similar to below.

(Note! the comparison video by Autocar and Autoexpress- Golf R v Seat Leon 280)

May be equip  the Fabia MK3 - R-, with the Golf  GTI Performance Pack Dif, out of the VAG parts bin as well.

Edited by vrskeith

• 5 weeks later...

I wonder what Lease Deals will need doing to get them selling in the UK, 

or how VW will get enough being First Registered each month to have them appear as not another sales disaster in the UK.

Looking forward to them being available regularly as demonstrators at VW Dealerships and them maybe 

Much Cheapness from then on as used cars.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

• Like 2

Really liking this new Polo gotta say. The Manual box seals the deal in my eyes!

Get specing , and holding deposit!

Or you could have one of these.-NO!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/juke/89842/215bhp-nissan-juke-nismo-rs-to-cost-less-than-a-golf-gti

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Much as the Polo GTI 1.8 TSI Facelift & re-engine mechanics i would think,

(the same or similar low down, other than body and interior & price.)

The Audi A1 Facelift 2015 1.8TFSI 192 bhp S-tronic.

Maybe someone can say please what the Dude is saying while down low in front of a A1 1.4 TFSI.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2