Dan's 20v 1.8T Fabia Estate

DanHarper

Not big enough sadly, finding it a little cramped doing this job with all the bits I need to store... won't have enough free space in front to do the Estate in there.

Garage was last years project, wish I'd gone another meter or so in to the garden.

at least its somewhere nice and dry with lighting for the winter months 

Are we all picking on Toxicvrs ? He cannot take much more without developing a complex.

Just divide the amount he gets picked on by his number of daily spam messages posts. The banter ratio is within acceptable levels.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well it seems this project is going as quickly as one of Jacks. Bad back currently prevents play... (done a few months ago, not doing this...), going to get it seen to then crack on :)

Nothing has happened to the Ibiza since I moved it out of the garage last weekend.

I did take the wheels off the Fabia today as they are on eBay ending tonight, so its now probably the only 1.4MPI Fabia sporting 205 RS-Rs... it looks weird at stock height.

If I want it to pass an MOT I think the following bits need to be addressed:

Drop links (boots split) - Easy swap from the Ibiza.

Clouded headlights - Either I'll replace them with some Depo projectors or sand/polish them.

Rear springs - The left rear of the car definitely sits lower than the right. Swap from the Ibiza should sort it.

Not sure if this would prevent a pass, but:

Electric window switch on the drivers side is goosed.

With the key in the ignition, closing the passenger door causes the central locking to activate - This caused me a bit of an 'oh ****' moment as the spare fob remote doesn't work and the drivers door was parked so close to the wall I had to persuade a drain pipe over to get the key in.

• Like 2

Well it seems this project is going as quickly as one of Jacks. Bad back currently prevents play... (done a few months ago, not doing this...), going to get it seen to then crack on :)

Nothing has happened to the Ibiza since I moved it out of the garage last weekend.

I did take the wheels off the Fabia today as they are on eBay ending tonight, so its now probably the only 1.4MPI Fabia sporting 205 RS-Rs... it looks weird at stock height.

If I want it to pass an MOT I think the following bits need to be addressed:

Drop links (boots split) - Easy swap from the Ibiza.

Clouded headlights - Either I'll replace them with some Depo projectors or sand/polish them.

Rear springs - The left rear of the car definitely sits lower than the right. Swap from the Ibiza should sort it.

Not sure if this would prevent a pass, but:

Electric window switch on the drivers side is goosed.

With the key in the ignition, closing the passenger door causes the central locking to activate - This caused me a bit of an 'oh ****' moment as the spare fob remote doesn't work and the drivers door was parked so close to the wall I had to persuade a drain pipe over to get the key in.

Halfords rubbing compound on headlights! Simples

Window won't be a failure iirc and as long as they can see the doors open its fine

Halfords rubbing compound on headlights! Simples

Window won't be a failure iirc and as long as they can see the doors open its fine

Had better take the spare key in case it locks its self during the test though! Or maybe just unlock it and unplug the loom for the lock.

Stripped the door looms, motors and locks out of the Ibiza doors so I can always swap the lot over to the Fabia, should sort the issue :) Oh, a note on that, if you remove your doors with the windows up like a knob, and then realize you can't get to the dam bolts to release the glass, removing the electric window motor allows you to push the window down... Thanks to Taylor for helping me find that out.

• Like 1

Had better take the spare key in case it locks its self during the test though! Or maybe just unlock it and unplug the loom for the lock.

Stripped the door looms, motors and locks out of the Ibiza doors so I can always swap the lot over to the Fabia, should sort the issue :) Oh, a note on that, if you remove your doors with the windows up like a knob, and then realize you can't get to the dam bolts to release the glass, removing the electric window motor allows you to push the window down... Thanks to Taylor for helping me find that out.

Got the test booked yet? :)

Nope.

Priority atm is:

1) Get back fixed... visit to the chiropractor on Thursday.

2) MOT the Celica on Friday.

2.1) Fix the Celica...

3) Finish stripping the Ibiza.

4) Dispose of the Ibiza.

5) Prepare the Fabia for the MOT.

As the Fabia needs suspension bits sorting (actually I missed off the list that the dust cover on one of the shocks is also broken), I need the space that is currently occupied by a immobile Ibiza to carry out the work.

No hurry, remember this was supposed to be a Summer 2015 project :P

• Like 1

Nope.

Priority atm is:

1) Get back fixed... visit to the chiropractor on Thursday.

2) MOT the Celica on Friday.

2.1) Fix the Celica...

3) Finish stripping the Ibiza.

4) Dispose of the Ibiza.

5) Prepare the Fabia for the MOT.

As the Fabia needs suspension bits sorting (actually I missed off the list that the dust cover on one of the shocks is also broken), I need the space that is currently occupied by a immobile Ibiza to carry out the work.

No hurry, remember this was supposed to be a Summer 2015 project :P

Stop making me look slow

Stop making me look slow

If the Celica fails the MOT on emissions (the only thing that I think may be an issue) the Fabia may be pressed in to service as a daily while I decide what to do. In that case the project will slow down immensely...

• Like 1

Celica passed its MOT, just need to replace a rear bearing so that's ordered. One weight off my mind at-least. Chiropractor revealed me of a few notes I was going to use to buy some goodies this month, but never mind,

Slowly does it... front sub frame off. Should have planned it better as I dropped the lot and then struggled to get the struts out the hubs. Fortunately I found if I bolted the top mount to the front of the chassis leg I could then persuade the hub off the shock :)

• Like 2

Celica passed its MOT, just need to replace a rear bearing so that's ordered. One weight off my mind at-least. Chiropractor revealed me of a few notes I was going to use to buy some goodies this month, but never mind,

Slowly does it... front sub frame off. Should have planned it better as I dropped the lot and then struggled to get the struts out the hubs. Fortunately I found if I bolted the top mount to the front of the chassis leg I could then persuade the hub off the shock :)

If you are talking about the Ibiza's Strut, VAG have a tool which is elliptical in shape, you unbolt the strut clinch nut at the hub, then put this bit in the little gap, turn it 90 degrees and it releases the tension. the a gentle tap with a copper mallet and it comes off :)

If you are talking about the Ibiza's Strut, VAG have a tool which is elliptical in shape, you unbolt the strut clinch nut at the hub, then put this bit in, turn it 90 degrees and it releases the tension. the a gentle tap with a copper mallet and it comes off :)

Got a picture so I can get bored and attempt to make one

VAG tool 3424, comprised of 3 parts:

3mm Grub Screw

1/2" drive to 1/4" Hex bit (the silver bit)

1/4" Hex to Ellipse bit. Ellipse 5.5mm x 8.2mm, the 8.2mm is from "flat to flat" as its an ellipse with the two points filed flat. the Ellipse is 10mm long.

20141011_101142_zpsvhtp2bvb.jpg

20141011_101147_zpslxtb9omy.jpg