1.4TSi any good?

Hmmm. £60 per hp Errrrr. I think I'll pass on that one.

From July 2014 Skoda pricelist the only two different petrol engine size with exact spec are:-

MK3 Octavia SE, 1.2TSI 105PS, 175Nm, 114g/km CO2 (band C) = £17,660

MK3 Octavia SE, 1.4TSI 140PS, 250Nm  121g/km CO2 (band D) = £18,860

Increase of 35PS, 75Nm, 7g/km CO2 (one tax band) = costing £1,200, plus increase of road tax after year one from band C (£30) to band D (£110)

ABT upgrade which they do for the 1.2TSI costs £1,200, & increases to 140PS/ 220Nm (up 35PS & 45Nm), & is TUV approved & does not increase the emissions & therefore tax band is still the original band C.

In my case I am tuning the 1.4TSI 140PS, 250Nm, with the ABT ECU costing £1,200 & increases to 170PS & 300Nm, with the same tax benefits as above. :sun:

For reference the 1.8TSI is 180PS, 250Nm, 141g/km CO2 (band F = £145).................so I will have 50Nm more torque & less tax & only 10PS less than the 1.8TSI.......also less nose weight..............

WIN...................... :p

Edit:- All cars & specs are manual gearboxes for like for like comparison, as the DSG gearbox in these engine specs is the weaker 7speed limited to 250Nm by VAG

Edited by fabdavrav

The car is free of road tax for one year then £110 per year as against £180 for my current 1.8 TSi manual

By the way, not very impressed with dealer trade in price offered (£3800), selling price seems more like £7K - but if I want the 0% interest deal going at present on the new one I have to close the deal by Tuesday.

Edited by ednmra
  • Like 1

The car is free of road tax for one year then £110 per year as against £180 for my current 1.8 TSi manual

By the way, not very impressed with dealer trade in price offered (£3800), selling price seems more like £7K - but if I want the 0% interest deal going at present on the new one I have to close the deal by Tuesday.

Fit the ABT ECU & gain the same power as before............. :D ....just costs on the insurance........... :x

Dealer is defo trying to boost his monthly figures as 1st October is Wednesday.............

• Like 1

Fit the ABT ECU & gain the same power as before............. :D ....just costs on the insurance........... :x

Dealer is defo trying to boost his monthly figures as 1st October is Wednesday.............

Just don't think it needs more power ( = more costs!) not for me anyway.

One puzzle. This thing called Driving Model Selection. Is that only to do with automatics? The brochure says it is fitted to the SE but not whether it is for both manual and DSG.

Just don't think it needs more power ( = more costs!) not for me anyway.

One puzzle. This thing called Driving Model Selection. Is that only to do with automatics? The brochure says it is fitted to the SE but not whether it is for both manual and DSG.

It's in both. It's the ability to choose between eco, normal and sport mode from the centre console. Each mode makes steering progressively stiffer and throttle response sharper. You can also use custom mode and choose your own settings (e.g. light steering, sharp throttle).

If Driving Mode Selection, then it adjusts several factors. Throttle Response, Torque Curve, Transmission Shift Map (DSG), Steering Weight, A/C Operation.

I skipped it because with a manual gearbox and a fixed suspension, it really doesn't do anything I can't do with my foot or the A/C button, and the steering just affects weight, not ratio or feel.

It's in both. It's the ability to choose between eco, normal and sport mode from the centre console. Each mode makes steering progressively stiffer and throttle response sharper. You can also use custom mode and choose your own settings (e.g. light steering, sharp throttle).

Not quite... the steering is Normal (in Eco/Normal modes) or Sport. The Engine (i.e. throttle response etc.) has Eco/Normal/Sport modes. It also changes the AFS sensitivity if you have Xenons. And the AirCon intensity (blower speed, really) as well.

Some reports say, for manual at least,  it is not worth changing from "Normal", and as the SE has climate control I can't say I'm bothered about a/c settings.

I'll play with it when I get it!

The Leon 1.4 140 has just been upgraded to the 150 ACT engine in order to comply with Euro6 regs.

I'd try and find out when Skoda are upgrading their engines cos I'd be a tad p!ssed if I ordered the 140 and they replaced it the following week

Been driving the Golf GT 140 ACT for over a year and prefer it to the VRS, mainly cos it's sweeter handling due to less weight and still has plenty of poke when you need it. As I get older prefer 17" to 18" wheels too, especially with our sh!te roads 

The 1.4TSi with the DSG box is a tax band lower than the manual. £30 a year.

I know but I really don't want the DSG.

And it would take about 15 years ownership to offset the extra DSG purchase price with the road tax savings!

The Leon 1.4 140 has just been upgraded to the 150 ACT engine in order to comply with Euro6 regs.

I'd try and find out when Skoda are upgrading their engines cos I'd be a tad p!ssed if I ordered the 140 and they replaced it the following week

Been driving the Golf GT 140 ACT for over a year and prefer it to the VRS, mainly cos it's sweeter handling due to less weight and still has plenty of poke when you need it. As I get older prefer 17" to 18" wheels too, especially with our sh!te roads 

VAG currently offer 1.4TSI in 140PS, 150PS, 150PS ACT................in Germany the MK7 Golf estate is 150PS, in UK it's 140PS, The Golf hatch in UK is 150PS ACT, the Golf SV in UK is 150PS...........................go figure............... :x

140 & 150PS nothing in it really to get worried about in terms of mpg, emissions, etc................I think the torques the same as they are all limited to 250Nm

You'd be off your t!ts to get the 1.4 TSI without ACT :D  which means you now get 150bhp  :p

I've seen 55mpg on a run in the 'old' 140 ACT and that's with 4 people on board and not slip streaming lorries  :D

This is taken from a new 150 ACT Leon, I reckon that f00ker is good for 60 mpg on a run, don't forget that's a sub 8 second 0-60 and 134mph too. bl00dy unbelievable

PS I'd like to see some evidence that u get an extra 10bhp with 99 ron fuel, I'd be even more gob smacked! lol

post-16575-0-13278200-1411939004_thumb.jpg

My 1.4 is the first petrol car I have had in many years and in the real world I know it is quick and does not surprise me you liked the drive.  I knew I was not getting a diesel but ended up test driving the 1.6 TDI with DSG side by side with the 1.4 manual box and the TDI felt like a snail, noisy and unresponsive.

If you are going for a standard SE with no extras it might be worth ringing around to see what deals you can get.

You'd be off your t!ts to get the 1.4 TSI without ACT :D  which means you now get 150bhp  :p

I've seen 55mpg on a run in the 'old' 140 ACT and that's with 4 people on board and not slip streaming lorries  :D

This is taken from a new 150 ACT Leon, I reckon that f00ker is good for 60 mpg on a run, don't forget that's a sub 8 second 0-60 and 134mph too. bl00dy unbelievable

PS I'd like to see some evidence that u get an extra 10bhp with 99 ron fuel, I'd be even more gob smacked! lol

No choice on the engine in the Golf estate, 140PS in UK only...................anyway I'm getting it mapped to 170PS & 300Nm.............. :p

WTF you on about extra 10bhp from 99Ron fuel???...........

Straight from the dealers mine got 99ron fuel and thats all its had since, Surrey Rolling Road had it at 150bhp when its was only 2 weeks old, if you wanna spend £1,200 on a remap be my guest, its your money, there's just cheaper ways of getting to the same output but, each to thier own I guess.

The Leon 1.4 140 had a 0-60 of 8.1s, the new 150 has a 0-60 of 7.9s

It's a non-issue!

Plus all the reviews have said that ACT fuel economy figures are more of a myth than a reality and in practice the savings aren't great. Fine if you get it, but not a big loss if you don't :)

Straight from the dealers mine got 99ron fuel and thats all its had since, Surrey Rolling Road had it at 150bhp when its was only 2 weeks old, if you wanna spend £1,200 on a remap be my guest, its your money, there's just cheaper ways of getting to the same output but, each to thier own I guess.

But you have no way of knowing that is down to the fuel. There are numerous posts on here suggesting that VAG are conservative when they quote engine power. Maybe your 1.4 had 150bhp from the factory and the 99ron fuel has contributed nothing??

Maybe it did maybe it didn't, it'd be to difficult to go back to that 2 week old setup and then run on shopping fuel for a couple of tanks to clean the 99ron out, a bit too depressing to my point is though, much can be done with the 1.4 TSI engine and the DSG gearbox to get you more shove down the road and at less cost.

If I wanted out right speed I'd give a TSI vRS to The Phirm for a couple of months and get a 380bhp Octy back, loads of fun but not as much bang for you buck as it were compared to the £22k-ish I've spent on a nice family that Dad can have some fun in when he's on his own.  Each to his or her own though.

But you have no way of knowing that is down to the fuel. There are numerous posts on here suggesting that VAG are conservative when they quote engine power. Maybe your 1.4 had 150bhp from the factory and the 99ron fuel has contributed nothing??

A valid point, especially regarding VAG's conservativism on outputs when it comes to the lower brands in the stable. However, Skoda themselves have repeatedly stated that the engine is designed to adapt to variable fuel qualities. With the adaptable ECU, knock sensors etc the 1.4 TSI will run on 95 no problems but (as posted earlier by someone) Skoda have confirmed that higher octane fuel will increase power output, and increase fuel economy.

With that in mind it's not unreasonable to assume that 99 RON will give more power than 95 RON, though whether it's 10hp is another issue. It would, I imagine, depend on whether the factory specs (140hp, 250Nm torque) are on a stated 98 RON or 95 RON. Since the manual and SUK both recommend 98 RON for proper running, I'd imagine that the stated figures are for that fuel and 95 RON will give reduced output (as opposed to getting book figures on 95 RON and +10hp on >98RON).

• Like 1