Vibration on motorway

andyP11

Hi I have a superb estate which seems to feel vibration around 70-80 MPH. I have had the wheels balanced and this has not cured it. It is not a major vibration but just enough to be noticed. Is this normal, I thought it may be the tyres (225 40 R18) does anyone else feel every vibration of the road on these size tyres. I have not long had the car and it is fitted with just generic tyres so I was considering changing them to something a bit better.

• Like 1

My experience of driving two Combi's is that they are very smooth at those sort of speeds. Do you feel it through the wheel or through the seat? Does it change on different road surfaces?

Edit:

Have you checked the tyre pressures? 

Edited by Bristolf2b

Hi I have a superb estate which seems to feel vibration around 70-80 MPH. I have had the wheels balanced and this has not cured it. It is not a major vibration but just enough to be noticed. Is this normal, I thought it may be the tyres (225 40 R18) does anyone else feel every vibration of the road on these size tyres. I have not long had the car and it is fitted with just generic tyres so I was considering changing them to something a bit better.

I have this to a certain extent but it's more of an oscillating or a humming noise with a little vibration but it's at 60 - 70 mph. I've had everything checked with no real result. I think it's the low profile tyres and the dealer can only offer this as an explanation too. What tyres do you have, I've continentals and I'm binning them soon as they are very noisy .

Have you uneven wear etc, sounds like could be sawtooth issues maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyres are just a generic brand that were on the car when I bought it. Plenty of tread on them. I notice the vibration through the steering wheel. Just a slight vibration. Tyre pressures are spot on. I guess it could be the low profiles?

Certainly could be cheap tyres, likewise check the inside rear tyres are completely smooth (as in round... run the palm of your hand round the inside edge to the tread) if they are sawtoothing (going like a 50 pence piece) then its new tyres time.

My OE Continentals were perfect right up to when I changed them.

it will not be the low profile, if the tyres are budget ones then its quiet possible one of them or both have slightly deformed and gone out of round, or not running fully straight.

I drove my old Superb MK2 across France at 130KMH four times and there was never any vibration.

• 2 years later...

I have a similar problem with 2009 superb estate. From 100 to 120km/h steering wheel is vibrating, on lower and higher speeds everything is normal. Tyres are 100% ok and wheels balanced. Brakes are new, front shock absorbers are new and vibration is still here. They checked all the components around the wheels in the garage and everything seems ok and seems like nobody knows how to solve this.

Rub the tyre tread clockwise and anticlockwise around the tyre. If one direction feels smooth and the other has sharp leading edges then you have sawtoothing. It's worth rotating the tyres to see if that makes a difference before replacing them. If the tyre tread is fine you might be looking at the very first signs of a failed wheel bearing.

My front wheel bearings caused something like what you describe. There was no noticeable play in the bearing when it was jacked up. It annoyed me enough (and eventually my wife spotted it too) that I replaced the wheel bearings to try and fix it. It worked for me. The noise did tend to get louder when cornering, and is could make an oscillating noise. Generally sounded a lot like a wheel out of balance.

• 6 years later...

Old thread but ... I have the same issue on a 2011 estate 125tdi DSG. This has been the case with new tyres, new allow wheels, all balanced twice!  (original one were warped) new wheel bearings, new outer CV joints.

It does not sound like the dual mass flywheel is faulty (as I believe this failing can cause vibration.) 

Vibration around 100kph can feel this in the steering wheel and the car body.

I have run out of idea other than changing the inner CV joints (not a fun job) 

Happy to receive any hints.

Thanks for that, not something I’d thought about, but makes sense. I’ve got it booked into a suspension place next week for them to look at . I know the struts and shocks need replacing. Everything in OZ for Skoda’s cost a bomb so I do a far bit of work myself. 

Cheers 

• 3 weeks later...

@Skoda789 Thanks for the tip. I removed the lower control arms on the weekend and one rear bush was badly cracked and the second one was beginning to fail. These are the round type bushes (post Aug 2010) and not the alloy housing ones from the older design (which look stronger) Anyway, new ones on order so I'll change these out when they arrive. Took the opportunity to replace the struts and will do the rear shocks as well, as the car has done 150,000 KM and is very floaty.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/09/2014 at 14:54, andyP11 said:

I have just started getting the same issue identical to what you’ve described did you find out what the problem was. Just had 12 months MOT done and spring coils replaced on back and ball joints on front .

light steering wheel wobble at the same speed as describes by you? I think it might be linked to the warning light saying check brakes, pads lining, which is a joke lol because my front pads are good maybe a wiring connection issues 😥

Hi, @Skodaman17 the rear lower control arm bushings were shot on mine, I have just replaced them (in the arms) and will be putting them back in the car this week. I have also replaed the struts as they were well passed their used by date. I'll update the thread when the car is back on the road and had a wheel aligment. Hope this fixes the problem as I have run out of things to change! There are pad wear sensors for the brakes so perhaps that is damaged? 

I would have thought the MOT would have noticed if the bushes are worn out? 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2014 at 14:54, andyP11 said:

Just now, Skodaman17 said:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly 😊Yeah that’s a funny thing. I think there was a slight wobble before the MOT but afterwards it definitely kicked off with a more notable wobble and again after having the front wheels replaced.
I am wondering if it’s the DSG gearbox  (fly wheel etc..)as I’ve now covered 219,000 miles.lol