Xenon blown after 6 months and 1 day

Smokeyjoe

Driving to my daughters house was fine, but leaving to come home tonight the N/S Xenon was dead and the warning light came on the dash. I am a bit surprised it has blown after such a short time - I can't remember ever changing a headlight bulb in the last 40 odd years of driving. This is my first car with Xenons though.

The warranty booklet seems to indicate that 'consumable' items like bulbs are only covered for 6 months and I am 1 day over that. I will call Station Garage in the morning to see what they say.

What I was impressed with though is the light spread from just one Xenon - although the light intensity was down, the whole of the front on the road in front was lit up quite impressively. I also put on the fog lights to give a better visibility to other drivers.

It also appeared that the cornering function stopped working so I guess the lamps go into 'limp mode'.

I don't think it is a fuse as the fuse for the N/S lights seems to include the rear bulb which is working OK.

If I do have to pay for a bulb, should I get the dealer to supply and fit, or shall I get one and fit myself. My son works for a VAG dealership in parts!! Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Smokeyjoe

You don't say how many miles you have done as this is a bigger factor in bulb life than age.

Either way, a Xenon should last c.10 years or 100k miles. Many are quoted by the bulb manufacturers as expected to outlast the car. I wonder if the bulb has gone (which I would expect to be a warranty replacement at that age) or if there is another fault (which again would be warranty work).

Cheers

Rog

My old Audi was still on its original Xenon bulb at 13 years old and 192,000 miles. The bulb should last the life of the car, but will slowly loose light output over that time.

I suspect that the bulb is perfectly fine, and the igniter or the ballast has failed or blown a fuse.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

I have only done 3000 miles and the car has a free 3 year maintenance package which I think is just servicing. I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

Do you use the coming home/ leaving home function, if so this can rapidly decrease lamp life with the short on off cycling.

I do, but the car is only 6 months old and I haven't used it a lot after dark. During the summer the lights have hardly been used at all.

More often it is the ballast that packs up on these lamps, unless the lamp is damaged or cracked.

They are an arc lamp and so they don't have a frail fillament.

Did you try turning the engine (and lights) off and back on again?

Many of us had one Xenon failing to spark up when Yetis were pups but recycling the engine/lights brought the light back on.

I seem to remember it only did it if you left the lights selected to 'auto'.

Strangely, Octy 3s are having similar issues.

Did you try turning the engine (and lights) off and back on again?

Many of us had one Xenon failing to spark up when Yetis were pups but recycling the engine/lights brought the light back on.

I seem to remember it only did it if you left the lights selected to 'auto'.

Strangely, Octy 3s are having similar issues.

Yes I tried this a couple of times on Auto and Manual, but dead! I have it booked into the dealer at 2.00pm today for evaluation. Confirmed it will be covered by warranty.

Update......

The dealer ran their diagnostics and it turns out to be the control unit which is faulty. Had to be ordered, so will return next wednesday to have it fitted and coded.

Dave

Do you use the coming home/ leaving home function, if so this can rapidly decrease lamp life with the short on off cycling.

Another good reason for changing the coming/leaving home lights to the fog lights - easily done through VCDS.

On a similar note, Allams have kindly recoded my tail lights to be on with DRLs so headlights lights don't need to be left on 'auto' and flicking on and off when transiting through tree lined roads - plenty of 'be seen' lighting with FL LED DRLs.

Never had any issues with xenons and using them in auto and for come home/leave home in our Mk2 Octavia for almost 7 years.

They're more tolerant than halogens as there is no filament. The wear and tear is on the ballast.

If a Xenon has failed, dealers usually replace them under warranty as it's accepted they should last many years even with high use

On a similar note, Allams have kindly recoded my tail lights to be on with DRLs so headlights lights don't need to be left on 'auto' and flicking on and off when transiting through tree lined roads - plenty of 'be seen' lighting with FL LED DRLs.

It took Allams a while to find the coding to do ours (it was apparently the first time they had been asked) but well worth it 

Ah, thanks for the pathfinding, Gizmo!

Bit off topic, but another problem I have with the 'auto' lights is that the FL no longer has the 'lights on' warning light in the instrument cluster. You only know the lights are on by looking at the light switch and checking the 'auto' and sidelight position indicators are illuminated, which is a real pain (EU law...?!). At least with forward and aft DRLs, you know you can be seen and aren't relying on a computer that only measure ambient light (not visibility) conditions. 

Ah, thanks for the pathfinding, Gizmo!

Bit off topic, but another problem I have with the 'auto' lights is that the FL no longer has the 'lights on' warning light in the instrument cluster. You only know the lights are on by looking at the light switch and checking the 'auto' and sidelight position indicators are illuminated, which is a real pain (EU law...?!). At least with forward and aft DRLs, you know you can be seen and aren't relying on a computer that only measure ambient light (not visibility) conditions. 

Have you also noticed that if headlights are on and you turn ignition off the headlights go off? No doubt to save the battery, but I do not recall getting a reminding "dong" if attempting to leave the car like this like I have on previous vehicles.

Colin

Colin

Have you also noticed that if headlights are on and you turn ignition off the headlights go off? No doubt to save the battery, but I do not recall getting a reminding "dong" if attempting to leave the car like this like I have on previous vehicles.

Colin

You don't get a dong with the headlights on because the lights go off with the ignition so there is nothing to warn you about.  If you leave it on sidelights the lights should stay on and you should get a bong.

Cheers

Rog

• Like 1

Update......

All fixed - the control unit was replaced. No bumper removal needed, but technician had some scrapes on his knuckles apparently due to its difficult position.

Dave

• Like 1