Paul's Black mk1 Vrs

iiPaul

Great thread, Paul :thumbup:

I've taken mine off the road for some maintenance but nothing like this! Your Skillz :rock: I don't have :(

Thanks I'm just taking my time :)

Haha I've had a lot of help to get to the stage I'm at now but it will be a good accomplishment when done :D

So I finally got my head back from having new valves and a decoke, I was very pleased with the results but no progress could be made due to having to wait for new camshaft bolts which finally turned up today! So I got cracking and here's the results :)

E7818BF5-F8B0-4956-BE48-096AAF3C006D_zps

D6EC1496-126A-4976-A16F-D34050C85FDD_zps

I soon got round to fitting the tappets and the camshaft and injeftors finally made its way into place.

BB8E7885-4D5D-489E-A81E-A88ACECB3EFD_zps

46ECEDB9-0086-443B-ADBD-7F8D7C09E40B_zps

I then got the head and block cleaned up ready to be put together!

92766AB3-3866-4F92-B3B7-014A7BF60562_zps

After everything was prepped and clean I managed to get the headgasket down and bolted down the head and it finally start to look like I was getting somewhere :D

365F0BBB-3348-4E26-A078-5732265CD590_zps

When it was all torqued up I swiftly moved on to fitting my new cambelt, I kept the same tensioner and water pump as it was only changed 15k ago by skoda, but after a fiddle getting the belt on along with the timing ect it was finally on and tensioned up :) I also fitted new glow plugs as I don't know when they were last changed.

0FB0E89A-BEC4-4D1B-829A-D6A07C335D03_zps

That was all I managed today as the postman didn't turn up till around 2 with the bolts :( and there was some rain that stopped me for a while but I'm hoping tomorrow I should have it all back together, I hope anyway :D

• Like 3

So today I had a early start and picked up right where I left off last night. This started by putting the engine mount in place with new bolts and the right torque settings :)

9F535DC3-634B-4D20-9765-B8258161370D_zps

I swiftly moved onto getting the turbo on as it can be abit of a struggle sometimes getting it down the back.

12CBCAF3-1135-4E69-B646-2C7AEFAE772D_zps

Then finished the mount off and put the dog bone on too.

088E249B-2E07-4F55-B8A7-04BEC4779D0C_zps

Then started putting everything in place like a new fuel filter, and water bottle and connected the pipes, whilst I was doing this the oil was draining out ready for a new oil filtwr and oil :)

C1C5B92A-EA66-4F2D-BA8A-4D7244931B54_zps

4E267FD8-CD6A-4E0D-A8EF-2FD36C9AB458_zps

I bought a magnetic sump plug a few months back and I'm pretty glad I did tbh as it deffinitley was worth it after seeing it today

EF809EAC-CF1F-42FE-89BF-7C005A816C9B_zps

Once it was drained I put the plug in tipped oil all over the cam shaft ect and put my rocker cover on with a new gasket and a smear of grease on and topped the oil up. And fed my intake pipe in which I wrapped in heat wrap :)

2E255DBF-F0DA-41AB-B8FC-339EC02E69EA_zps

5A7E90D5-7AF9-484B-BADB-99DF937A070E_zps

I had taken some of the boost pipes off and given most of them including the cooler a good clean, so I put them back on aswell as the aux belt.

08C63362-9017-4735-97DF-AE0E08DE4456_zps

Now I focus on my air box, I previously run a s2k filter but I realised it was pretty stupid as the heat from the engine just gets sucked right back through the filter and is feed the turbo. So I got my standard air box and bought a cone in the box filter from a member and rigged up a air feed

F3F73BEF-F1FC-41C5-8EF0-D9BA921A2842_zps

1D2175A5-B18C-45AB-B736-1AE6A4239DB7_zps

It in place, quite please, a little chavvy but does the job.

594E0E80-3C4C-4F0A-B969-2FCC6E0B8B8B_zps

So now everything thing was in place the oil was right and the water was good it was nearly ready for start up!! Really hoped the timing was set I was kind of confident it was close lol but before starting I primed the engine and turbo by leaving the injector plug out and cranking it over, by leaving the oil return off I knew that when the oil was coming out everything was good and I'd be ready for start up.

The time come when the engine was primed and the cars first start was ready I was abit nervous but it had to be done.... It fired straight up and was good!! I plugged it into vcds and checked the timing it was out by nearly 3, so I quickly adjusted that zero :) left it running for half hour with the fans on full wack and took it for a spin (not booting it as its running in time :( ) but it felt good to be back in my car after being without it for 10 days!!

6D006ABF-0A22-48BC-85D3-6F0577DA1FBA_zps

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I haven't been updating lately but since the rebuild I've had some undergoing problems, with a rough start, a flat spot and a oil leak.. I'm pretty sure after a while of searching the oil leaks coming from the head gasket, so possibility the heads warped :(

So I'm currently back at this stage... Again!

61F2B6CA-2A8D-4143-8128-08345659D860_zps

Luckily the weathers stayed dry today and I've managed to get the head off and it all stripped down and found some evidence of what I suspect as oil starvation Althought everything was pre oiled and primed during the build and before start up!

5E612838-B936-4489-A3E2-C599DE4D4CD0_zps

72E942BC-4879-419A-8771-D64B4F2BA785_zps

Now the head is off it will be getting skimmed and this will hopefully stop the leak but I now have to find out why it's been starved of oil, the joys of motoring :D

On the upside I have picked up a new gearbox with a quaife lsd so that is ready to be fitted soon enough :)

CD4E25A4-4EDD-41A5-9A2B-BE76F1A91E30_zps

I haven't uploaded pics in here but I had a thread in the Fabia section where I posted pics ect, but it turned out that my head was bowed 0.0025 which was causing the oil leak :( so I had it skimmed 0.0030. Also my friend who done the skim found the valves wernt done properly and nearly all of them were leaking! Also one had a big chunk out of it! So he sorted it out for me luckily!

Before

8E8C3AD2-CF23-4B19-9A40-4530DB30D764_zps

After

DEE87901-D382-47C5-A897-8E23619AB8F6_zps

The chunk ( the triangle in the Middle)

6D9B1434-E77D-48DC-9527-D6D96F8125D5_zps

Looking nice and shiny after the skim

41240F7F-6114-4DB0-ADF4-7D1D12FA64D8_zps

New camshaft and bearings in

447B220A-F69F-438D-9DCE-2ED9DA69A40E_zps

Nice car man! I've just brought a silver vrs. your not far from me by the sounds of things. I'm in ashford :)

Thanks :) ah yeah ashford isn't far from me at all! Sometimes down there for work but in the work van but I'll look out for you :)

Bloody hell, where did you manage to 'pick up' a box with a Quaife fitted?!

I wish I had the spare cash for a diff - it's the biggest frustration with driving it.

Good luck with the rebuild also! Be worth it in the end :thumbup:

A local lad smashed his Fabia up so I snapped it up quick lol

Thanks :) it's bugging me now I just want it back to how it used to be, how's life with the 2260? Are you on uprated injectors?

Jammy sod! ;)  Almost as jammy as Kev on here, who bought his with a Peloquin already fitted!

It'll get there mate. Just don't lose the love. It's all too easy to throw in the towel in times like this...

The 2260 is awesome cheers mate! It's the best thing I've ever done to the car. It drives completely different to how my old PD150 hybrid used to. I'm still on standard injectors for now, but John has upped the boost to 2.45bar in the mid-range at the minute, and somehow it's still fuelling it! Not sure on figures at the minute, but it's substantially faster than when I was running 219bhp proven. Mapping is still ongoing. Smoke levels are tiny also!

In fact... I'm going to organise a RR day for early next year. So hopefully mapping will be nearer completion by then so I can see what it's pushing out just to satisfy my curiosity!

Jammy sod! ;) Almost as jammy as Kev on here, who bought his with a Peloquin already fitted!

It'll get there mate. Just don't lose the love. It's all too easy to throw in the towel in times like this...

The 2260 is awesome cheers mate! It's the best thing I've ever done to the car. It drives completely different to how my old PD150 hybrid used to. I'm still on standard injectors at the minute, but John has upped the boost to 2.45bar in the mid-range at the minute, and somehow it's still fuelling it! Not sure on figures at the minute, but it's substantially faster than when I was running 219bhp proven. Mapping is still ongoing. Smoke levels are tiny also!

In fact... I'm going to organise a RR day for early next year. So hopefully mapping will be nearer completion by then so I can see what it's pushing out just to satisfy my curiosity!

Aha very! I've heard kevs is a bit of a animal especially with that lsd lol

Ah I know what you mean the gtb turbos are much better than the pd turbos, I noticed going from my hybrid 150 to a 1756 courtesy of johns mapping the difference is night and day :)

Some very good injectors you have there! Also good to see the standard clutch holding out! You defo have a keeper of a car!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So after all the troubles I had with my car last year I finally managed to get her sorted in the end! It took me long enough but I'm so glad it's back to itself! I can finally enjoy driving it again!

I bought another set of bearings and put the new camshaft back in and it's fixed. Took it out and the difference was so much better, instantly smiling :D next on the list is to get that gearbox fitted and experince the lsd :)

Also although she was playing up and admitidly I was starting to loose love and patience with it, it still managed to pass a mot with no advisories :)

57123342-2C73-4DF3-BC00-0BBD6D8B13B0_zps

• Like 2

Great work Paul, I admire your perseverance!

Well done. Then all the fun begins again fitting the LSD.

To be honest, I wish I had bought one to fit to my 6 speed before I put it in mine!

• Like 1

Thanks :) it's been a long time but will be certainly worth it.

I got really really lucky lol

Shame the lsd is such a expensive mod.

It's not that expensive, no more than a decent bigger turbo conversion.

Most of the cost is in fitting, but if you're doing it yourself then you're all good :)

Sounds like you got s good deal on the box with it already on!

It's not that expensive, no more than a decent bigger turbo conversion.

Most of the cost is in fitting, but if you're doing it yourself then you're all good :)

Sounds like you got s good deal on the box with it already on!

Hmm suppose, but at £1500 including fitting, and you can pick up a gtb1756 for £600 from xman

I don't think I'd try the fitting of a lsd, it's abit beyond me :D