water pump and timing belt warranty issue

If we get a waterpump failure in and it hasnt contaminated the belt skoda will not allow us to change the belt but if it has contaminated the belt skoda will allow you to change it under warranty, but there are ways around it nudge nudge wink wink

got back from the dealers today.  They said the belt wasn't damaged, but they always replace them as the current life of a belt is 5 years.  I explained car is only 3 years old.  They took 15% off.  I kind of feel cheated still.  I phoned the skoda dealer in a neighbouring town, the cost of belt, tensioners, idler pulleys etc was near as dammit £220.  I paid 180ish.  

At least now belt won't need changing in a couple of year's time.  

"The average hourly labour rate at a Skoda main dealer is close to £100."

I dont know which Skoda dealer you have been using but we charge £69. ph

I said average.

You are in the North, hourly rates generally increase the further South you go.

My local dealer chargers £90 / hour - Pulman in Durham and we are further North than you.

I said average.

You are in the North, hourly rates generally increase the further South you go.

My local dealer chargers £90 / hour - Pulman in Durham and we are further North than you.

I understand what you are saying about hourly rates around the country, i speak to other skoda techs when on courses etc and you tend to find the hourly rate is about the same except for london areas but national pricing is national pricing, When the common rail cambelt replacement first came out dealers where taking a slight loss on the job because of the price of the kit and the time allocated to techs. We can normally do a cambelt and pump on a cr now within a hour and half.

• Like 1

Yes that's correct they are charging about £50 an hour. That's menu pricing! Average labour time is 2.5 hour's. Menu pricing is to make Skoda owners go to the local dealer and not the little garages. Xxxxxx

My local little garage beat the menu pricing but over £100 when I got my cambelt done So it's not working :)

Sherlock...but not a bleed and a health check and a Road test.

cambelt and waterpump and  coolent refill  using the refill kit around the hour and half, vehicle health check and road test is extra time, 

Hi Sherlock VRS,

I know what the service schedule says, but when would you change the cambelt on a CR170 DSG that does 16 kmiles a year, 3 to 4 thousand of which are with a 1,550kg caravan on the back with the consequent increased oil temps?

Thanks.

Hi Sherlock VRS,

I know what the service schedule says, but when would you change the cambelt on a CR170 DSG that does 16 kmiles a year, 3 to 4 thousand of which are with a 1,550kg caravan on the back with the consequent increased oil temps?

Thanks.

To be fair towing a caravan shouldnt have any bearing on a cambelt change interval, having said that though i would still stick with the 4 or 5 year (depends how old the car is) interval.

Never heard anything like it tbh,

Skoda Tech, please don't think I'm replying to you as you seem to have the right idea anyway as to how this should've been handled,

Now the explaination,

Skoda fitted a water pump that leaked

The pump is responsible for either contamination of the belt or simply the removal of the belt which can't be re-used

Any way you pump and hump it the water pump caused the issue so the water pump is liable, as it's a Skoda water pump Skoda are liable, I'd be onto trading standards over this one myself.

• Like 1