Why is it lighter than a Leon and a Golf?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for light cars but.....

Octavia Estate 1.4 TSI 1197kg

Leon ST 1.4 TSI 1277kg

Golf Estate 1.4 TSI  1354kg ( The unladen weight and payload both include the fuel tank 90% full, driver (68kg) and luggage (7kg) in line with EU directive 95/48.)

God knows why EU directive 95/48 doesn't apply to the Octavia and Leon brochures  :D

So either the new EU6 compliant engine is a lot heavier than the 'old' EU5 in the Octavia (sounds unlikely) or Skoda are using body panels and/or plastic that is much lighter and/or thinner???

PS another interesting comparison the 'new' Corsa 1.0T SRi with 3 cylinder weighs 1177kg(1) whereas the Octavia 1.4 hatch is only 3kg more at 1180kg

All these numbers are driving me mad..... :nerd:   

EDit:

(1) source for this 'fact' http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Vauxhall-Corsa-10T-SRi-VXLine-2015-CAR-review/

Edited by adder

My spec (same as se in UK) the Australian sheet says 1272kg for 1.4 tsi kerb weight with driver, tare mass of 1340kg.

Wonder what the difference is? 1300kg is still light for that sized car. The golf in Australia, shows as 70kg lighter than the Octavia

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for light cars but.....

Octavia Estate 1.4 TSI 1197kg

Leon ST 1.4 TSI 1277kg

Golf Estate 1.4 TSI  1354kg ( The unladen weight and payload both include the fuel tank 90% full, driver (68kg) and luggage (7kg) in line with EU directive 95/48.)

God knows why EU directive 95/48 doesn't apply to the Octavia and Leon brochures  :D

So either the new EU6 compliant engine is a lot heavier than the 'old' EU5 in the Octavia (sounds unlikely) or Skoda are using body panels and/or plastic that is much lighter and/or thinner???

PS another interesting comparison the 'new' Corsa 1.0T SRi with 3 cylinder weighs 1177kg(1) whereas the Octavia 1.4 hatch is only 3kg more at 1180kg

All these numbers are driving me mad..... :nerd:   

EDit:

(1) source for this 'fact' http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Vauxhall-Corsa-10T-SRi-VXLine-2015-CAR-review/

I'm heavier than 68kg.... I'm worried now, is it safe to drive???

• Like 2

Is it to do with how manufacturers test and weight in different countries? Ie over here I think the vw's are weighted with a full tank of fuel driver and passenger(s) whereas the Skodas aren't?

Comparing to a Golf (not been in the latest Leon).

*Ultra cheap and yucky boot flooring.

*Lower grade interior carpets.

*Unlined plastic door bins and storage areas. There is much more plastic in my VRS than within a Golf.

*Thinner seats and lower quality seat material

*Smaller fuel and washer tanks?

*Door and body panels feel more tinny, meaning they are probably thinner.

*Less sound-proofing.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 2

Is it to do with how manufacturers test and weight in different countries? Ie over here I think the vw's are weighted with a full tank of fuel driver and passenger(s) whereas the Skodas aren't?

This. Go weight a Skoda, you'll find its heavier than the kerb weight figures state.

It's to do with the multilink rear suspension. I think it's fitted to all A3's, most Golfs and Octavia's and Leon's over 150hp (180 for the Leon).

The weight makes quite a difference to acceleration figures which explains why the 150CR Octavia's are pretty close on acceleration to the 184 vRS (8.5 vs 8.1. vRS weighs 140kg's more).

The difference between the Leon ST and Octavia estate is (I think) that Seat's quoted weight includes a driver, whereas the Skoda's weigh is without.

Edited by jlwah

One of the contributing factors I believe is that the Octavia up to 150 BHP gets the torsion beam. Anything over 150 gets multi link.

I am sure with the Golf and Leon and thing 150 hp and above gets multi link.

Therefore it's very likely for a 1.4 TSI 140/2.0 TDI 150 Octavia to weigh quite a bit less than their Seat/VW equivalents.

That said the 2.0 TDI 150 Estate manual is listed as under 1300kgs in the brochure, which I struggle to believe as it ought to be a bit quicker than it is with 150hp and that low kerb weight for its size...don't get me wrong it's not slow at all far from it but in real life conditions I bet it weighs a bit over 1300kgs

Cheers chaps, good point about the rear suspension

How do I go about weighing the wife's Mk7 Golf GT? The stupid price she paid for that it must have fancy suspension  :D

on the same note I have been wondering where the extra 200-300kg go into when comparing a class C car to a class D car (with similar engines, and the class C Octavia is as big as some class D cars)

I get that this new MQB platform managed to cut weight from everywhere ( I bumped into this presentation http://www.auto-inderbitzin.ch/_pdf/aktionen/2012_02_03_15_25_19_neueMotoren.pdf , in german) and many manufacturers began using hot stamping steel ( http://automotive.arcelormittal.com/europe/products/UHSS/Usibor/EN ) but still ...

I wished the folks at EuroNCAP would use a tougher impact test that would not award 5 stars to so many cars, this weight reduction may show its drawbacks there

This. Go weight a Skoda, you'll find its heavier than the kerb weight figures state.

I think firstly it's the driver + fuel thing, If you look in different places you will find a 75kg discrepancy in the quoted weight.

Then there's the build standard. There's one weight quoted for a given body/engine combo, but if you add all the options it must add weight, and the primary reason that the spare isn't standard is to keep it off the quoted weight. So yes, I'd be surprised if there are many Octy's out there below 1200kg, but it is still a very light car compared to slightly older models from other manufacturers (a mondeo is the best part of 1500kg).

Leon 150 ps has torsion beam suspension.

Also the VW range of golfs have Euro 6 compliant engines where as the Skoda and Seat don't have the latest engines fitted yet (Euro 5).

Edited by Black_Sheep

Leon 150 ps has torsion beam suspension.

Also the VW range of golfs have Euro 6 compliant engines where as the Skoda and Seat don't have the latest engines fitted yet (Euro 5).

It is the 184 version that I mentioned though which has same multilink as vrs. Just realised that as standard the leon as 17" wheels (although most of them are specced with the optional 18") hence why the emissions are probably lower. I thought the 2.0tdi engine in the latest leon and octavia would be the same as in the golf?

It is the 184 version that I mentioned though which has same multilink as vrs. Just realised that as standard the leon as 17" wheels (although most of them are specced with the optional 18") hence why the emissions are probably lower. I thought the 2.0tdi engine in the latest leon and octavia would be the same as in the golf?

Ok, a little off topic as OP was comparing 1.4 petrol. But for the diesel, VW and Audi have latest engine variants (although I think this is the same for the petrol too):

http://www.dieselcarmagazine.co.uk/features/euro-6-understanding-the-new-regulations/

Edited by Black_Sheep

Ok, a little off topic as OP was comparing 1.4 petrol. But for the diesel, VW and Audi have latest engine variants:

http://www.dieselcarmagazine.co.uk/features/euro-6-understanding-the-new-regulations/

Sorry - fat fingers on the phone!

Edited by Black_Sheep