Skoda Superb III will be introduced in Geneva auto show 2015

• 2 months later...

I'll be going to the Geneva show - shame the large petrol non turbo lump is going....a v8 would have been nice :)  Now stuck with a 2.0 turbo petrol unit only.... :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be going to the Geneva show - shame the large petrol non turbo lump is going....a v8 would have been nice :)  Now stuck with a 2.0 turbo petrol unit only.... :(

Yeah, but a 2.0 petrol unit that with a remap will put out 350bhp and over 360flbt, trust me I have a mk3 VRS Octavia with over 330bhp so can vouch for how quick and good this engine is, I think it's a very clever move to be honest  :clap:  :clap:

Edited by Telboy5
  • Like 2

The V6 sounded nice but the 280PS petrol is more powerful, quicker, more economical. What's not to like?

• Like 1

Thanks Telboy5 and Rapid Ronnie. Quite some output figures there! Fantastic stuff. I'd love to put my car up past 300bhp one day. I must confess that I had a hire car (Octavia 1.4 turbo ) for a few weeks and until I looked under the hood I would have sworn it was a bigger unit....so the 2.0 litre unit should be a cracker then...

I suppose I'm just a bit old school and like the big engines even if they are not as quick. I accept that with modern tech and mods a small, lighter engine can perform really well.

But I still stick with my dream of 'a V8 would have been nice' - a superb S6 if you will ;)

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks Telboy5 and Rapid Ronnie. Quite some output figures there! Fantastic stuff. I'd love to put my car up past 300bhp one day. I must confess that I had a hire car (Octavia 1.4 turbo ) for a few weeks and until I looked under the hood I would have sworn it was a bigger unit....so the 2.0 litre unit should be a cracker then...

I suppose I'm just a bit old school and like the big engines even if they are not as quick. I accept that with modern tech and mods a small, lighter engine can perform really well.

But I still stick with my dream of 'a V8 would have been nice' - a superb S6 if you will ;)

Dave

No worries, totally understand where you're coming from.

I had the pleasure of owning a VW Passat R36, same engine as yours with 300bhp, bloody quick car 0-60,felt generally strong and that it'd go on for miles and miles.

The only thing that let it down was its weight and lack of torque on the go. Not a lot could keep up with me from 0-60, however in gear a lot could keep up with me.

The new 2.0 Turbo is in another league, strong power/torque and mapped, well all I can say is hold on  :D  :D  you won't miss your V6's or V8's for that matter, all bar the noise of course!!

• Like 2

The rear wiper is somewhat annoying. I never missed it once when I removed it on my Octavia, even in filthy winter weather on motorway commutes. And the horizontal boot surface is significantly longer on the Superb 3 than the Octavia 2, so I can't see it'd be a problem to lose it. In fact, I think it's longer on a Superb 3 than many saloon cars which of course don't have a rear wiper. A factory delete option would be nice.

• Like 2

The rear wiper is somewhat annoying. I never missed it once when I removed it on my Octavia, even in filthy winter weather on motorway commutes. And the horizontal boot surface is significantly longer on the Superb 3 than the Octavia 2, so I can't see it'd be a problem to lose it. In fact, I think it's longer on a Superb 3 than many saloon cars which of course don't have a rear wiper. A factory delete option would be nice.

Absolutely agree with you Nick & Superb 170...Rear wiper will spoil the look of SIII. There are saloons/hatchbacks without wiper with similar backlight angle so why does SIII need a rear wiper in specific markets including the UK??

Btw, are they 19" wheels? I test drove the New Passat with 19" and surprisingly the ride comfort was pretty good...so it is worth trying 19" in SIII

Btw, 

Btw, are they 19" wheels? I test drove the New Passat with 19" and surprisingly the ride comfort was pretty good...so it is worth trying 19" in SIII

Btw, 

They're like 19s alright and look fantastic - they mention 19 wheels as options on the press releases.  The 19s on new Passat are 235/40/19 which might be okay but I've seen 35 profiles on some A6s and I think they are just a step too far in terms of comfort and ride quality.  18" upwards will always be a move away from comfort towards looks and (possibly) handling but there has to be a trade-off somewhere I suppose.  IMO something like a 235/45/18 (5 higher profile than the current) would suit the new Superb nicely and offer the best blend of comfort, performance and looks.

I'd rather have 35s and the lower replacement tyre prices. 215 35 r19s felt fine on my Octavia. The roads here are in such a state that you have to weave a lot to avoid craters whether you're on 15s or 19s - you just can't drive through them.

• Like 1

I'd rather have 35s and the lower replacement tyre prices. 215 35 r19s felt fine on my Octavia. The roads here are in such a state that you have to weave a lot to avoid craters whether you're on 15s or 19s - you just can't drive through them.

Well they can't be any worse than some of the roads here in Ireland. There are some roads and you have no other choice but to drive through the potholes as there are so many together there is no space to weave!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dave

A V8 would indeed be nice, but difficult to install as a transverse engine, + probably zero demand in the tax-obsessed  company car market

DC.

• Like 1

I have 19`s as summer wheels on my Superb2 and from the little driving I have done on them, combined with the uprated/lowered suspension, the ride has been very acceptable. Not harsh or fidgety, rather good actually. I was surprised.

That pearl white Superb on the Phoenix alloys posted by Nick P is rather nice....I`d consider that in estate format once my lease is up in few years time  ;)

• Like 1

Yup. Moon white on phoenix wheels for me.  :thumbup:

SUP_LI_EXT_DAY_2Y2Y_SHANGHAI_0054.jpg

If it actually maintains this sort of presence in the flesh I'll be getting one asap, it really appeals to me that much, it's the first buzzy car for me since the 405, yeah I said 405, back in 1988 the 405 was 4 wheeled sex to look at shame it wasn't as reliable though.

If it actually maintains this sort of presence in the flesh I'll be getting one asap, it really appeals to me that much, it's the first buzzy car for me since the 405, yeah I said 405, back in 1988 the 405 was 4 wheeled sex to look at shame it wasn't as reliable though.

I agree. The Pininfarina styled 405 was a lovely design. In MI16 form a formidable road machine too.

• Like 1