Tyre's for my vRS

• 4 weeks later...

I was getting a little upset at only getting 13500 miles out of the front on the conti tyres! I reckon I can get another 500 out of them so looking round for a fitter in Bristol that won't damage the alloys! Any suggestions?

I got 9K out of the conti2s. I had the tracking checked and fixed, it was way out. Replacement F1s have done 10K and still on 8mm.

You've done 10k with no wear at all to the tyres? Is that 10k on the back of the flat bed?

• Like 4

You've done 10k with no wear at all to the tyres? Is that 10k on the back of the flat bed?

I'm on 36k now and original fronts still got an even 4mm, rears still have over 6mm, at his rate, I'll get 50k from the fronts if I keep them on until down to 1.6mm and the rears should last 100k!

I'm on 36k now and original fronts still got an even 4mm, rears still have over 6mm, at his rate, I'll get 50k from the fronts if I keep them on until down to 1.6mm and the rears should last 100k!

Do you do lots of motorway driving or driving on straight roads

• Like 1

Do you do lots of motorway driving or driving on straight roads

Yep, I average about 2k per month and about 70% is on the motorway. Still can't believe how light footed the Octy III is compared to the Superb II

I got my VRS diesel almost exactly the same time as baz555 and I'm shopping for new fronts with a little over 12k on the clock as mine are just about on the bar!

Im tempted by the Continental CS5 to keep the same brands (mine came with Conti CS2) and they are on at Kwik Fit very close to me for £108.50 ea. I would hope to get a few more miles on this set as I was undertandably a little enthusiastic in my driving when I first got the car.....

If anyone can recommend anything almost solely on the basis of being long wearing I'd be grateful!

I think I'm gonna be on a par with thekidfromkensington by the sounds of it - I'm not far off the wear markers on the front, at 10500 miles. (Bridgestone potenzas)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Budgets on my VRS from bathwick tyres. Less than £60 each and I get 15k plus out of them and no real issues with grip. Unless you do track days or drive on the limit (waiting for the crash to happen) then no issues and a waste of time spending more. For track days and out and out grip I used to use Bridgestone Potenza Pole positions on my impreza.

If anyone can recommend anything almost solely on the basis of being long wearing I'd be grateful!

Dunlop Sport Maxx GT, over 36k and still not down to wear indicators. Some people complain they are rubbish in the grip department but personally, I don't drive like Lewis Hamilton so not an issue for me, and if you are looking for long wearing, look no further!

My fronts are at 3mm at 13900 miles. Hope to get at least 20 to 25k out of them. I check the pressures at least once a week to ensure good economy and grip etc. Would look to replace my Conti Sport 2's with the same.

Hi picked up my Vrs TDi 7 days ago which was shod with budget front tyres and 3mm tread left Dunlops on the rear. In the 300 miles I have done since picking up the car the fronts gave me no confidence whatsoever so I've changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 3's and wow what a difference. The car needs above average hoops to match the performance. Also Michelin give you a debit card with £70 on it when you buy 4 tyres by the end of the month I think so even cheaper. I used The Tyrebarn in Newbury and no I don't work there or know anyone who does but they had the deal going. No brainier really. Brilliant tyres though

I got 27k km out of the contis on the FR, swapped for Goodyear efficient grip performance last week. Nice and quiet, good in the wet and damp. Good medium between winter tyres and summer tyres tbh.

Hi picked up my Vrs TDi 7 days ago which was shod with budget front tyres and 3mm tread left Dunlops on the rear.

I'm assuming this was a used car?  If it was a new car, I'd be getting the dealer to change them for new premium tyres or rejecting it...

• Like 1

Budgets on my VRS from bathwick tyres. Less than £60 each and I get 15k plus out of them and no real issues with grip. Unless you do track days or drive on the limit (waiting for the crash to happen) then no issues and a waste of time spending more. For track days and out and out grip I used to use Bridgestone Potenza Pole positions on my impreza.

I'll steer clear of Chippenham on rainy days then but, each to their own I guess.

LOL...I don't get issues with grip even though I drive with budgets. However I don't use half the cars potential speed performance either. If you drive sedate (and I average 45-47mpg with an average speed of 25-27mph) the tyres work fine. A lot of budgets are older tread patterns from the big manufacturers anyway. Like I say its down to how you drive.

Some of the F1A2s come out with 11/32 (8.7mm) of tread so his claims aren't outside the realms of truth.

Mostly they are 10/32 (7.9mm) and some of the Porsche OEM builds are 9/32 (7.1mm).  Maybe his car has the hover-mode option pack?

LOL...I don't get issues with grip even though I drive with budgets. However I don't use half the cars potential speed performance either. If you drive sedate (and I average 45-47mpg with an average speed of 25-27mph) the tyres work fine. A lot of budgets are older tread patterns from the big manufacturers anyway. Like I say its down to how you drive.

How many vRS drives drive 25-27 mph

Sorry too sound rude why buy a Vrs ...??

How many vRS drives drive 25-27 mph

Sorry too sound rude why buy a Vrs ...??

I think you need to understand "average speed".  I would have thought anyone who lives anywhere near London would understand that sitting in traffic jams for most of your journey decreases your average speed to something very low, even if you do 100mph for the 250yds when the traffic clears...

And not wishing to be rude back - but why does owning a vRS mean you have to drive like a to$$er?  Oh, sorry, you live in Surrey... it's compulsory, isn't it!  :p

• Like 1

I think you need to understand "average speed".  I would have thought anyone who lives anywhere near London would understand that sitting in traffic jams for most of your journey decreases your average speed to something very low, even if you do 100mph for the 250yds when the traffic clears...

And not wishing to be rude back - but why does owning a vRS mean you have to drive like a to$$er?  Oh, sorry, you live in Surrey... it's compulsory, isn't it!  :p

i'm sorry ... I don't sit in traffic jams..I live in the countryside, only slow journey i get is getting behind a tractor ..!!  and i'm 30 miles south of London....  :angel: