No soft Touch Plastics Does It Matter?

I read in Auto Express that ' there isn't a soft touch plastic to be seen in the cabin' of the new fabia .Does this matter?

As long as the plastic that is there is good quality .( this remains to be seen)

How many of us spend time pressing our dash or door trims?  However I am hoping that the armrest is padded like on the Rapid.

• Like 2

As long as the Seats & Steering wheel / Gear knob feels good. 

They are going to sell Monte Carlos later in 2015,

and they are going to be available with every engine, be Sporty with 'Fizz'.

So all is well with the All New 3rd Generation Skoda.

Looking forward to sitting in one and poking the various surfaces,

and enjoying the youthfulness of them. 

space and ergonomics are more important to me than soft touch plastics

spec looks good, price no so good (we'll see what offers they have)

need to see one in the flesh and sit in it

• Like 1

I am more concerned that the switch gear has a good solid feels and the doors close with a nice solid shut. My current Fabia obviously has cheap plastics. The boot linings have stood up well to 4 years of dog travel and stuff like going to the tip. And are still in good condition, so cant be that bad? I am sure most of my rattles is all the stuff I keep in the car rather than the car itself.

Edited by threadbear
  • Like 1

Agree with the above comments - the bits that you touch are the bits which matter.

My Rapid also doesn't have soft touch plastics (my Roomster did), but I'd take the Rapid interior over the Roomster's every time.

• Like 1

space and ergonomics are more important to me than soft touch plastics

spec looks good, price no so good (we'll see what offers they have)

need to see one in the flesh and sit in it

Spec does look good the 'S' seems to have moved up to at least the old 'SE' trim level bar alloy wheels , i am wondering if after six months or so they will bring out a lower trim level starting under 10k

Spec does look good the 'S' seems to have moved up to at least the old 'SE' trim level bar alloy wheels , i am wondering if after six months or so they will bring out a lower trim level starting under 10k

They tried that with the original Yeti in the form of the E trim level but it sort of flopped and was eventually withdrawn in the UK.

TP

Do 'soft touch' plastics have sound deadening properties ? I know they look better imo .Also on that subject. Will the cabin have more sound proofing I wonder.

I guess they must do,think there is more soundproofing tests to date have commented that its a quiet drive. I am sure when all the mags do their group tests there will be endless lines about hard plastics!

They have to have some things to write and moan about so I wouldn't worry about it, like GoneoffSki said, so long as the steering wheel, seats and gear knob feel as good as the current ones then that's all that matters.

They have to have some things to write and moan about so I wouldn't worry about it, like GoneoffSki said, so long as the steering wheel, seats and gear knob feel as good as the current ones then that's all that matters.

Works well in the Spaceback and I don't have an issue with the quality of the hard plastic door cards or dash; look smart enough and particularly the cards more hard wearing and easer to clean than fabric inserts.

TP

• Like 1

A pity the Motoring Magazines & Journalists can not give more concern to actual important stuff,

Ask the Manufacturers, 

'Have you resolved all issues the Previous Generation Models had, before launching this 'All New Fabia'.

'Are you sure in the UK with Right Hand Drive, there will be no Pulling to the Left.

Are the Engines that are already being used in other VWG cars totally reliable and are Dealership Staff fully aware of Servicing Requirements,

& reporting any issues to the Factory so that the Technical Department, Senior Management and Media know about the Issues.

Will you be quick in responding to any Snagging Faults and issues, major or minor,

Technical items like Engines / Gearboxes, or just Cosmetic stuff like premature Corrosion.?

Then a question like.

??

Mk2 Fabia vRS & other VWG cars with Twincharger Engines had issues, yet VW. Skoda, Seat, Audi have never acknowledged these.,

You just say the vRS Fabia did not sell well.

Will you now accept Skoda / VW have treated Some people that bought these cars badly,

Apologise and compensate some that are out of pocket because of VW / Skodas poor Communications,

& Design, Manufacturing or Quality Control. Customer Services.?

• Like 1

Do 'soft touch' plastics have sound deadening properties ? I know they look better imo .Also on that subject. Will the cabin have more sound proofing I wonder.

I think they do - just like the soft carpet (which I also don't often touch)

Surely they do all the Driver / Passenger compartment testing etc,

See what works, then build the cheapest they can get away with.

As to sound deadening,

I have driven Budget Cars and Vans, Euro 5 Compliant,

that are Painted Metal & Hard Plastic Interiors, and Rubber Flooring etc,  and not as noisy inside as much more expensive Premium Vehicles 

with Soft Touch Surfaces & Plush Carpeting.

So will many of the Car Magazine Road Testers & Journalists,

& if it had S, STI, RS, GT, GTI. R. Type R, EVO, etc on the badge,  they will be saying how good they sounded.

Light Weight, Sports Models, Weight Reduction etc etc.

Carbon Fibre Dashes or Brushed Alloy, are not exactly 'Soft Touch' .

Edited by goneoffSKi

We have a 2013 Ford Fiesta at the moment which car mag testers have now decided has a poor quality dash...it is fine if a bit messy..

For a couple of years this car has been the small hatch benchmark according to every single magazine road test ever; now....not so much..!

The new Fabia will be on our shopping list but I do like nice squidgy feel......

I agree its the things you touch all the time that matter most

We have a 2013 Ford Fiesta at the moment which car mag testers have now decided has a poor quality dash...it is fine if a bit messy..

For a couple of years this car has been the small hatch benchmark according to every single magazine road test ever; now....not so much..!

The new Fabia will be on our shopping list but I do like nice squidgy feel......

Your right the fiesta was praised for its solid dash, now the comments have changed even though the dash has not.I think the rear door cards on the fiesta are plasticky though.

Yeah, I laugh at automotive journalists equating feel of plastics with quality. After all. I don't drive around feeling the plastic on the dash or the door card etc.

That said, could it be argued that softer plastic/materials are less likely to make noise when rubbing together - that is, make fewer rattles?

The soft touch plastic of the mark 4 golf's and the early Octavia's peel off at the door and around the arm rest. I for one prefer the harder plastic provided they don't sound hollow and cheap!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting quote from Autocar on the SUK website 'It's cleanly designed neatly laid out and bolted together like a bunker. Even in range topping trim there's no soft touch furnishings but there doesn't have to be when the detailing and functionality are this immaculate.

• Like 3

On the subject of soft touch plastics, here's a paragraph from Car's review of the new Mazda 2 and in particular, it's interior.

'Quality, however, even accounting for some pre-production clunkiness, isn’t brilliant. Dubious artificial carbonfibre-patterned plastic coats most of the trim panels and fit and finish isn’t up to the likes of the Skoda Fabia – although at least it looks a bit more interesting'.

Not all reviews are bemoaning the lack of soft touch plastics on the Fabia, me, so long as it looks Ok and doesn't squeak or rattle then I'm happy.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Well, a few hours ago, I sat inside a new Fabia Hatch (SE) model.. Inside I'm quite happy with the quality of the finish on both the steering wheel and the buttons on the consoles.  Glove box has slow cushioned opening on it. Compartment above the mirror also slow cushioned opening.  Air vents are improved over the Mk1 with it looks like a 1 - 5 speed setting for how much air you've got coming into the cabin, besides the usual left/right up/down controls, but the dial is a lot better more rugged.    It's not bad.. going for a small test drive soon.. can't say where, not allowed, as they're not supposed to be doing so at the moment apparently.. ;)

Well, a few hours ago, I sat inside a new Fabia Hatch (SE) model.. Inside I'm quite happy with the quality of the finish on both the steering wheel and the buttons on the consoles.  Glove box has slow cushioned opening on it. Compartment above the mirror also slow cushioned opening.  Air vents are improved over the Mk1 with it looks like a 1 - 5 speed setting for how much air you've got coming into the cabin, besides the usual left/right up/down controls, but the dial is a lot better more rugged.    It's not bad.. going for a small test drive soon.. can't say where, not allowed, as they're not supposed to be doing so at the moment apparently.. ;)

Thanks for that . Do you remember if the armrest on the door card was padded or hard plastic?