Retrofitting a 3 spoke MFSW?

Hi guys, I've been looking into buying this: http://skodadop.com/en/octavia-iii-/interer-octavia-iii/multirul-so-skosom-lepestkami-shkoda-oktaviya-iii-rs-s-belym-shvom.html

For my black edition which came with a non MFSW (4spoke).

Is it possible to retrofit this and get the buttons working? What parts would I need aside from coding it in? Also and chance of the paddles being programmed in?

Finally I assume the airbag remains the same as per 4 spoke wheel?

Cheers

While we wait for the experts to log on, when I got my SE with the no-function wheel I asked the dealer if the MF wheel could be fitted and was told no, not without some major wiring surgery, which would cost an arm and a leg. Or more. Pity, I still try to turn the stereo up by pressing an imaginary switch.

Experts?

I must admit, volume control on the stereo is what I'm after most. The 11 year old £300 Clio I bought whilst I was waiting the Octavia had a brilliant setup!

All O3's ( at least in Denmark ) are built with the Highline CAN Gateway which is a prerequisite for MFSW. Så you only need the MFSW and an airbag cable (5E0 971 584 A) which contains the extra wires for the switches.

There are different models here: http://www.eskoda-shop.cz/volanty-stabilizatory-atd-55440?pg=1

I have done a few purchases there and I can recommend them. Their website is in Checz - but there is a Google Translate function. Delivery is fast - payment via PayPal.

Edited by strandgaard
  • Like 1

How would one find out if the car has the gateway thing?

Could the wiper stalk with buttons be retained to run duplicate, or be disabled?

• 11 months later...

Ok so I've taken the plunge and bought the wheel with the paddles. Has anyone had a go at this since the thread was originally started?

Cheers

Hi

It should be possible, I have had a Superb MFSW fitted to my Monte, and all the Buttons work! wiring needs to be done to make it work. Sorry I can't help with advise on how it's done, but I can be. So if it can be done on a 2012 Fabia, I am 99% it's possible on most modern Skodas. I believe the wheel fitting are the same for all modern Skodas- ie I have seen on this forum that a Citigo wheel fitted to a Fabia.

Hope this has been of help.

Steve

Thanks for the help guys. I am hoping the car has the Highline already (how can I find out?) I'll be ordering the wiring today, I believe the part number is: 5E0 971 584 A

Cheers, thats what I figured I might need to do. I've booked the car in at a local place that seem happy to help. I should know more next Wednesday - fingers crossed.

I dont think you "have" to change the wiper stalk....once coded the MFSW take over and the wiper stalk buttons become redundant I believe.

Just a bit tidier to have the regular wiper stalk as it does away with any evidence of a retrofit being carried out.

Yeah the reason I'll probably keep it if it all works as planned is that I might give the car back in a couple of years time and get a Superb, so this can all be put back to normal and sold on if necessary.

Just to keep this up to date, I had the car plugged in this lunchtime and it's come up as a midline-gateway. I'm unsure if this will work, but for the sake of the £30 harness I'll get it and try my luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Further update. Wheel got fitted today along with the harness but the Midline Gateway doesn't want to play ball.

E1DEF8F9-8141-4C02-A600-A04A0377E575_zps

I'm now trying to get hold of a Highline Gateway. I had a reg of a 2015 VRS that supposedly had DSG, MFSW and SatNav but it came back with part number 5K0-953-549-C which seems to be a midline again!! Ross-Tech says the Highline version is 5K0-953-549-B. I'm slightly confused as there are later versions listed on Ross-tech and I can't work out why the car doesn't have one of them fitted.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions

Further investigation needed, though it's quite tricky.

Looks really nice buddy.

There is a guy called Eddie (Eddie_NL) on the forums (he knocks about mostly on the Mk2 one), he is the dogs at retrofits.

He might be able to provide advice....if you live anywhere near Norfolk where I believe he is from he might be willing to help you out. Might be worth PM'ing him just to see....sure he'll be able to advise you on components/way forward worst case.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I did not select to pay extra for a MFSW on my Octy SE, and the car is now built and waiting to be shipped.

From this and other posts, it looks like I might be able to add it afterwards when funds permit. 

I will use VCDS to check if I have a Highline controller. I am not sure if all MY16's have the Highline? I added optional (normal) Cruise Control as an option, so I was hoping that might mean that a Highline controller is needed?

You can get a good value 'upgrade' pack here: http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/multifunction-switches-buttons-6/oem-multifuntion-switches-retrofit-upgrade-for/#prettyPhoto

(although hopefully I won't need the controller, just buttons & airbag cable)

But... the buttons are not for MY16, they are for earlier cars:

post-57991-0-19035900-1455699652_thumb.jpg

So will that mean that that pressing 'Audio Source' will actually activate 'Voice Control' or will the buttons be correct?

Currently there is quite a big saving if you don't go the MY16 button route (plus more 2nd hand pre-MY16 ones are available etc etc)

Thanks

• 5 months later...

As mentioned via pm, I was warned about component lockdown when fitting a new Gateway to a MQB platform car, which means it's a Skoda only job (so I was told).

I'm not sure if this has changed since, but I remember reading a few of the Golf guys had had similar issues.