Coolant additive (antifreeze) for the Yeti?

docc

After reading a dire warning in the local paper about car-specific antifreeze and the dangers of using the wrong stuff, I checked the manual.

It says:

"When refilling, only use the same antifreeze written on the antifreeze expansion tank » Fig. 161 on page 205."

Inevitably, I suppose, there's nothing written on the expansion tank.  New car, level at the minimum - top-up would be a good idea.

Any thoughts as to the correct coolant additive for a 2014 Yeti?  Is it just the standard VAG G13?

Coolant is colour coded. If its got blue coolant -  only top up with blue. If it has pink coolant- only top up with pink.

There is a universal yellow coolant available that is compatible with both colours so is worth keeping in the garage if you have multiple cars.

• Like 1

Inevitably, I suppose, there's nothing written on the expansion tank.  New car, level at the minimum - top-up would be a good idea.

Interesting. My 2014 Yeti coolant was near the low point after less than 3000 miles. I wonder if this is normal? (I did go, last week to the dealer for pressure test, nothing showing, and a top up.)

Interesting. My 2014 Yeti coolant was near the low point after less than 3000 miles. I wonder if this is normal? (I did go, last week to the dealer for pressure test, nothing showing, and a top up.)

Quite normal.

Quite normal.

Thanks for that.

But why?  I thought the systems nowadays were so sealed they did not need attention unless there was a fault.

My last  2 cars were (petrol) Roomsters. The coolant level never moved from full.

Is it something to do with VAG  diesel?

Thanks for that.

But why?  I thought the systems nowadays were so sealed they did not need attention unless there was a fault.

My last  2 cars were (petrol) Roomsters. The coolant level never moved from full.

Is it something to do with VAG  diesel?

Nothing to do with VAG diesels. I've owned one Roomster 1.9tdi and 2 Yetis 2.0 140 and 110 and the only one that needed coolant topup was the Roomster and that had a faulty water pump.

Fred

I've had 2 Yetis and on both the coolant level always settled below level mark so for me that was the norm.Never had any problems with either so just enjoy and anyhow theres a warning light built in to the reservoir which will come on if the level were ever to drop too far

• 1 year later...

Coolant is colour coded. If its got blue coolant -  only top up with blue. If it has pink coolant- only top up with pink.

There is a universal yellow coolant available that is compatible with both colours so is worth keeping in the garage if you have multiple cars.

Quote from a major coolant manufacturer :

"Anti-freeze is a little bit of a misnomer, really it should be referred to as the coolant because as well as reducing the chance of the engine block being damaged through freezing and therefore expansion which can crack the block, the coolant also raises the boiling point of the water – this goes hand in hand with the cooling system being pressurised. Older coolants were methanol or ethylene glycol based and were corrosive, they were designed to keep the engine’s internal water ways clear and free from silt and rust by keeping the particles in suspension which could otherwise clog the system up. Remember taking the pressure cap off to be greeted with a dirty, orange coloured solution? This was the coolant fluid saying it hadn’t been replaced often enough and was on the point of becoming useless.

Modern coolant is generally much more advanced and can be referred to as OAT, Organic Acid Technology, this is now used in one form or another in most vehicles from new and is still being developed and improved. The old ethylene glycol mix is now reserved for classic vehicles or those with cast iron blocks & heads, the OAT coolant is now being further improved with silicate inhibitors that reduce the effect of differential corrosion between the various metals used in modern engines. With the older methanol based coolants, an annual change was necessary just before the onset of winter as the methanol content would evaporate quite quickly. With ethylene glycol mixes, it was advisable to replace after two years / 20,000 miles. The newer technologies are pushing that out to four to six years / 100,000 miles and the aim is to produce within 5 years a coolant that will last the life of the vehicle (subject to there being no leaks of course).

In essence, don’t be tempted to throw just any anti-freeze in to your coolant system, you will be doing more harm than good. As long as the strength of the solution is maintained, there's no benefit from changing it early."

Hope it helps.

John H

Edited by speedsport
  • Like 3

By definition, the "minimum" mark is just that, and not a "top up now" mark!

Anything lower would mean a top up was necessary.

It's designed to allow for expansion when the coolant expands as it gets hot.

• Like 1