suspension arm bolt loose

stann01

hi, not been a member for long as only got the fabia vrs not long ago.

car has been really acting wierd driving/ steering, getting all sorts of knocks ect.

a bit of history- bought the car off some young chap who told me he done the bushes ect, had some borbet deep dish alloys on the car.

as the car was steering funny ect i checked tyres and the front ones are balding on the inside (only bought them not long ago)

took the car to the garage today to have the tracking checked and as soon as i drove it in the guy said look at the camber on the front!

on looking at it he said its fixed so maybe changing the tracking alot might sort it out, i said ok so booked it in, the near side tyre was showing canvas on the inside remember i only just got these tyres :-( so agreed to put on a part worn tyre for now (£25) so not bad.

upon chaning the tyres putting the wheel back on he was tightening the wheel bolts and the wheel was moving back and forth and said are you sure the guy you bought it off changed the bushes? he looked at the bush that connects the wishbone to the subframe and it was loose!!! he tried to tighten it but it just keeps going round :-(

any advice from you guys???

he said im talking big bucks to get sorted  :wall::sweat: :sweat:

A common fault I'm afraid.

When removing the bolt that holds the bottom arm in place, it has a habit of pulling the threads out of the console.

You can try and helicoil it but 9 times out of 10 people replace the whole console.

Budget a couple hundred to get it changed.

Bolt (item 4) going through subframe and wishbone into threaded hole in console (item 23) is the problem, yeah? New console about £105 from TPS. Much cheaper aftermarket versions probably available. Secondhand will be cheaper but thread may be 'pre-damaged'.  You should use a new bolt anyway.

Part numbers and picky here: link

Bolt (item 4) going through subframe and wishbone into threaded hole in console (item 23) is the problem, yeah? New console about £105 from TPS. Much cheaper aftermarket versions probably available. Secondhand will be cheaper but thread may be 'pre-damaged'.  You should use a new bolt anyway.

Part numbers and picky here: link

that looks promising! better than what the guy at the gargage said, was looking at subframes on ebay!! might cost more but looks easier to do.

Edited by stann01

^^ yes thanks for that, took to the garage this morning, they tried to get one from the motor factors they use but no joy.

so said i could get one off ebay you guys pointed me to and he said no rpoblem he would fit it ect and do it for cash :clap:

just got to wait for it to come.

he was not impressed that the guy sold me the car the way it is. tbf could this of happened if i hit the speed bumps round here to hard?

i.e stripped the thread snapped the bolt ?

No. This can only happen if the clamping force was not correct, because it had previously been under-tightened or the thread damaged, or both. Most likely a previous owner had a go themselves, or got a bad garage to do the job. Bolt should always be replaced whenever removed; this minimises the chance of future trouble.

My car failed it's MOT today because of the rubber bushes in the console.  The inspector warned me that if I did the job myself, that the threads often strip, (like all the above posters said), but said the bolt that Skoda fitted doesn't use all the available threads anyway, and if I stripped it I could put it back together with a longer bolt (8 threads longer he said).

I'm fitting poly bushes tomorrow, well that's the plan.  I hope it stays dry, and warm would be nice too.