Taken The Plunge!

Lung

After much deliberation over car, then spec, I've finally clicked the order button for:

Rapid 1.2 TSi 105 GreenTec Elegance

Pacific Blue

Spare Wheel

Amundsen+

Sports Seats

Now to see what price DtD can actually deliver! It's my first brand-new car, after always swearing blind I'd never buy new. I'm expecting a 12-14 week wait, fingers crossed it won't take longer.

• Like 1

DtD called first thing this morning and confirmed the advertised price. The dealer, from East Anglia, called late this afternoon to say hello and confirm everything. All good so far  :clap:

• Like 1

Here's hoping you get a trouble free delivery...My first ever brand new car was late arriving, I'd already gone to Iraq, SWMBO picked it up and failed to notice the dent in the bonnet etc, etc.

Still the second brand new car (12 years later) was (and still is) perfect.

• Like 2

I agree, new car collection should be memorable - not just a low-loader dropping off in front of your house.  Drive home over a day or two, start the photo collection of your new wheels - In front of a Windmill, In front of BRM's garage in Bourne, In front of the RAF College., anything that takes your fancy.

• Like 1

Jeez, thats pricey. One way car rental would be a lot cheaper though!  I take it you're travelling from one of the Celtic nations, in which case the timing would be quicker by car also (unless you're North of the Central Belt)

Jeez, thats pricey. One way car rental would be a lot cheaper though!  I take it you're travelling from one of the Celtic nations, in which case the timing would be quicker by car also (unless you're North of the Central Belt)

If you count Cornwall as Celtic, then very nearly :)

I got the coach to get mine. Good day out and better than wondering who will drive it down and whether it will be clean enough to give it a good inspection before signing.

Did all correspondence after the initial phone call by email so I had a written record of what I wanted and what the dealer said they'd do. (This wasn't necessary as it turned out.) You should get some petrol and some accessories as a trade off for them not having to pay petrol, wages and return travel for the delivery driver.

• Like 1

I was lucky when I used a broker to buy my Skoda, it cost a measly £7 in bus fares to fetch it. Took 2hrs on the bus, went through seems like every village in North Derbys into Notts to get there. Got back in 30 mins in the new car.

Hoping for the same again when I eventually take the plunge in buying new, may be a different  longer road trip next time.

• Like 1

I took a bigger leap of faith in that i bought an un-sighted Rapid from dealer in Rochdale

It was year old and 14k miles but in Skoda approved (turned out to be hire car,,, but heh ho it had missed last winter and was like new! ;>) PHEW

I drove my car down from Perth and part exchanged and drove home a few grand lighter ;<(

Great journey back

Found a few extra issues once home but agreed with garage an amicable solution /fix

All weel and love the car (especially  after booming fixed!!!!!!)

Does seem a bit pricey that rail fare, obviously things have changed since 2011; it cost me £27 one way to get from the rural East Yorkshire rail station at the end of our street to Surrey to pick up the previous Yeti.

With the Spaceback I ended up getting my good lady to take me over to Derbyshire in her car to collect it; had planned a P/X but got offered a better price elsewhere.

TP

3 hours, 3 buses to Scunthorpe, 40 minutes home in shiny new car  :sun:

Really, I would do a one way rental to East Anglia in the cheapest & crappiest car Avis/Budget/Europcar have got and then do the return trip basking in the loveliness of your new ride.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've just had a phone call from Skinners in Great Yarmouth. My Rapid is being built Week 51, so the week after next, and they expect to have it early-ish January. I was expecting late Feb given the 12-14 week estimate I was given. What a great Christmas present!

• Like 1