Taken The Plunge!

Lung

I've just had a phone call from Skinners in Great Yarmouth. My Rapid is being built Week 51, so the week after next, and they expect to have it early-ish January. I was expecting late Feb given the 12-14 week estimate I was given. What a great Christmas present!

At least you get a visit to the seaside for a while, if you wanted to.

I managed to get a visit to the seaside too when picking mine up, North West though.

All the best for the New Year arrival. :happy:

• Like 1

At least you get a visit to the seaside for a while, if you wanted to.

I managed to get a visit to the seaside too when picking mine up, North West though.

:D  OP lives in Cornwall - already knows what the seaside's like -especially in Winter.

Mind you, when we lived in Newquay, at least in January you didn't have to fight your way through the Emmets to get a pint.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And now it's waiting at some port or other (does anyone know which one?) to be shipped over. Poor thing has to go to Grimsby!

More than likely it's at Emden in Northern Germany

You can watch ships come and go if you wish;

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/details/ports/175/Germany_port:EMDEN

Car carriers often have a name ending in Highway, such as Isar Highway; enjoy :D

TP

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

More than likely it's at Emden in Northern Germany

You were correct, it's just been loaded onto the ship at Emden and should be arriving at the Dealership next week. I've asked for GB plates to be fitted so I don't need a huge sticker when I go abroad, but what else should I be asking for them to sort for me before delivery? 

You were correct, it's just been loaded onto the ship at Emden and should be arriving at the Dealership next week. I've asked for GB plates to be fitted so I don't need a huge sticker when I go abroad, but what else should I be asking for them to sort for me before delivery? 

door drains - too many have been blocked by sealing wax.

• Like 2

Servicing schedule - Is it flexi service (up to 18000mile intervals) (option code QI6) or not?

Which service interval is best suited for how you will use the car?

Also headlamp alignment on mine was rubbish from new.

Edited by camelspyyder

Mud flaps if there not in the deal and agree re the lights; found the nearside beam was almost looking straight at the floor but as I noticed it after collection my nearest dealer wanted to charge for a realignment.

So I did it myself using the gates to reflect the pattern so I could adjust nearside level with the offside. Also fitted nightbreaker bulbs on the dipped beam at the same time and the lights are now pretty good.

TP

• Like 1

I've just had the dealership on the phone, trying to sell me the paint and interior protection. £299 seems awfully high for something I'm happy to have a go at myself. However, it's a ~350mile drive from the dealer to home before I'd be able to sort it, and I'd be gutted if it ended up chipped in that trip.

He didn't say what brand it was, just kept saying lifetime. I think I'll do it myself.

They mostly offer Autoglym Lifeshine, that's what they treated my Citigo with. In my opinion not really worth it, going by the paintwork on my previous car. Not really a Life shine, whatever they mean by that claim, it lasted around 3 months and wanted doing again. The interior seemed to stand up ok to mucky marks etc as that was supposed to have had a protective treatment applied. 

I think much better putting your money into a service plan which they tend to offer as well at the point of delivery, or sale.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My car is now at the dealer and should be delivered next week, although their driver is away for a couple of days so they couldn't confirm for definite. Sadly I don't think I can go to pick it up, but I guess having it delivered should show up any issues present.

• Like 1

After much deliberation over car, then spec, I've finally clicked the order button for:

Rapid 1.2 TSi 105 GreenTec Elegance

Pacific Blue

Spare Wheel

Amundsen+

Sports Seats

Now to see what price DtD can actually deliver! It's my first brand-new car, after always swearing blind I'd never buy new. I'm expecting a 12-14 week wait, fingers crossed it won't take longer.

Don't know about the Rapid too much, but I have a GreenTec Elegance on the Citigo, which is superb for MPG (massive difference over the SE courtesy car I had for a day or two). I can only assume the difference between the Rapid GT and non GT models will be similar. Looking forward to seeing the car. 

• Like 1

So the dealer just rang, it won't be delivered until the 28th or 29th. Bugger. 

Looking at trains again, if I got the 5.40am train, I'd be in Great Yarmouth by 2.10 :s An hour to go over the car and paperwork? Home by 10pm. Strangely tempted.

Edited by Lung

Definitely collect it, don't let them drive it to you. That way, any niggles you find during pre-delivery inspection can be sorted there and then. Plus driving home your own new car is fun!

Best thing is to phone them and clarify if those are the dates when they can deliver it, or the dates when it is actually due to be with them. If you do pick it up, maybe break up the journey by going there the afternoon before and staying over in a £29 Premier Inn or something.

• Like 2