Good Cop, Bad Cop

Leifmjcb

Hey Guys,

I'm from the Hope Valley, 20 mins from Sheffield. They've got a Ford Ranger of all vehicles, unmarked, plain clothed..undercover basically. He was in front of me egging me on the whole way back from sheffield, cutting corners at high speed, doing things that even i wouldn't be stupid enough to do, 40 in 30's. should of filmed him. got out the 30 to national speed and he slowed right down to 50 so i went to overtake him and a car infront and he sped up to 60 along side me so i had to speed to get past him. I pulled over at garage to fuel up and he creeps through the garage on the radio grabbing my plate. I get off, next min my mate tells me 3 marked beamers turn up... get the dashboard cams out boys n girls. We've got ourselves some dirty cops.

Anybody noticed or experienced anything simular?

Not in Sheffield - but over here in Preston a couple of months ago a mate of mine was on his way home late one night,

He passed, well within the speed limit, a parked white X5, the x5 immediately launched off and was suddenly filling my mates rear view mirror, he said he thought it was someone trying to run him off the road, the road has a long wide straight section, all at 30mph, then it goes into a 40 with lots of nice twistys.

Anyway my friend thought this x5 'wanted a go' so he set off as fast his driving talents would allow him (in a fiesta zetec s so it's not exactly slow).

I won't mention exact speeds but at one point the x5 was on his tail at over double the speed limit, two or so miles later as they approached the next village ( 30 limit ) my friend started to slow right down and the next thing, the blues started flashing, the x5 was an unmarked car.

How he wasn't even handed a fine never mind being banned I do not know. Just got a good rollocking.

JRJG

Unmarked police can't give traffic violations they have to be wearing uniform, thats just for future reference. Always let a car over take you before you start any antics :D

That is one of my firm beliefs:

He can get up my arse all he wants, but I am not putting my foot down, and putting innocent people at risk in a busy 30mph area!

If he/she wants to overtake, let them, let us see just how far ahead they get before the next set of traffic lights, usually one car length... Well worth it... :|

JRJG

• Like 1

Drive correctly and within the law,and the baiting as the previous refers to comes to nothing,so you are actually getting one up on the so called dirty your words cops.

• Like 2

Most police vehicles now have black boxes installed (like on aeroplanes) which will show speed, location, use of lights, etc.

Complain and demand the data is downloaded. If you are right in that the driving was erratic then said data could lead to the officer having their police driving licence suspended while they are investigated.

Officer will have to explain why he / she was driving in such a manner and if found guilty of traffic offences, could be in the do do.

Not in Sheffield - but over here in Preston a couple of months ago a mate of mine was on his way home late one night,

He passed, well within the speed limit, a parked white X5, the x5 immediately launched off and was suddenly filling my mates rear view mirror, he said he thought it was someone trying to run him off the road, the road has a long wide straight section, all at 30mph, then it goes into a 40 with lots of nice twistys.

Anyway my friend thought this x5 'wanted a go' so he set off as fast his driving talents would allow him (in a fiesta zetec s so it's not exactly slow).

I won't mention exact speeds but at one point the x5 was on his tail at over double the speed limit, two or so miles later as they approached the next village ( 30 limit ) my friend started to slow right down and the next thing, the blues started flashing, the x5 was an unmarked car.

How he wasn't even handed a fine never mind being banned I do not know. Just got a good rollocking.

JRJG

Yeah see some of the cops theese days can be alright and tbh, most of them have said/hinted that they envy us and half the time they want a good race. I was on the back of my mates bike, wont mention the speed but definatley enough for him to get an instant ban, they pulled us and gave him a *******ing and that was it. The thread explains it all really haha. Good Cop, Bad Cop...

Some dirty tricks going on out there, and a good cause for having dash mounted cams to record these sods.

It also gives good cops a bad name pulling stunts like this, as I'm sure some of them have fathers,

Yeah exactly, gotta go pro but it's not that practical for that purpose...

• Like 1

Unmarked police can't give traffic violations they have to be wearing uniform, thats just for future reference. Always let a car over take you before you start any antics :D

Yeah the only time i've seen him with lights on is when theres been a serious accident...

That is one of my firm beliefs:

He can get up my arse all he wants, but I am not putting my foot down, and putting innocent people at risk in a busy 30mph area!

If he/she wants to overtake, let them, let us see just how far ahead they get before the next set of traffic lights, usually one car length... Well worth it... :|

JRJG

You'll never seen me doing over 30 in a 30. That's one of my firm beliefs

Drive correctly and within the law,and the baiting as the previous refers to comes to nothing,so you are actually getting one up on the so called dirty your words cops.

On the whole I am a law obeying driver. We all have a blast occasionally but cars can be weapons.

On the whole I am a law obeying driver. We all have a blast occasionally but cars can be weapons.

And like any weapon, they are safe (for the operator) if used correctly.

• Like 1

Unmarked car, uniform or plain clothed, of course they can give out tickets/report for offences. Urban myth.

Unmarked car, uniform or plain clothed, of course they can give out tickets/report for offences. Urban myth.

163 road traffic act.

The Road Traffic Act is quite specific who it gives the powers to. For example, the S163 power mentioned below can ONLY be exercised by police officers in uniform. So, if a plain clothed officer in a unmarked police vehicle signals you to stop, you would commit NO offence by failing to stop.

same applies to ticket its entrapment.

• Like 1

163 road traffic act.

The Road Traffic Act is quite specific who it gives the powers to. For example, the S163 power mentioned below can ONLY be exercised by police officers in uniform. So, if a plain clothed officer in a unmarked police vehicle signals you to stop, you would commit NO offence by failing to stop.

same applies to ticket its entrapment.

Its not entrapment, your not inducing someone to commit an offence by being in an unmarked car. The simple fact is of someone sees a marked car they slow down/put the phone down. They would be committing the offence whether there was an unmarked car observing or not.

With regards to a constable in uniform I think your find this is in relation to actually stepping out into a road, hi-vis and hat, holding your hand up and requesting someone to stop.

Unmarked cars and plain clothes officers are used by most forces. They will need to provide identification such as warrant card.

Simply suggesting if an unmarked (and the use of unmarked in all these posts I have taken as unmarked with covert lighting) car tries to stop a road user and by not doing so you commit no offence is poor advice.

• Like 1

There are differences when you are talking about Law for England / Wales and Scotland and how things can be carried out by officers of the Law.

But often the Courts or some other Authority will decide what is Lawful or not, be that English / Welsh Courts or Scottish ones.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-17770342

Edited by goneoffSKi

There are differences when you are talking about Law for England / Wales and Scotland and how things can be carried out by officers of the Law.

But often the Courts or some other Authority will decide what is Lawful or not, be that English / Welsh Courts or Scottish ones.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-17770342

And quite right, there are differences and I for one totally agree with your link as it clearly states the police car had no visual or audible equipment. However if this were to occur within England then the same is likely to apply, the stop (and any offences from the attempted stop such as failing to stop)

My issue here is the bad advice given previously. It is clear from the OP that the initial unmarked Police car had covert lights. Therefore my previous posts have been with regards to unmarked cars with covert lights and sirens.

Anybody who fails to stop for an unmarked Police car is more than likely to be guilty of one or more offences.

post #18 already told the story as it is.

Unmarked Police Car with 'Uniformed Officers' in it.  

('Uniforms' being a bit flexible as a term, Nylon T Shirts, Crew necks, Cargos, Skip Caps,

it is difficult to tell between someone that wears a Uniform and someone that raided the Bargain Rail in TK Maxx.)

The Police will not be the ones that decide if an offence is committed, they might think one or two are.

The person being stopped is innocent until a Court decides there was guilt. or as happens in England and Wales,

Police officers can give Penalties at the Road Side if someone accepts them.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

And quite right, there are differences and I for one totally agree with your link as it clearly states the police car had no visual or audible equipment. However if this were to occur within England then the same is likely to apply, the stop (and any offences from the attempted stop such as failing to stop)

My issue here is the bad advice given previously. It is clear from the OP that the initial unmarked Police car had covert lights. Therefore my previous posts have been with regards to unmarked cars with covert lights and sirens.

Anybody who fails to stop for an unmarked Police car is more than likely to be guilty of one or more offences.

Go and ask a Sargent .

• Like 1

I see what you're saying but this Ford Ranger had no covert lights that he made me aware of. He simply drove dangerously trying to entise me, sped through a 30 at 40 then did 70 in a 60 but slowed down to 50, i overtook doing 50 and he sped up to 60 beside me meaning i had to do 70 to overtake. i pulled in at the garage a mile down the road and he drove past my car slowly on his radio whilst reading my plate, then waited to see where i was going to advise a marked car.

post #18 already told the story as it is.

Unmarked Police Car with 'Uniformed Officers' in it.  

('Uniforms' being a bit flexible as a term, Nylon T Shirts, Crew necks, Cargos, Skip Caps,

it is difficult to tell between someone that wears a Uniform and someone that raided the Bargain Rail in TK Maxx.)

The Police will not be the ones that decide if an offence is committed, they might think one or two are.

The person being stopped is innocent until a Court decides there was guilt. or as happens in England and Wales,

Police officers can give Penalties at the Road Side if someone accepts them.

ah very true, well  that definatley put a smile on my face haha, thank you.