Dmf (Flywheel)

turnedlight

I've just been told that our four year old yeti, just under 30,000 miles probably has to have a new dmf.

It looks like this is not an uncommon problem.. The suggestion is that it's a consumable part like brake discs etc and I'm gobsmacked, I'd never even heard of one before yesterday.. Surely you should expect those kinds of parts to last more than four years? We don't tow anything, it's a family car and does not get used for commuting.

Any advice?

Well, I do drive around town and also further afield, I'm not sure whether I am changing up early, it's a six speed gearbox so it's different to our previous car anyway. All I know is that our driving style hasn't damaged any previous car so that we need to replace things early. I think it's a bit of a cop out to try and blame the owner, it's not like it's been a taxi or an instructors car or anything!

• Like 1

Sale of goods act apply? Goods should be of merchantable quality. Is 4 years a reasonable length of time for a DMF to last in normal use? Perhaps a call to Skoda UK to see what they say?

Dave

Unfortunately they fail. My VW Touran tdi had a 6 speed box and took out it's first flywheel at about 16,000 miles. [warranty job]  The second lasted until the car had done 68,000? if I recall correctly.

It would be advisable to ask if they can replace with a non dmf unit. This is not as smooth, but is a lot cheaper. I am guessing a main dealer wants in the region of £1200 to do the job. A good garage would replace with a non dmf unit for about £700/800.

Colin

I know of 6 people at work whose DMF failed at about 40,000 miles, all Ford Mondeo's. Some used them for towing a caravan some never towed. 2 VW Touran had DMF failures at about the same mileage. It's a well know problem on the respective forums. The garages also said it was a common problem with these cars.

Odd, my Yeti has had some serious abuse, track time and heavy towing and at around 37k miles it's still going strong.

Does it really need changing, or have they suggested it as part of doing some other work?

• Like 3

Yes, I spoke to Skoda and they're the ones who are saying it's a consumable part.

We realised something was wrong because when you turn the engine off, more so after a longer trip, the engine sounds like it's turning over once more, and can give a slight lurch - I thought it was running on.

My two failures have been distinctly different in sound and feel.

The first happened very quickly, from nothing to feeling I can only describe as like walking on gravel through the clutch pedal. I took it into VW who turned the engine on, pressed the clutch and "confiscated" the vehicle on the spot..

The second happened equally quickly after a 400 mile tow through France. Arriving at Eurotunnel I thought the old Transit van next to me sounded knackered. Opening the window I realised it was me. Engine sounded a cross between firing on two cylinders and a mecahanics toolbox in a cement mixer. I turned off the engine, waited 5 minutes and all was well. Strange thing is the car was towing/pulling strongly with no noticeable change in fuel consumption. Back in England the situation appeared on and off for a few weeks and then stopped as quickly as it had started. Two months later it had still not returned and I was happily driving around north Wales. 4 months after first rearing it's head the symptoms returned and the local garage confirmed my suspicions.

I have since found out that it is posssible with a trained ear to dtect the fault early on. If the car is parked on a slighjt incline any inbalance or wear is supposedly easier to detect and can be heard.

Colin

As does letting it crawl along on tickover.

tom

I didn't know this.

I was aware loading the engine with a mix of low RPM/speed shortened the life of a DMF.

This is why if you want to maximise the life of the DMF you need to ignore the 'gear change suggestions' on the dash display. They are designed for maximising fuel economy not engine longevity.