Another Mpg Question.....

branwell

We've discovered that fuel economy improves if we go a little faster when towing, from indicated 99kph (probably 90kph) up to 106kph.This equated to 2000rpm on our 2wd 110bhp Yeti giving indicated 38.5 mpg average, towing an Eriba Triton on French autoroutes. Solo figure also seem best in this area, but continues to improve with mileage (now 17000).

Thank you for all your replies. My daily drive is down the A9 in Perthshire which now has average speed cameras, so max speed is limited to 70mph.

I find that cruise control is the easiest way to get a good MPG though i am sure if i was careful i could get a slightly better MPG manually, but not much better.

I've also found that sitting a safe distance behind a large vehicle, improves economy, sitting in their wake, but can lead to being pebble-dashed with salt and grit in winter.

Since my original post i have found that around 60mph gives the best MPG for me returning around 58-65mpg.

All in all i am impressed with the Yeti and its fuel economy, my only gripe is the loss of boot space since adding the spare wheel.

We've discovered that fuel economy improves if we go a little faster when towing, from indicated 99kph (probably 90kph) up to 106kph.This equated to 2000rpm on our 2wd 110bhp Yeti giving indicated 38.5 mpg average, towing an Eriba Triton on French autoroutes. Solo figure also seem best in this area, but continues to improve with mileage (now 17000).

I have also found that slower does not always mean more efficient. When on an advanced driving course a few years ago the instructor advised driving at peak torque rpm. This was the most efficient engine speed and ensured you were always in a position to accelerate away with ease.

Colin