vRS Spoiler Paint blistering!

Guest Cossiecol

Guest Cossiecol

When you get your car back I would advise you check every inch of the spoiler especially where it attaches onto the bodywork. If you have any imperfections or even a tiny bump at this junction I will guarantee you it will form a small bubble and get bigger when it rains through time. I am taking mine back to AC at Linwood to see warranty guy regarding spoiler repair after the 4th attempt as the spoiler has again developed a small bubble. I wonder if it will ever be fixed correctly?

Lol it's clear you don't know me lol there's no way they will get away with anything less than perfection! However if there is an imperfection it's all the ammo I need (with my Skoda case still open) to get approval to take it to a good body shop :)

Guest Cossiecol

So finally got the car back yesterday, it longer because they "didn't notice the spoiler wasn't primed"! Add to that the state of the courtesy car (as they didn't know I was going to be In due to my case being closed), the incompetence of this garage knows no bounds.

On first inspection the spoiler appears to be done correctly, however I need to have a full inspection when I have the time.

Would I recommend anyone else use this garage for repairs? Absolutely not! They are cheap to buy from but that's about it. I'm looking forward to my call back from Skoda tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

My spoiler has now grown a 1 inch bubble! FFS! Just spotted it so not sure how long its been there. Will have to call the dealer first thing but not happy as the local dealer can't fix the issue so will mean taking it miles away to get fixed.

IMG_7795.jpg

IMG_7796.jpg

Edited by JamesVRSmk3

Mine has yet again developed blisters, although not to this extent! After much arguing back and forth, between the dealer, body shop, myself and skoda warranty, they've finally agreed to replace the spoiler.

Fingers crosses that might fix the problem for me!

Guest Cossiecol

Sorry for the lack of updates, Skoda did replace my spoiler...no good will gesture for waiting 6 months!

However for a freshly painted spoiler the finish is shocking, I took my swirl finder over the spoiler and it looks like they have gone to town on it! Not happy with the quality of work from them.

Not sure if this helps but last month I had my sploier painted by skoda foc

As I had little tiny blister coming up which you could really see as my cars black

Chap said it was out of paint warranty as the plastic parts such as bumpers and the vrs extras (what ever that is) are not covered

But seen as my car was not a "nail" and have been looked after they would do it for me :)

Mines a 08reg oct vrs :)

Sorry for the lack of updates, Skoda did replace my spoiler...no good will gesture for waiting 6 months!

However for a freshly painted spoiler the finish is shocking, I took my swirl finder over the spoiler and it looks like they have gone to town on it! Not happy with the quality of work from them.

The finish along one of the edges on mine was shocking too when they did the original repair - the laquer on one edge was so rough it felt like sandpaper. As it wasn't visible to the eye I just ignored it though.

Phoned them this morning and they told me to drive it (an hour away) to them to look at. Explained I wasn't happy at having to make a 3rd trip there with the possiblity of a 4th to drop the car to be repair and 5th to pick it up again so they suggested sending photos which I have. Waiting to hear back but I'm seriously annnoyed that the repair hasn't even lasted 6 months.

They've inspected the photos and agreed to book it in for repair straight away so I don't have to waste a journey on an inspection as the problem is clear in the photos. They are phoning on Tuesday next week to arrange the date and hire car - not looking forward to the tiny Polo again. Let's hope they do it right this time.

Guest Cossiecol

They've inspected the photos and agreed to book it in for repair straight away so I don't have to waste a journey on an inspection as the problem is clear in the photos. They are phoning on Tuesday next week to arrange the date and hire car - not looking forward to the tiny Polo again. Let's hope they do it right this time.

I explained to them that there was a reason I bought the vrs and that a polo or basic fabia etc was not suitable for me. They then booked me in for a superb to use whilst my vRS was in for the week.

I have had my spoiler fixed once again for 1 paint bubble right where it joins the tailgate. I believe this is the 5th attempt at repair. Apparently the spoiler is made of breathable plastic so they say. It looks fine for now but the bubbles may come back.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Cossiecol

I'll save you the annoyance just now, don't put a swirl finder on it :(

still not corrected mine yet and it's driving me nuts lol

The way they worded it when they said they had replaced rather than repaired seemed to intimate it was a problem they (Skoda) know about and there is a few cases on it. I don't know anymore than that.

I had the car detailed just after they "repaired" it last time. The car was swirl free in every area except the spoiler which was absolutely covered in swirls so he gave it a a bit of treatment which removed quite a bit of it but I expect the new one is going to be the same.

• 1 month later...

Well just over a month since I've had the car back and you've guessed it - bubble reappeared in exactly the same spot! Absolutely livid and will be calling Skoda UK first thing Monday morning to register the complaint with them.

Guest Cossiecol

Oh dear :(

Mine SEEMS to be ok, however it's not easy to spot on white paint, I plan to be correcting the swirls on the spoiler in about 2 weeks (letting the paint breath until then) so I'll have a close look and God help them if there's an issue! Infact I'll take a gander at next wash.

Guest Cossiecol

I've found a couple of small bubbles at the edge of my spoiler. Going to watch them and see if they get worse.

I wouldn't wait, as I ending up waiting a total of 6 months to get it replaced.

Yes my initial repair took 2 months from reporting it to it actually getting "fixed".

Phoned Skoda UK earlier who called me back within a couple of hours to run through a few details. They are updating me again Wednesday as they have to check on a couple of things but I should hear back from my dealer before then who I reported the problem to initially and who sent me to this other garage for the repair.

Skoda UK were very sympathetic as the two previous repairs plus inspections to diagnose have left me without my car for 10 days so far AND have resulted in the car travelling 200 miles backwards and forwards with another 60 more to come!

Rather than going direct to the garage that carried out the repair like I had to do one the first "repair", my local garage who sent me to them are doing all the chasing for me, with Skoda UK chasing them. I'm actually being kept up to date every day which makes a welcome change!

I had an update from my local garage this morning saying the photos of the repeat blistering have been sent to Skoda warranty (whoever they are) to ask for clarification on what to do to stop this happening. I'm still not convinced the actual spoiler was replaced by the bodyshop and would be the reason the blister has reappeared in exactly the same place. I also have dashcam footage (rear facing camera) from when it was "replaced" showing them sanding down the blister and surrounding area and carrying out quite a lot of work on it before removing it - I'm hoping this was just inspection work to find out the cause before putting a new one on the next day and not sanding down to prepare for repainting!

car.jpg

Edited by JamesVRSmk3

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting call from Skoda UK. The bodywork are saying an external influence is causing the damage and will not repair once they fixed once more. When the dealership call they will apparently be asking me questions about where I store the car etc.

Without any marks to the paintwork around the bubble and no scratches and scrapes I'm struggling to understand their theory. The bodyshop are paying for 50% of the repair with the dealership picking up the other 50%.

I'm going to take it to my own bodyshop before it goes in to get it inspected by them as I trust their opinion a lot more than Skoda's at this point.

With the sub par standard of customer care I've experience so far now with a "blame the customer attitude" on more than one issue I cannot wait until my PCP is up so I can switch brands.

If anyone else whose had the issue and posted above could PM me any details they can like photos or warranty claim numbers I'd like to arm myself with them when I visit them.

Edited by JamesVRSmk3

Guest Cossiecol

I know what you mean, if it comes back on mine I'll be a.) going nuts at Skoda and b.) fitting an after market spoiler they can then argue it when I hand it back as they couldn't sort it correctly.