vRS Spoiler Paint blistering!

Guest Cossiecol

I don't believe one affects the other either James but, SUK arguement is that you would have had to of repaired it at your own cost therefore, they won't cover the paint repair under warranty.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its right I'm just telling you what SUK have done before on a wheels issue and I can see them doing the same with you purely because they can contest it they will to save themselves money.

You may get lucky with the dealers you take it to but, I'm warning you they may try it on.

Regards

T

Just looked and think I might have this too, on my corrida red car, bought in June. Virtually nothing visible by eye but run a finger along the spoiler leading edge and I can feel lots of pimples all along. Nothing to show a dealer yet really, but I'll be watching it (and this thread) carefully now.

On the MkII it wasn't an issue with the paint but the lacquer.

Results varied, some dealers painted the spoiler in situ, some removed it first.

It was never confirmed but it was rumoured that the plastic spoilers were not painted at the same time as the car, instead they were painted separately and fitted further down the production line.

Dropped my car off this morning so should find out what they'll do by lunchtime. Weirdly the central booking guys decided to leave the paint blistering off the list of items I want looking at. There was only 3 things I phoned for! Good job the garage was on the ball and went through the list and asked if there was any other issues.

On the MkII it wasn't an issue with the paint but the lacquer.

Results varied, some dealers painted the spoiler in situ, some removed it first.

It was never confirmed but it was rumoured that the plastic spoilers were not painted at the same time as the car, instead they were painted separately and fitted further down the production line.

Also the paint on the Plastic cannot be cured with the same heat as the metal parts. the plastic would melt

• Like 1

Guest Cossiecol

In at the dealers as I type this update. No issues getting it repaired the only question is how they go about it which will be confirmed when the car comes out the workshop.

Interesting there is another red vRS mkIII in just a few hours before me for the same thing. Although it's already attempted to be fixed and it's in again, so not confidence inspiring!

Guest Cossiecol

Update: The warranty guy took the car into the workshop to take some pictures and send to Skoda. He then tried to use the heatgun to get the lacquer back down, this was unsuccessful (as expected).

He will now wait and see what Skoda say with regards to covering the cost, i.e. whether it will be Skoda or the split the cost between the garage and bodyshop. Either way it's getting booked in for it repair in about a week or so.

Get logging the faults guys n girls!

Took my vrs back to the dealer on Saturday, no problems with their warranty guy. He took pictures and said he would submit them to skoda warranty and would be in contact as soon as he had a response, so fingers crossed.

He did say he couldn't see any issues, as its clearly coming from underneath and nothing externally has caused it.

Guest Cossiecol

Just had a call from the dealer. Skoda are sending up their own people (I believe PDWI - whatever they are) to take a look at the spoiler in person then decide the best course of action.

Got some more waiting it would appear. :(

Contacted my dealership for update on the blistering paint on the spoiler and was told that someone from skoda is also going to have a look at this to decide what to do so will have to wait until dealer calls back.

Spoilers on Mk1 Meganes used to do the same.

Never heard of that.  My wife had a bright metallic green 2000 Megane bought in 2002 and written off (by our daughter) in 2012.  The boot spoiler's paint and lacquer never needed any attention.

So far the spoiler on my vRS is fine after more than 2-1/2 years and 26K miles.  As the warranty ends next March I will keep inspecting it each time I clean the car.

I chased my dealer for an update, and was told he hasn't submitted it to skoda yet, as he's been off ill and would do it by Monday latest.

So I will update, if and when I get a reply from them. Although he did say he can't imagine it being an issue, as its clear to see it's coming from underneath!

Edited by Alex1980

Superskoda.com list a carbon fibre spoiler for the Mk2 vRS at €149.99. Skoda UK may find it cheaper to commission a carbon fibre Mk3 spoiler which doesn't need painting (avoiding any potential for recurrence of  the problem) and, at that price, it can't be any more expensive than taking the car in for a (proper) strip-down and respray, can it? I don't want a blistering problem with my new vRS, but a carbon fibre spoiler would look good with the black pack, I suspect.

Guest Cossiecol

Superskoda.com list a carbon fibre spoiler for the Mk2 vRS at €149.99. Skoda UK may find it cheaper to commission a carbon fibre Mk3 spoiler which doesn't need painting (avoiding any potential for recurrence of  the problem) and, at that price, it can't be any more expensive than taking the car in for a (proper) strip-down and respray, can it? I don't want a blistering problem with my new vRS, but a carbon fibre spoiler would look good with the black pack, I suspect.

It may work on black, although I'm not sure if it would be to my taste-but as I don't own it it doesn't matter :) 

Unfortunately while it's a good idea i'm not a fan of the carbon look on a white car :( you do get a few points for thinking outside the box though!

Anyone heard anything from their dealer/skoda about this issue, as people were saying skoda were looking into it.

I'm still waiting for my dealer to get back to me, was promised a phone call either Friday or Monday p.m. and here I am still waiting! Not impressed!!!!