Polo GTI some details

vrskeith

I find them but lacking in go from 30 mph when you boot the DSG, no quicker than a standard 180ps minimum Polo GTI Twincharger was IME, 

and hardly tyre ripping. Certainly not blistering.

As to a Stage 1 1.4 Twincharger with 205 ps plus that leaves a Standard 1.8 TSI 192ps Minimum DSG (250 Nm) behind.

This video is a very good example of how they do actually go and this is the lightest 3 door Manual with 230 Nm,

Lackluster off the line really.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

I find them but lacking in go from 30 mph when you boot the DSG, no quicker than a standard 180ps minimum Polo GTI Twincharger was IME, 

As to a Stage 1 1.4 Twincharger with 205 ps plus that leaves a Standard 1.8 TSI 192ps Minimum DSG (250 Nm) behind.

This video is a very good example of how they do actually go and this is the lightest 3 door Manual with 230 Nm,

Depends what your requirements are I guess George.

• Like 1

Sure,  less tyre ripping and more blouses.

But still a threat to your licence !

Can also be good country /back road fun.

• Like 1

So...as soon as the Octavia can go (great car but its v v poor residuals have been a disappointment) I'm toying with a few ideas....buy a cheap small new car on finance and look to keep it long term (not something I can get excited about)....consider purchasing an older, miley but honest E90/91 330i/335i and just keeping my fingers crossed it doesnt become a money pit v quickly....or lease a Polo GTI.

I was amazed how cheaply these can be picked up for at the moment (found one below £160 with VAT...but was a 9/23 with 8k year mileage)....but even a longer term with lower deposit comes in nicely below £200/month.

Cant help bit think that for a 2/3 year commitment, easily £100/month less than what I pay for the Octavia to get into a quick little hatch that is probably a bit quicker and more fun to drive than the Mk7 GTD ive just given up....whats there not to like.

I do agree with you George....I doubt real world the latest GTI is a great deal quicker than the previous one or the Fabia vRS for that matter...but id wager it will drive better than both and would hope mechanically its less fragile too. Not that I had a problem with my Fabia vRS mechanically ever but they do seem to suffer more than most.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Mate, when your previous car was a 60bhp Citigo, believe me the Polo GTI is "blistering" :)

• Like 4

Now that the VW Golf GTI can have FWD and the Clubsport or even Clubsport S power outputs it surely must be time 

for a VW Polo GTI Clubsport or Clubsport S with at least 227 BHP,

Or heavens above a All New 3rd Generation Skoda Fabia Hot Hatch with 200ps plus.

Use the VW Parts Bin and bits already on Polo and A1 Platforms, decent brakes, suspension, steering etc and something worth having 

a 'Monte Carlo' sticker on. 

Rally Inspired & with decent performance and not Rally Name Stickered.

• Like 1

If Ford could just do an Automatic Box with a Fiesta ST.

No need for their new 10 speed or anything, i like the Powershifts enough to be happy.

ST ,no auto or 5 Dr in UK. Quality, fit &finish ? Limited room.

Plus point a good drive.

The Fiesta chassis is, IMO one of the best handling little cars out there my 10 plate 1.4tdci Fiesta Van is just so flickable and gives me so much confidence.

This is not BS but I can throw my van around the lanes better than my bloody Golf R. Think manual gearbox on Fiesta has a lot to do with it.

The Polo GTI is such a sweet looking car, need to get one out on my favourite lanes really.

Edited by Defenderben

Interesting comparison review / conclusion by Autoexpress on Seat Ibiza Capra v Polo GTI.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/95489/seat-ibiza-cupra-vs-volkswagen-polo-gti

I do like that ST 200 in Storm Grey (below the Ibiza & Polo reviews). If I were 20 years younger with a wardrobe full of sports wear and a penchant for banging choons I'd have one.

• Like 2

I do like that ST 200 in Storm Grey (below the Ibiza & Polo reviews). If I were 20 years younger with a wardrobe full of sports wear and a penchant for banging choons I'd have one.

Nuffin wrong with that Bro innit!
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

So Fiesta ST  5 dr now launched in UK, giving even greater all round competition to the Polo GTI and Mini Cooper S but no Auto box, as it's a drivers car? . Long overdue imo.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ford-fiesta-st-five-door-launched-uk

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fiesta/97183/ford-fiesta-st-opens-up-with-new-five-door-model

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

So Fiesta ST  5 dr now launched in UK, giving even greater all round competition to the Polo GTI and Mini Cooper S but no Auto box, as it's a drivers car? . Long overdue imo.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ford-fiesta-st-five-door-launched-uk

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fiesta/97183/ford-fiesta-st-opens-up-with-new-five-door-model

Agreed - long overdue.

​In Autocar this afternoon ,a piece announces the Polo GTI Rally car for WRC 2017 but it's also rumoured that a hotter road going Polo GTI is in development for presumably 2017 to enhance this existing range but not a resurrection of the R version which was previously cancelled.

Edited by vrskeith

​In Autocar this afternoon ,a piece announces the Polo GTI Rally car for WRC 2017 but it's also rumoured that a hotter road going Polo GTI is in development for presumably 2017 to enhance this existing range but not a resurrection of the R version which was previously cancelled.

Maybe an updated version of this:

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/287350/vw_polo_r_wrc_street_revealed.html

217bhp from the Golf 2.0

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorely tempted by a 5 door one of these and have had some decent offers through carwow, all the reviews I read however seem to focus on them not being fun to drive, I'd be trading in my 500 Abarth which is a hoot drive but too impractical for me now. Owners, Are they fun to drive? Should I hold on for the 5 door Fiesta ST to arrive. :s

• Like 1

I'm sorely tempted by a 5 door one of these and have had some decent offers through carwow, all the reviews I read however seem to focus on them not being fun to drive, I'd be trading in my 500 Abarth which is a hoot drive but too impractical for me now. Owners, Are they fun to drive? Should I hold on for the 5 door Fiesta ST to arrive. :s

Presume that your preferance is manual not DSG. My partner bought hers via Orangewheel, DSG with Sport option. Very good spec for around £20k. She also has 5dr. Yes you can have fun around country roads, in a high quality and pretty roomy package.

• Like 1