Updating Rapid Amundsen+ mapping.

Mrs really likes her Rapid Spaceback, she bought it new about a couple of months ago.

I was wondering how to check version and update, there being only one SD card slot and no mapping SD card was supplied. The mapping came pre-installed and the Amundsen+ 'instructions' gives the impression that the mapping is on a licensed card assigned to the unit.

Do I beat up the dealer for not supplying said card, or is it now a dealer install?

If you didn't have the latest version (as of day of purchase) I think the dealer should do the update.

otherwise  :$$$:  :$$$:  :$$$: 

You buy a one shot SD card, which installs to your Amundsen only.

A bit like Mission Impossible - once its used, "this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds"

Edited by camelspyyder

Just read my media system booklet Seat media system 2.2 (Amundsen) and the way I've read it, yes it's pre installed and any updates to mapping can be from an SD card. Doesn't imply they come on/with an SD card with the unit at delivery. I stand to be corrected though.

Edited by MickA

You can check the versions somewhere in the system menus I never visit.

according to Ross Tech latest one is V6   0062

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Navigation_System_Maps#Platform_AZ

£185 here but check version!!

https://volkswagenstore.co.uk/products/sd-card-western-europe-rns315

Edited by camelspyyder

Thanks for the replies, I am sure the deal is free map updates for 3 years :D

I just need to find out how to get them/update the unit ;)

The free updates apply only to certain versions of the Amundsen and Columbus, you can find out if the Rapids version qualifies by entering the VIN on the skoda portal

http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com

I suspect however the free updates apply only to the Octavia MK3 variants which share nothing apart from name in common with earlier ones.

I am sure the deal is free map updates for 3 years :D

Senior moments strike again :notme:

Right deal, wrong car.......

The free updates apply only to certain versions of the Amundsen and Columbus, you can find out if the Rapids version qualifies by entering the VIN on the skoda portal

http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com

I suspect however the free updates apply only to the Octavia MK3 variants which share nothing apart from name in common with earlier ones.

Checked the VIN number and it seems she has the latest mapping.

You are quite right Mannyo, the deal was on the Octy 3, mind you at the price they are asking I would invest in another TomTom with lifetime mapping!!

• 1 year later...

Well it has been just under 3 years and I thought I should update the maps on the Amundsen+ unit fitted to my Rapid. I'm glad to say I have successfully moved from version 4 (2012/13) to version 8 (2016). I was rather concerned to buy the correct part and also avoid bricking my SatNav, and as all is well I thought it would be helpful to note the steps I took.

I found it quite confusing in that there are more than one Amundsen units, in particular the one fitted to the Octavia III is completely different.  The unit fitted to my Rapid as a factory option is a Skoda Amundsen+, VW RNS315.

The map updates are supplied on a SD card that becomes locked to your unit on use. The part number is 3AA 919 866 and 3AA 051 866 AH where the last charaters indicate the version ie. AH=8, R=6, both being the Western Europe versions which includes UK.

Where to buy? My concern was as the SD card is locked to a unit an opened packet could be useless, so a reliable supplier was essential.  I purchased mine from:

http://www.kolumbus24.com/Sprache/en/Englisch.htm

at a total cost including delivery of 211euros which became £166.41 on my credit card.

Installation: I connected smart battery charger, in my case a Ctek model, to the battery and after it had passed the intial stages and settled to bulk charging I switched on the ignition and SatNav.  When I inserted the SD card it asked if I wished to assign it to my unit and on doing so asked if I would like to install.  It warns you it will take 120 mins and it really does which is why I attached the charger and the ignition was on to prevent the SatNav going to sleep.  On completion it tells you to remove the card and that's it.  Everything worked and my destinations, stopovers, home address etc. were all still there.

I hope this will help someone. The only problem I can foresee is you have to have a secure place to do this or stay with the car for 2 hours.

• Like 1

That's reson why I've been changed my radio unit... for an android... :dance:

Bought 8" unit for £220 (including delivery and DVR). On top of that I bought TomTom GO Mobile software license for 3 years (£ 35).

So, every 3 months fresh maps of all Europe... :p

Edited by 67igor1

Installation: I connected smart battery charger, in my case a Ctek model, to the battery and after it had passed the intial stages and settled to bulk charging I switched on the ignition and SatNav.  When I inserted the SD card it asked if I wished to assign it to my unit and on doing so asked if I would like to install.  It warns you it will take 120 mins and it really does which is why I attached the charger and the ignition was on to prevent the SatNav going to sleep.  On completion it tells you to remove the card and that's it.  Everything worked and my destinations, stopovers, home address etc. were all still there.

I hope this will help someone. The only problem I can foresee is you have to have a secure place to do this or stay with the car for 2 hours.

Entirely unnecessary to do all that. Just put the card in, allow it to copy, and leave it be. You can drive while it's doing it, or stop and leave the car and it'll start again when you get back in it, or just leave it in for a week or so and do it a bit at a time. Only issue is you can't use the nav while it's copying.

I have no idea why this situation is like it is.

There's a MASSIVE market of people who would pay a reasonable fee for updated maps they could update themselves.  Skoda could make a lot of money and create a ton of happy customers in the process.

By charging so much and making the process so difficult, virtually nobody bothers updating the maps or you get a situation like with the RNS510 where people just pirate them.  It's absolutely stupid.

Visit   www.navigation.com/skoda-cz and type in VIN.

Find update and download to a new folder in the Octavia section of My Documents.

Whilst this is happening take out SD card from the car and copy its contents to a back up folder in the Octavia section.

Then Unlock the SD card and do a Quick Format.Yes - delete everything you can see on the card.

When Update has downloaded use WinRar to extract the files directly to the SD card. There is a path suggested by WinRar but this may not be the correct one. It will take 20 minutes for the extraction.

Take out card and slide Lock into place.

Insert in car. Several new pieces of text occur. Reading SD2 card? The map source?…

Try out a new address…

This worked flawlessly for me. Mind you, it took a week of building up courage to delete the contents of the file...

• Visit http://www.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/download/maps-update/en/amundsen.pdf and check for Update number.
  • Visit   www.navigation.com/skoda-cz and type in VIN.
  • Find update and download to a new folder in the Octavia section of My Documents.
  • Whilst this is happening take out SD card from the car and copy its contents to a back up folder in the Octavia section.
  • Then Unlock the SD card and do a Quick Format.Yes - delete everything you can see on the card.
  • When Update has downloaded use WinRar to extract the files directly to the SD card. There is a path suggested by WinRar but this may not be the correct one. It will take 20 minutes for the extraction.
  • Take out card and slide Lock into place.
  • Insert in car. Several new pieces of text occur. Reading SD2 card? The map source?…
  • Try out a new address…
  • This worked flawlessly for me. Mind you, it took a week of building up courage to delete the contents of the file...

And this is completely incorrect for the Amundsen Plus unit which is the subject of the discussion here.

• Like 2