Bang and then limp mode

I was out tonight in my VRS Fabia dawdling along at 30 mph, I came to the 60 zone and I accelerated and there was a loud bang followed by a billow of smoke out the back, the car immediately went into limp mode.

It was dark and I was out in the countryside so I couldn't see what colour the smoke was, there was no grinding or crashing or crunching noises like you would normally get when the turbo lunches itself, so, I am hoping at the worst one of my turbo hoses has either popped off or just given up the ghost (holed or split).

My dilemma is, it is dark o'clock and I can't see what the problem is, it's also absolutely *issing down and I would need a canoe to lie in to check out the bottom hose if i was stupid enough to even try looking underneath just now.

I am looking for other possibilities if, when I get the chance to inspect it properly it's not one of the hoses. Anything else I should check or look for?

Further info; the engine was cold having traveled approximately an mile and a half, it was in the process of being warmed up, I never boot my car until it's hot. When I accelerated I was in fourth gear doing 30 mph I reckon I was lucky if I got to 35 before the pop/bang noise and I lost power. The engine has done 101 K and has been serviced every 9 K during my ownership. it is due a service in 1 K. It had been running like a dream before hand. I managed to limp home at around 20 mph as previously stated, there were no banging, grinding or crunching noises.

Any info, thoughts and/or idea's gratefully appreciated. Cheers, Jimbo.

Finally got out to check out the car, between hail storms, and low and behold the top pipe was the culprit surprise ,surprise, I clipped it back into place and it's been going fine since, if it blows off again it'll be getting the self tapper modification. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, Jimbo.

Ive had my boost pipe go a couple of times till a nerled them. Luckily had a screwdriver at hand. Once ot happended on the A55 at about 2am lol

Managrd to pull up on a high curb at a macies and put it back on. Always handy to keep few tools. Tape and cableties in the boot lol

Had mine pop apart literally as I just joined the motorway from the slip road.  I only had my cam belt changed 2 days prior so was thinking the worst before the breakdown man said it was just a pipe that came apart.

UPDATE :- I got *issed off with the uncertainty of not knowing if the pipe was going to pop off, especially if I was in the process of passing someone, in fact the thought of that happening worried me so much :sweat:  I just thought *uck it! Get it done now! So, the self tapper mod has been done and I don't need to worry any more.   :whew:

Edited by Coffin Dodger

The above are all wrong, it's clearly a boost pipe.

And its OK to drive with it popped off.  Limp mode won't do any damage.  That's what it's there for.

it's not a fun drive though, having driven the 50 odd miles from work to home with a boost pipe popped off :)