DAB / NAV Antenna.

Evening all,

My new Columbus with DAB arrived today, be out fitting it and was a little miffed to discover I have no DAB / NAV antenna cable in the dash.  I have a factory sharkfin on the roof so assumed it would have a DAB / NAV antennas.  Do I need new cables to run from the antenna to the back of the head unit or will I need a new antenna too...?

Many thanks

Dave

Edited by Quattrodaveuk

New antenna and cable needed.

I'm in the process of upgrading to a DAB Columbus and can dig out the part number on the antenna for DAB, FM, GPS & GSM if needed.

There are various other combinations of antenna depending upon what is already available. Yours is most likely only FM & GPS though.

Best place for cables is ChinaRF on eBay. Although I think I've got a spare cable or two from them in the garage. I'll need to check what I've got if you're interested.

Another option is a third party DAB antenna with FAKRA connector that you can stick to your windscreen. Easiest to fit by running cables down the A-pillar & behind the glovebox, but I hear mixed things about the quality of reception from them.

• 1 month later...

New antenna and cable needed.

I'm in the process of upgrading to a DAB Columbus and can dig out the part number on the antenna for DAB, FM, GPS & GSM if needed.

There are various other combinations of antenna depending upon what is already available. Yours is most likely only FM & GPS though.

Best place for cables is ChinaRF on eBay. Although I think I've got a spare cable or two from them in the garage. I'll need to check what I've got if you're interested.

Another option is a third party DAB antenna with FAKRA connector that you can stick to your windscreen. Easiest to fit by running cables down the A-pillar & behind the glovebox, but I hear mixed things about the quality of reception from them.

I've got the new antenna on order, did you manage to find any cables?  I've had a look at ChinaRF but can't seem to find any of the right cables...

Any idea how to remove the tailgate / headlining trim on an estate to access the antenna...?

Thanks

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the new antenna on order, did you manage to find any cables? I've had a look at ChinaRF but can't seem to find any of the right cables...

Any idea how to remove the tailgate / headlining trim on an estate to access the antenna...?

Thanks

Dave

Sorry, I'd forgotten about / missed this thread updates.

I'll dig out the cables I've got and post pictures today.

The trim by the boot kid jingles pulls straight down towards the floor. Six metal clips hold it in. It's quite stuff but will suddenly pop off with enough force.

You can just about get at the nut for the antenna with just that removed, but it's far easier to run cables and such with the whole headlining removed.

I'd allow a day if you go down that route.

I've got two cables - both suitable for FM, GPS or GSM (or even DAB, but not ideal for this application).

There is a brand new 5m cable with white FAKRA female connectors for FM with Phantom power. Long enough to reach from the roof mounted antenna to the Columbus on an Octavia estate with spare cable. £15 posted.

I also have a used 5m cable with green FAKRA female connectors. These are neutral coded connectors as far as I know and will accept any male connectors. £10 posted.

See this thread for more information (but note that the colour of the connectors has been swapped over. I did that as someone was going to buy one, they wanted FM on the new cable, I swapped them over, but then they didn't get back in touch...

• 8 months later...

I'm bringing this thread back to life, as it's the closest I've got to date to sorting out my needs. So.....

I'm getting an Amundsen+ (DAB and Bluetooth) from another Brisky member, complete with GPS (in dash) antenna and mic. I've ordered an OEM aerial (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEU-Original-Antenne-6R0035501D-Dachantenne-new-VW-SKODA-Radio-Telefon-GPS-/281772064342?hash=item419aec7e56:g:z-sAAOSw8d9Uw46e) with DAB, GPS, FM and GSM inputs, however I've a few questions still let unanswered. I hope the collective knowledge here will help answer them:

1) Do I need an extension cable for GSM? Does the Amundsen+ even have an output/input for this??

2) I know I need an extension for the DAB connection, I know it's going to need FAKRA connectors. I believe "Z" type will work as they are un-keyed, however is this the best one (impedence or any other stuff that might affect DAB signal)??

3) Whichever cable it is, should it have male or female connectors? I believe female from other threads, but can't be sure.

All (sensible) advise willingly accepted..... :clap:

Edited by nickgpfc

No need for a GSM extension unless you plan to add a seperate rSAP compatible BT module in the future.

Z type are fine and the fakra connectors make no difference to the impedance, it's down to the cable.

Both ends need to be female.

I'd be tempted to grab the right connectors so it's obvious which is DAB and GSM if you have the headunit out though.

For the DAB take an extension with two female fakra connectors. But try to get a SMB one on the side of the radio.

Like this one (it is a short extension, because my 6m extension had a female (antenna side) and male one on the radio side).

You will probably need the 90° version (the SMB is 90° and will fit into the radio without any problems. The only difference is the plastic housing of the fakra ones)

In the Roomster I did the same conversion (having DAB/BT now) and the straight connector would touch the rear of the radio housing in the car, bending the cable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161525680398?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

​The same seller also has the extension cables, just try fakra gsm (the one you dont need, unless you also get an active cradle with antenna connection), fakra dab, fakra gps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151415230466?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As an example.

The antenna is a ​treat! Works very good. I got all the four cables extended and lead them from the back of the roof to the front, behind the head unit.

Can't see if yr a fl or pre fl on my phone Nick but if pre fl bear in mind existing connectors for am/fm etc won't be fakra and will need an adaptor.

Adam

There are two cable types. Go for the red one as opposed to the black one for DAB as (so I'm told) there's less interference or signal loss.

Try 'chinarf' on eBay for cables. Great service and prices.

So it seems that fakra connectors are the same as SMB, and there may be a need for a 90 degree angled connector at the radio end. Has anyone found that to be the case in an Octavia, mines a FL Adam, so hopefully the existing FM is fakra.

I've had a search for red cables with no success, however if angled SMB is required, this looks like a good option, being low loss:

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_PDCF5500L.asp

Anyone agree/disagree?

BTW,thanks everyone for your input...:-)

Go on eBay and look for RG316 cable. That is the red ones I mentioned as being better suited to DAB.

If you ask ChinaRF, they will make up any cable for you with whatever connectors you want (as long as they can get them).

FL Octavia will be FAKRA connectors. So you are OK there.

It is the upper connector that causes a little problems when placing the head unit back into place.

At least it is in the Roomster.

I had a 2007, my 2008 VRS and that already had Fakra. I replaced the Nexus with a MFD²DVD and later a RNS510. They all had Fakra connectors.

post-16049-0-37752600-1445685889_thumb.jpg

Based on for the advice thus far and some swapping of emails, I've ordered the cable that I posted a link from DABonwheels, as it has the angled connector (SMB) at one end, is of a very similar spec to the RG316 co-ax and a FAKRA type Z at the other aerial end). I went with them as it will be with me in a couple of days rather than weeks from China (still thanks for the advise KBphoto! :thumbup: ).

The one thing that I've not mentioned and has sprung to mind is whether I'll need any coding doing..I don't have maxidot or MF steering wheel, so not sure what the Amundsen+ will need to integrate with. Can anyone advise? I've looked at the VCDS map several times and may have a bit of a trip to do to the nearest owners to me..

Again, cheers for all help provided, previously and to come. :thumbup:.

It should work without coding, but there will be some error stored that can be cleared. Not essential, but it may mask or confuse other issues elsewhere.

• Like 1

It should work without coding, but there will be some error stored that can be cleared. Not essential, but it may mask or confuse other issues elsewhere.

Marvelous thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to clear any code with Carista, when my new ODB Elm 327 thingy arrives (finally!!).

Edited by nickgpfc

After receiving the cable and the aerial (from different places) in the Friday post, I met up with a fellow Briskodian on Friday evening and exchanged notes for the Amundsen, mic and loom and GPS antenna. All fitted on Saturday without any major incident. Just need to get the new shape facia to finish it off.

Job's a good 'un! :dance: 

• Like 2