cam sensor wiring

Holmesie

hello

A couple of weeks ago the fabia (2004 vrs tdi) was taking a lot of starting it would turn over a fair few times before it would start.

got the car plugged in and it said cam sensor signal intermittent 

changed the cam sensor ( genuine from tps)  and had a quick glance at plugs and wiring

a week or so later ive got the same problem.

got the car scanned and it says cam sensor no signal.

the car has now also started cutting out when cold although no other fault codes have been recorded by the ecu.

has anyone had a similar problem or know of a similar problem

many thanks for any help

sam

Double check the wiring. My crank sensor connector must have been goosed cause someone have botched a repair, but only showed the issue when weather turned.

Double check each of the 3 wires is locked firmly in place.

Double check the wiring. My crank sensor connector must have been goosed cause someone have botched a repair, but only showed the issue when weather turned.

Double check each of the 3 wires is locked firmly in place.

ive checked wiring around the plug and its had a new sensor. going to have to find time to uncover and check wiring to ecu

Also make sure the pins in the plug are tight, use a pick to close them up so they grip the cam sensor wiring as tight as possible.

Other thing it could be is the new cam sensor is faulty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably best to get someone who can read live data so you can see both the cam and crank sensor working because they both work with each other so if one is playing up the other one can get up set so you could have a crank sensor fault .... Also I would not be ruling out a wiring fault as you will always see resistance down a wire aslong as it hasent got a clean break Init so wire with half of its strands snapped or damaged you would still get resistance on it when doing your wiring check showing its fine when it's not .... Only way to truly check is with voltage checks and volt drops ..... Hope that helps

• 1 month later...

Check the quality of your earth connections, particularly the ECU, when I say check I mean take them off, clean them up, grease them up and reassemble. Don't just look at them.

Unfortunate buying a car with faults from a forum member, I guess Holmesie couldn't be bothered.

• Like 1