Throttle flat spot issues?

My mk2 has an intermittant flat spot that happens on a slight trailing throttle when the engine is not under any significant load, typically around 2000 rpm when going down a slight hill, so it looks like there's something common that's not a 'fault' in itself.

Yep mine does this and my old TDI Scout did it also. I think it may to be to do with the anti roll over fuel cut off. The change in angle and the fact that we take our foot off the throttle and the car dips down etc...?

I get this on my 2014 Octavia VRS tdi - If I'm accelerating it never shows, nor if I'm keeping a steady speed. It's when I'm letting my foot of the accelerator slowly the engine will suddenly act like the fuel has been cut, only lasts half a second or so then the power is back. 

I've compared it to suddenly lifting my foot totally off but this is different, it's more severe.

Doesn't seem to be any pattern to it and I can't replicate it at will, which is annoying! It just does it now and again when it feels like it. 

I'd say if I'm driving at town speeds for 30 mins, it might happen twice in that time.

Does that sound about the same as your experience?

This is the best description of what happens on my VRS TDI too. It is only when I take my foot off the accelerator slightly too. It is like with slow increased application of the throttle the electric sensor is fine with but in reverse that it's not so happy, or the threshold of what it is counting as pedal pressure drops down to a level of 'okay he wants less than what is in there now so i'll stop the fuel supply for a sec'?

Is it just the TDI motors though so a common rail thing then maybe? 1.4 TSI above sounds like a different pattern.

Edited by snala
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, when I had my routine oil change a few weeks ago, the service dept carried out some 'recall' work.

One of the things they did was to apply a software update to address poor throttle response in certain situations.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, when I had my routine oil change a few weeks ago, the service dept carried out some 'recall' work.

One of the things they did was to apply a software update to address poor throttle response in certain situations.

That's interesting!! Mine's in for it's first service in a few weeks, so I'll mention that to them! 

Good tip!

That's interesting!! Mine's in for it's first service in a few weeks, so I'll mention that to them! 

Good tip!

I don't think that one will apply to you, because I think what Mence had was the for the TDI DSG Coasting issue but, time will tell.

I don't think that one will apply to you, because I think what Mence had was the for the TDI DSG Coasting issue but, time will tell.

Ah fair enough. Mine's a manual. 

Cheers,

Its happened with my '64 2.0 VRS TD too , only just done 2000 miles , but  hesitation only happens on light load. Not unduly worried but may pop in to the dealers, Mitchells Ellesmere Port. They are very sympathetic to enquiries.

• Like 1

My VRS does this. Always has and I suspect always will.

Its a manual. Reported to dealer and no fault found. Just like the poor starting !

Yes I sometimes have what I would describe as a laboured start, it doesn't fire up as quick as it should, it's never failed to start but sounds like the battery is weak. It's then perfectly ok for a while, odd!!

The  only time mine was slow to start was on a very cold day when I did the usual turn and release the key upon which the engine starts itself once it's ready (i.e. the glowplugs have finished).

Since then if it's been very cold or the first start of the day, i've waited for the glow plug light to go out, then waited another couple of seconds before turning and releasing the key.

Seems to start perfectly then. So maybe the engine isn't as ready as it thinks it is when left to it's own devices.

Edited by deebeedee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue on a 64 plate VRS TDI that has just over 4k on the clock, noticeable between 1500 and 2500 RPM when on a neutral throttle, sometimes won't happen on a half hour drive and other times will happen 2 or 3 times on a shorter drive, not related to DPF cleaning I'm pretty sure and I've only noticed it since January, it can happen when the engine is cold or up to temperature. Out of interest mine went back to the dealership when it was 3 days old 183 miles total, the engine suddenly developed a gut churningly back mechanical knocking that sounded like a washing machine full of hammers that made pedestrians turn and stare from 30 paces. The garage couldn't find a fault code but on the 5th day they had it they called me up and said it just needed the injectors reprogramming and they struggled to work out what was wrong, not being an expert and the fact it is a company car I just accepted that but not sure if my current hiccups are a hangover from that.

I have the same issue on a 64 plate VRS TDI that has just over 4k on the clock, noticeable between 1500 and 2500 RPM when on a neutral throttle, sometimes won't happen on a half hour drive and other times will happen 2 or 3 times on a shorter drive, not related to DPF cleaning I'm pretty sure and I've only noticed it since January, it can happen when the engine is cold or up to temperature. Out of interest mine went back to the dealership when it was 3 days old 183 miles total, the engine suddenly developed a gut churningly back mechanical knocking that sounded like a washing machine full of hammers that made pedestrians turn and stare from 30 paces. The garage couldn't find a fault code but on the 5th day they had it they called me up and said it just needed the injectors reprogramming and they struggled to work out what was wrong, not being an expert and the fact it is a company car I just accepted that but not sure if my current hiccups are a hangover from that.

Mine has had the injectors recoded twice.

Gents

My VRS is doing exactly the same thing. I also stared a post on the same issue see the link below - Erratic Running 2014 Skoda Octavia VRS.   It has been back to my local dealer twice now.  The dealer has advised me that the software is the latest issue and that no fault codes are stored in the engine management system.  The car went back into the dealer again on Monday - they were supposed to have the car all week to sort the problem.  I got a call around lunchtime the same day telling me that they can find no fault with the car.  Skoda is aware of the issue but say the fault is apparently a "characteristic" of this model!!!!!!!!!  Apparently other VWs and Seats using the same engine do the same thing!!!!!!!!!!  This supposed to be an excuse????????

To be honest I am getting pretty hacked off with the whole situation as my car exhibits the problem on most journeys.   I made a formal complaint to Skoda customer service this morning.  I am now waiting for a formal response from them.  I will let you know what they say.  If your seeing the problem and you are going into your local dealer it is defintely worth complaining about it otherwise i have a feeling nothing is going to get done about it. 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/342481-erractic-running-2014-skoda-octavia-vrs-20-cr-tdi-184-dpf/#entry4126058

I had mine remapped last Friday and I haven't noticed it doing it since. I will keep an eye on it to see if it does happen again over the next few weeks

Whose map did you get installed?  Any other comments on the map?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I received an answer from Skoda Customer Service on this flat spot issue earlier this week - see below.  I asked for a full techincal description - I can guess what is probably going on, but they declined to provide one surprise, surprice!

They still insisit that this is not a problem - it is a characteristic!!!! 

I quote:

"I have been in touch with Technical Support who have in turn liaised with the Factory.
They have advised that your vehicle is fitted with flywheel protection which is interwoven into the software of your vehicle.
The concern you have raised is not a defect with the vehicle and is the vehicle mechanisms and software initialising flywheel
protection."

To say that I am not impressed is an understatement - we are therefore supposed to put up with vehicles which cough when they feel like it!

So how do we interpret this??

Is the clutch and flywheel on the limit of what it can cope with??? Why would you build in such a protection circuit otherwise?  I have been trying to talk to some of the tuning / ECU chip people to find out if they have seen any issues.  I haven't felt any clutch slip / juddering.  I don't drive the car like a loon so I don't get why the proterction circuit is coming in - if I was caneing the car all the time I might perhaps understand why the protection circuit is limiting power.  It sounds more like a software / transducer tolerance issue - a fault!!!

SCS tell me that they haven't had anyone else complain about this.  If so then there is a problem with my car and of course the rest of you how have highlighted the issue - its not a characteristic, there is a fault with our cars!

Would an ECUs upgrade cure the problem?  Simmyh how are you getting on with the REVO upgrade???  I resent the fact that I should have to pay for the chip upgrade, the additional insurance, the potential loss of warranty cover because of an inherent design fault.   Skoda has not indicated that they are looking at the problem or to develop a solution.  

One thought.  Has anyone who has had their Manifold Pressure Boast Sensor (G31 error) replaced who was seeing the flat spot / hesitation before?  If so do you see the same issue now - with the new sensor fitted???

I going to stop and calm down now as this whole issue is really winding me up!!!

Hi All

I received an answer from Skoda Customer Service on this flat spot issue earlier this week - see below.  I asked for a full techincal description - I can guess what is probably going on, but they declined to provide one surprise, surprice!

They still insisit that this is not a problem - it is a characteristic!!!! 

I quote:

"I have been in touch with Technical Support who have in turn liaised with the Factory.

They have advised that your vehicle is fitted with flywheel protection which is interwoven into the software of your vehicle.

The concern you have raised is not a defect with the vehicle and is the vehicle mechanisms and software initialising flywheel

protection."

To say that I am not impressed is an understatement - we are therefore supposed to put up with vehicles which cough when they feel like it!

So how do we interpret this??

Is the clutch and flywheel on the limit of what it can cope with??? Why would you build in such a protection circuit otherwise?  I have been trying to talk to some of the tuning / ECU chip people to find out if they have seen any issues.  I haven't felt any clutch slip / juddering.  I don't drive the car like a loon so I don't get why the proterction circuit is coming in - if I was caneing the car all the time I might perhaps understand why the protection circuit is limiting power.  It sounds more like a software / transducer tolerance issue - a fault!!!

SCS tell me that they haven't had anyone else complain about this.  If so then there is a problem with my car and of course the rest of you how have highlighted the issue - its not a characteristic, there is a fault with our cars!

Would an ECUs upgrade cure the problem?  Simmyh how are you getting on with the REVO upgrade???  I resent the fact that I should have to pay for the chip upgrade, the additional insurance, the potential loss of warranty cover because of an inherent design fault.   Skoda has not indicated that they are looking at the problem or to develop a solution.  

One thought.  Has anyone who has had their Manifold Pressure Boast Sensor (G31 error) replaced who was seeing the flat spot / hesitation before?  If so do you see the same issue now - with the new sensor fitted???

I going to stop and calm down now as this whole issue is really winding me up!!!

I have to say I'm very impressed with it so far, even with damp roads it's a vast improvement. I'm looking forward to some warmer drier days.

I think it's hesitated once, but to be honest I'm not sure if it was a hesitation or just me on the throttle. When they install the software it incorporates any software updates ( as you would get from the dealers) I can't remember the number difference from my software to the new one, but between my car arriving last May and January there have been a lot of updates.

I'll keep an eye on it and let you know how it's going.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of the hesitation at light throttle/no load 

on the tdi vrs? Is there a software update? Mine used to only do it only when the engine was cold so I lived with it but is now doing it when warmed up. 

Its bugging me will contact the dealer but just wanted to see if anyone has had it sorted? 

Cheers

I have given up with it. I sent mine to the dealer on several occasions had all the available updates and pursued it with Skoda UK.

They were helpful but offered no solution.

It bugs the hell out of me and it shouldn't do it but I have learned to try to ignore it.

The car goes soon anyway and I won't be having another.