Dashboard iPad install

beerzinnss

Hi guys, 

So I recently bumped into a video of an iPad dashboard installation on Youtube, and the idea has stuck with me for a while.

audi_ipad_mini_in_car_removable.jpg

I have an iPad mini, which would fit in the dash pretty good I think, below the aux. buttons. It would be held in place by magnets, and I'd take it with me when I leave the car.

image.jpg

I already have a small amp (Lepai 2020A+), that I want to connect to a bluetooth dongle and hide them both behind the ipad (where the radio is now). 

IMG_1783.jpg

Are any of you familiar with this kind of setup, and have any comments?

My main question right now is, which wire should I use to power the amp (It has a 12V 2A input), and the bluetooth receiver (currently thinking about this one) which is also 12V. How to wire them so that they turn on and off with the ignition?

There are two DIN/ISO plugs, read about them here, but still have little understanding, how it could be done.

Thanks in advance,

Jānis B.

I was looking into making a flip out holder where the center vents are, blank them off and relocate the hazard light and you've got a handy space to play with...

I'm sure strong magnets might damage the iPad.

Magnets won't damage the iPad, as it has magnets built in on one side, for the smart cover to work. Basically I'm going after this, just a DIY version of it. 

The thing I don't understand is how to set up an audio system with a small amp and a bluetooth receiver as the headunit - wiring, etc.

For me, the ergonomics are all wrong. A car head unit with dials and buttons can be operated without constant looking. Plus the angle is going to be bad, even on a good quality screen like the iPad. IMO it should sit at the height of the air vents in the middle of the dashboard. Maybe adapt the end button blanks above the radio to hold a mount for the iPad?

• Like 1

hi mate this is something i have done and which i am please about: i have wrote a write up 

in-car ipad mini

needed:
1.) ipad mini
2.) ipad mini bracket/holder
3.) in car lighting cable 
4.) jack to phono x2
5.) jack splitter
6.) RCA ends
7.) 12v powered panel mount USB

if you do not have an amp fitted to your car please read section two aswell

remove radio

locate front and rear speaker cables (if no amp is being used or fitted)

pull out the speaker cables from the main radio connector and make them into RCA cable ends (as shown here: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Rca-Cables)

then using the jack to phono cables link up the front right and rear right and plug them into one phono on one jack-phono and the front left,rear left to the other

connect both cables to the jack splitter and you have an AUX cable to connect to the iPad mini

now we want to make the power source for the iPad mini, to do this we will use a panel mount USB powered by the original radio power source. using the red and black power cables on the main radio connecter red being positive and black being negative.

link to USB:

to do this we will create and in dash USB that we can mount in the existing hole of the radio

now we how our power source and AUX cable sorted, we now need to cover up our work and cover up the hole in the dash not forgetting to feed the cables we fitter to the cover, you can use whatever material you need for the cover, i used plastic and covered it in carbon wrap and used plastic dowels for the strengthener 

you will also need to add your iPad holder/bracket to your cover so it will need to be strong unless you mount it to the radio surround and build the cover around it.

you can now have your iPad held in securely and connect it up to your car and used as your radio whilst hiding the wires and making it look smart, on the bonus side you can take your iPad out the car when you leave meaning it is not a security risk as it will just be a cover and a bracket, you could take the cover to the next level and have a pop out/removable mount/bracket for the iPad but theres always room for improvement 

Section two

you can mount the amp in the existing radio hole in the dash so it is out of the way and hidden

to connect the speakers to the amp you will need to connect speaker cables  to the output on the amp and use a male jack to male phono connector with the phonos plugging into the input on the amp

you do not need to turn your speaker cables into phonos if your amp does not have phono outputs!!!

post-116454-0-96430800-1418987384_thumb.jpg

post-116454-0-06608000-1418987408_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Magnets won't damage the iPad, as it has magnets built in on one side, for the smart cover to work. Basically I'm going after this, just a DIY version of it. 

The thing I don't understand is how to set up an audio system with a small amp and a bluetooth receiver as the headunit - wiring, etc.

using magnets you risk scratching the iPad overtime you remove it, have a look on my post above and nip to poundland to get on of those stands there great

For me, the ergonomics are all wrong. A car head unit with dials and buttons can be operated without constant looking. Plus the angle is going to be bad, even on a good quality screen like the iPad. IMO it should sit at the height of the air vents in the middle of the dashboard. Maybe adapt the end button blanks above the radio to hold a mount for the iPad?

My thoughts exactly, you have to physically look at and concentrate on the screen every time you want to do anything, and as you say, it'll be at the wrong angle anyway.

My thoughts exactly, you have to physically look at and concentrate on the screen every time you want to do anything, and as you say, it'll be at the wrong angle anyway.

you won't need to even touch the iPad,  with an apple device running IOS8 you can turn on a feature that allows you to say "hey siri" in which activates the built in personal assistant therefor meaning its hands free providing you have the device on charge/connected to a power source. this would allow you to do a whole range of things such as navigation, message, call, music etc etc 

you won't need to even touch the iPad,  with an apple device running IOS8 you can turn on a feature that allows you to say "hey siri" in which activates the built in personal assistant therefor meaning its hands free providing you have the device on charge/connected to a power source. this would allow you to do a whole range of things such as navigation, message, call, music etc etc 

I've found that it doesn't work too well if there's any background noise, but if it works for you, then cool.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies, 

regarding the placement, I think it will be fine, I don't need to look at it too much. After all, that is the place where double DIN media devices are meant to be placed. And I don't use the radio anyway, so the spot seems to be great for fitting a tablet and hiding a small amp behind it.

using magnets you risk scratching the iPad overtime you remove it, have a look on my post above and nip to poundland to get on of those stands there great

I don't want to put it on a stand/mount as recommended by tombirch95, because I like the way it looks integrated in the dash. I won't be charging the iPad in the car, cause I'm sure it will last a day, I can always charge it over night. 

There is no risk of scratching the tablet, because the end result should be something like this:

http://youtu.be/iaP7iS5H5D0 - there's a suede backing, and the magnets are small, and placed behind it.

I already have an amp, it's this one:

Lepai_Tripath_TA2020A_35190789_04_620x43

I have ordered this bluetooth receiver:

1608239__1.JPG

I'll hook them up, and connect the amp with the speakers (I only have front speakers).

My problem is, I don't have any experience with car electrics. I now have these two -brown and black connectors with a bunch of wires connected to them

Screen_Shot_2014_12_20_at_03_51_37.png

which wires should I use to power my amp (you can see the input it has in the picture) and the bluetooth thingy, so that they turn on and off with ignition? How to split the wires and where to ground them?

It's more the problem of distraction and being able to do something simple and quick about it. If my car head unit goes wrong or starts blaring loud crackles or something, I can turn the volume down or turn it off. There's a large dial/knob to do this, and I know where it is from many hours driving. The viewing angle thing is the next problem. anything you want to do with the iPad is going to require bending over to the side and down whilst focusing on it. With it located in the center dash area, you can't do that and maintain any peripheral awareness of what is happening outside the windscreen.

Not saying the iPad shouldn't be where you want it, just that it shouldn't be the input and control media if you're going to put it there.

J.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, finally finished the project, here's the result:

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

here's the 3d printed piece that holds the ipad (with magnets)

IMG_2091.jpg

without the ipad

IMG_2085.jpg

And the wiring, which now sits behind the thing, where HU used to be

IMG_2069.jpg
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, finally finished the project, here's the result:

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

here's the 3d printed piece that holds the ipad (with magnets)

IMG_2091.jpg

without the ipad

IMG_2085.jpg

And the wiring, which now sits behind the thing, where HU used to be

IMG_2069.jpg

Loving it!! really want to do this myself, got a few other ideas for the iPad and the car. 

could you possible upload the 3-d printing file... So I could try your mount out for my ideas (not very good at the 3-d modelling) 

How about mounting it on the drivers sun visor ... I had the fairly large screen for my rear view camera in the campervan mounted there, (permanently on as I towed a large trailer carrying a vintage stationary engine/genset and no rear windows) ... it didn't help of course when I was hit in the side by a car which collided with the centre reservation barrier at high speed while overtaking me a couple of years ago on the M6... , the impact threw him into me which spun me round then turned my vehicle and the trailer over ... :(

It was in a good position to be able to glance at occasionally to check that all was well back there. and I should think a more natural position to use the touch screen while keeping one eye on the road.

Alan.

Edited by AlanRHB

I've taken your idea and built on it slightly.. 

I dont want to lose the ability to have the radio on, or the fact that I have a very good stereo kit in the car by removing the radio and going straight to the Amp. 

I have decided to move the Radio to the glovebox, built a small box to house it securely. Add a USB Cigarette lighter adapter in the Glove box too.

Run the Bluetooth unit on the Cigarette lighter USB ( wired in for ignition on only) Then plug the outlet from the USB Audio receiver into the Aux plug on the Radio. 

Great Sound, and I still have the radio if I need it :) 

Few links for others if they want them :) 

Magnets 

Mount

Bluetooth Dongle

USB Plug Mounts

I'll upload the pics when I get round to it and once its all looking nice :) 

• Like 1

I've taken your idea and built on it slightly.. 

I dont want to lose the ability to have the radio on, or the fact that I have a very good stereo kit in the car by removing the radio and going straight to the Amp. 

I have decided to move the Radio to the glovebox, built a small box to house it securely. Add a USB Cigarette lighter adapter in the Glove box too.

Run the Bluetooth unit on the Cigarette lighter USB ( wired in for ignition on only) Then plug the outlet from the USB Audio receiver into the Aux plug on the Radio. 

Great Sound, and I still have the radio if I need it :)

Few links for others if they want them :)

Magnets 

Mount

Bluetooth Dongle

USB Plug Mounts

I'll upload the pics when I get round to it and once its all looking nice :)

This is what i'd like to do, how the hell did you run the loom to the glove box, had a quick look and couldn't find an opening from the centre dash :(

Bit of jiggery-pokery and a saw blade. Cut a hole but be careful of the wires. Take it slow. I'll upload the pics when I get round to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bit of jiggery-pokery and a saw blade. Cut a hole but be careful of the wires. Take it slow. I'll upload the pics when I get round to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much! Would really appreciate the photos :)