Vrs brakes

I have a 2010 Vrs tdi hatch, discs and pads now need replacing as slightly warped. (61k miles)

How does every one else find there brakes as I've always found them to be pretty poor, especially under heavy braking or if I give it some down the lanes!

Thought about custom drilled and groved discs all round with decent pads.

Any one changed/upgraded theirs?

They are noticeably better than the non-vrs brakes so am quite surprised you say that. I went for the bigger vrs carriers and disks on my L&K last year when the disks needed changing and am glad I did. Are you sure its not just the warping of the discs that makes you think that.

They are noticeably better than the non-vrs brakes so am quite surprised you say that. I went for the bigger vrs carriers and disks on my L&K last year when the disks needed changing and am glad I did. Are you sure its not just the warping of the discs that makes you think that.

+1 always found the 312's more than adequate, particularly on a standard 170 CR....remapped TSI I might have a slightly different opinion.

R32/S3 brakes, calipers and carriers a good upgrade though....would handle alot more than a mapped TDI could throw at them.

Bin like it since I had it, only become warped recently. They work just not that satisfied with them considering it's supposed to be a sport version.

When was the brake fluid last changed? As above compared to my previous 1.4 tsi mk2 Octy the vRS brakes are much better, though as its tne most 'sporty' car I've had I don't know how it compares with others. Obviously it won't be as good as pukka performance cars but I've got no complaints.

I think the braking capabilities do vary a bit between VAG brands and even model generations.

The Mk2 Fabia vRS has discs all round and 288's on the front; should have been adequate for a car its size and weight but they were about the weakest brakes id experienced on a modern car, never mind a 180hp one.

Same size brakes on a Mk6 Golf....were absolutely fine...a bigger slightly heavier car (with a heavier front end for sure) and not reems less power. Again my Mk3 Octavia 150 TDI only has 288's but absolutely spot on for the car; doesnt feel like it needs bigger brakes at all.

The 312's on the Mk2 vRS were spot on but id have to say were little or no stronger than the brakes on the old Golf or current Octavia, maybe just would have stood up to a little bit more heavy use before starting to fade.

When was the brake fluid last changed? As above compared to my previous 1.4 tsi mk2 Octy the vRS brakes are much better, though as its tne most 'sporty' car I've had I don't know how it compares with others. Obviously it won't be as good as pukka performance cars but I've got no complaints.

Changed every 2 years, I'm not saying there crap as such. Just they struggle when there hot.

Maybe just the pads & rotors are sad.

You could try decent aftermarket pads like DS2500 or QH A1RM with some decent rotors.  Of course, if they don't do the job then your stuck with them for a while.

Keep in mind that the R32 brakes will add a few kg per corner so maybe look at the 4-pot kit from PB Brakes or do the Porsche 4 pot calipers on your 312mm rotors

• Like 1

2006-2010? Something like that.

Have a look for Audi A3 3.2 brakes. There the same but normally about £150 cheaper.

For full setup you should be paying about £500 all in. You do need R32 braided hoses though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not heard of a front to rear swap being done.  

I'm not surprised a dealer refused to fit non standard parts.  Its part of their contractual agreement to use only approved parts. 

Let alone any liability issues.

Dave1970B who visits a few VAG based sites has done a lot of work with the brakes on various models.   He did do a larger rear set up for Golfs etc, based on an Audi fitment, so quite expensive.  Last I heard, his latest efforts were using a Caddy caliper, which is larger, but on a standard disc.

I've not heard of a front to rear swap being done.

I'm not surprised a dealer refused to fit non standard parts. Its part of their contractual agreement to use only approved parts.

Let alone any liability issues.

Dave1970B who visits a few VAG based sites has done a lot of work with the brakes on various models. He did do a larger rear set up for Golfs etc, based on an Audi fitment, so quite expensive. Last I heard, his latest efforts were using a Caddy caliper, which is larger, but on a standard disc.

I did ask them to use new oem golf parts lol.

I mite just upgrade the discs and pads front and rear and see if I'm happy with that.

I've decided to put updated discs and pads on instead of a big brake kit.

Any one recommend some good drilled and grooved discs and decent pads?

Any reasons why drilled and grooves? I wouldn't have thought on a road car they would up the braking performance.

From past experience I have previously gone with Brembo solid discs, Mintex M1144, braided hoses and ATE super dot 4 fluid. Did the job well even under hard repetitive braking. This time round I might try Ferodo DS2500 pads instead and see how these compare.

• Like 1

Think they mite dissipate the heat better under hard braking. Plus they look nicer

The rotor is the heatsink.  You'll get a poofteenth more heat dissipation with cross drilling due to extra surface area but for the amount of grief some cross drilled rotors give it isn't worth it unless you buy the really expensive units with the holes made as part of the casting.

Grooved rotors help with outgassing of pads & wet weather performance but won't help if you are exceeding the heat shedding ability of the rotor.

If I upgrade my front brakes, will the oem fronts fit on the rear?

Asked my local Skoda dealer if they would fit r32 brakes on my car.... They said no.

Because the front calipers don't have an integrated handbrake like the rear calipers have and the hub is probably different.