Seem to notice a lot of demo.one ownervRS TSI and TDI released to market

Observation on Skoda Used website, that a lot of Hatch and Estates have suddenly appeared for sale.

My local dealer near Devizes, a relatively small but historically run family dealership. have gone from one ex-demo hatch TSI to about 4 variants seemingly over a couple of days.

Noticed other dealers across UK doing similar - SO WHAT IS GOING ON ,as lead times on specific spec deliveries were weeks only a few months ago!?

Edited by vrskeith

My local is selling off all of its demo cars as they can after a certain time (think it is 12 or 16 weeks).

They had 3 demo cars and one showroom model, all going if you wanted them.

Did not see them advertised just got chased around the showroom when my mk2 was beeing serviced, saying the could do a deal on any one of them :)

• Like 1

The glut, also sets higher short term depreciation . Hopefully dealers are reasonably generous with PX values for punters.

Edited by vrskeith

The above point about vat has always puzzled me,why do we pay it on used goods anyway,I once asked a friend m/c dealer, his answer was, nobody would take the hit with the loss in revenue, err why not everything else used has to.Now that would make used prices sensible especially demos.

It is also because its the end of the year too and they become 2014 cars, a year old, in a week. Demos over here from all brands have been on sale for 6 weeks now.

VAT is really a turnover based tax, sell more in a year than current turnover figure (regardless of actual profit) and you will be forced to register for VAT end of story and that limit is really rather low, it should be at least a £100,000 if not more, so yes, it does often apply to used goods including cars!

Yeah, ex demo's allowed to be sold after 3 months, hence sept 14, 64 plates now being released - generally with 3500 to 5000 miles on.

My (company car) vrs est dsg being one of them. I could have had a white non-option new build for the budget I get and our company policy was no ex-demos (they wanted brand new due to warranty etc) but being into spreadsheets for my bit of work, I clearly demonstrated that the pretty well spec'd up (Columbus/canton/leather seats/power boot) ex-demo made real sense as the dealer also extended the warranty to 5 years / 100k (this will be used up in 3 yrs though!).

Taking this into account the figures worked out as circa £7k saving on RRP list price and around £3.5k saving on the best prices I was getting from Carwow dealers and drive the deal for new - plus I'd have had to wait however long the lead-in would have been - as my old company mondeo turbo had gone and I had a hire car this would have cost the company over £1k on top depending exactly on the lead time.

I'm aware of concerns over previous drivers but for me, as I don't pay the repair bills (or for diesel), it really was better that I got more options than I would have otherwise plus the company saved on hire car costs as the car was ready in 3 days and has 40k more warranty (well 36.5k more if you take out the 3.5k on the clock already). If I was buying the car myself I'd may well have waiting for a new one and can understand why people would, bit (unless it blows up soon!) I think it was win win for me and the company.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on how the company car scheme operates.

Most companies lease their vehicles and the list value of the vehicle doesnt come into the equation rather the whole life cost....so depreciation, servicing, tax etc. So what its going to cost to operate roughly over a three year period, not how much it is to buy and approximate worth to sell as an asset down the line.

Cars like the Octavia do not fair so well on WLC as they do depreciate quite badly compared to their VW/Audi brethren....a Golf GTD for example whilst being 26.5k v 24.5k list will hold its value a fair bit better and consequently have a cheaper lease TCO.

If paying for a vehicle outright and looking to run it long term/fairly indefinite period then the lower cost of an Octavia would make sense.

Edited by pipsyp

We buy em outright, and the policy is reasonably loose - diesel, 2.0l, must do 45mpg (on paper at least!), but was limited to new cars.

We get a budget, so I could have had a lower spec audi or vw but the octavia vrs is a bit more interesting and certainly not what I see every five minutes (around our way at least).

The residuals aren't too bad, considering the equivalent purchase price vs specs. And servicings is reasonal also (I did show all this in my demonstrations to the company, as one of the directors was a badge snob).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Observation on Skoda Used website, that a lot of Hatch and Estates have suddenly appeared for sale.

My local dealer near Devizes, a relatively small but historically run family dealership. have gone from one ex-demo hatch TSI to about 4 variants seemingly over a couple of days.

Noticed other dealers across UK doing similar - SO WHAT IS GOING ON ,as lead times on specific spec deliveries were weeks only a few months ago!?

One month on from raising this thread and the prices of these cars have dropped again prior to 15 plate .

Some good looking specs and deals to be had right now, me thinks. Simples!

e.g.http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604661916  Like this colour a lot.

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604467022

Edited by vrskeith

Just bought one of the pre registered Octavia VRS TDI, from Arnold Clark.  I had been looking at a white and a red one at two other dealers, but really wanted a black one, however, the one thing I was looking for was cruise and the only black one locally was Arnold Clark and it didn't have cruise.  All three were priced at £19995, the other two had between 2500 and 3500 miles on them, the black one had delivery miles on it.  Was just debating which of the two red or white to go for, when the wife said ask Arnold Clark if it's possible to retro fit cruise.  I phoned them and explained the deals I had set up with the other two, within half an hour I had bought the car.  They matched the other deals close enough on the part ex, and when you took into account their finance actually worked out £20 a month cheaper than the other two, it was almost a done deal, the clincher was they are retro fitting cruise for nothing. One very happy man.

• Like 1

Another theory could be all the lease hire companys returning their stock to skoda uk, had conversation with our lease manager and he said skoda had a shed load on lease hire, at a certain mileage or set months they return back to skoda uk..Ours are 64 plate 13k on the clock and their going back and day..well that was nearly 3weeks ago and still here.

Edited by sikez
  • Like 1

One month on from raising this thread and the prices of these cars have dropped again prior to 15 plate .

Some good looking specs and deals to be had right now, me thinks. Simples!

e.g.http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604661916  Like this colour a lot.

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604467022

Re-scanning the Skoda Used website ,it surprised me that the high proportion of these vehicle are TDI. Greater than Skoda split forecast of approx. 70 /30 TDI/TSI. Estimated 85% plus of mk3 are TDI's in used section.

So can anyone put a precise split, of registered cars from 1st registered -to date.

Would be interested to know the business forecast projections for year one - two.

Edited by vrskeith

Estimated 85% plus of mk3 are TDI's in used section.

Think about it a little more carefully... the majority of company / lease cars will be TDi.  The majority of the petrol engine sales will be to private customers.  Company / lease cars will be changed around every 2 years (some sooner, some later) - so I would expect that's what you're seeing at the moment.  The petrol ones will be kept for longer (3 years+), so I would expect that in a year or so you'll start to see something nearer to that forecasted 70/30 split in the used market.

• Like 1