Water in drivers footwell

Have noticed today that the mat in the drivers footwell is soaking wet. Car was in for accident repairs recently and although most of the damage was done to the rear offside wing and bumper the wing mirror was clipped and also got replaced. I'm therefore wondering if it hasn't been refitted properly and water is getting in somewhere. I've also experienced the water retention in the door issue so am also wondering if that could be the problem. Any pointers would be appreciated before I take it back to the accident repair centre/skoda dealer.

Was the repair completed by Skoda assist by any chance?

Skoda Ensurance were involved but the repair centre was an authorised Skoda repairer. To be honest I can't see how it can be the mirror so will keep an eye on it and take it into Skoda if it persists. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar?

• Like 1

The wet carpet does not sound good and I would take it back to the accident repair shop. The water poring out of the door bottom when opened is normal, my car does it and my Fabias did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skoda Ensurance were involved but the repair centre was an authorised Skoda repairer. To be honest I can't see how it can be the mirror so will keep an eye on it and take it into Skoda if it persists. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar?

Ensurance will have taken a very healthy fee at every stage of their involvement in this claim. Personally, I'd call them and get them to resolve  the issue.

I have the same thing occurring with my vehicle. I have rubber mats in place of the carpet ones but the carpet in the driver's footwell is frequently wet. Initially I thought that it was due to the fact that I had put the mat back in the car whilst it was damp after washing or condensation on the rubber when it gets cold. I was about to start a thread to see if anyone else has this issue too prior to taking back to the dealers for investigation. The car has not been involved in an accident.

I have the same thing occurring with my vehicle. I have rubber mats in place of the carpet ones but the carpet in the driver's footwell is frequently wet. Initially I thought that it was due to the fact that I had put the mat back in the car whilst it was damp after washing or condensation on the rubber when it gets cold. I was about to start a thread to see if anyone else has this issue too prior to taking back to the dealers for investigation. The car has not been involved in an accident.

I'm going to keep an eye on it, see what happens when we get the next bout of rain. Will keep you posted.

I had this problem with a BMW 5 with panoramic roof, the down tubes in the A pillar got blocked so the water that was supposed to go down inside them ran down the outside, through the dashboard and into the foot wells. BMW had to replace the panoramic and dried the car out. However there were a few electric loom connectors under the carpet and the car started to have an electrical mind of its own :o :'(. The upshot was I got a refund on the car. If you don't have a sun roof or panoramic then you will not have the same problem!

The important thing is not to leave it, whatever the reason take it back and report it to the dealer and SUK just in case you too start to get electrical gremlins, at least you have advised them of where they may have come from.....

Have noticed that the damp is back after a few days without rain so I am starting to rule out rain ingress. That said can't really think what else it can be, it seems most damp on the carpet at the base of the gearbox. Can't see that it is getting in from under the car so starting to think leaking heaters, a/c problems, condensation. It did get a replacement water pump a couple of months back but can't see how that would be connected and there is no coolant smell. Suffice to say I'm taking it in to Skoda tomorrow to see whether they can come up with a solution.

The dealer has identified that a cracked A/C pipe that usually vents water from the system (the one that leaves a pool of water under the car) appears to be the cause, despite original suspicions that it was the front screen leaking.

The dealer has identified that a cracked A/C pipe that usually vents water from the system (the one that leaves a pool of water under the car) appears to be the cause, despite original suspicions that it was the front screen leaking.

I have a suspicion that mine might be something similar although dealer says they have had a lot of door seal issues with Octavia. Booked in on Thursday for them to diagnose problem so will report back then.

Edited by jonnybgood

I have a suspicion that mine might be something similar although dealer says they have had a lot of door seal issues with Octavia. Booked in on Thursday for them to diagnose problem so will report back then.

I mentioned the door seals too. They are also being replaced with a modified version under warranty as the dealer agreed that they were holding excessive amounts of water, but not the cause of the water in the footwell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My suspicions turned out to be wrong. Apparently the water ingress is coming from a tiny hole at the back of the front offside wing caused from the robot inexplicably missing a weld in the manufacturing of the car. Water has therefore been getting in for over a year but only at a very slow rate but over time this has become more noticeable as the carpet has soaked it up. Result hole to be welded, carpet and sound proofing to be replaced.

I've had a similar thing with water in the f+r passenger side footwells.

The car's currently with Skoda and they have found that the fault is the panoramic sunroof frame is twisted, so that is being replaced as I type and the interior dried out.

My suspicions turned out to be wrong. Apparently the water ingress is coming from a tiny hole at the back of the front offside wing caused from the robot inexplicably missing a weld in the manufacturing of the car. Water has therefore been getting in for over a year but only at a very slow rate but over time this has become more noticeable as the carpet has soaked it up. Result hole to be welded, carpet and sound proofing to be replaced.

+1 Same fault. No weld required but still waiting for the sealant to cure. Sound proofing being replaced but carpet is salvageable. Almost 2 weeks in the dealers over the past month trying to stop the aquarium in the footwell - fingers crossed now.

The saga continues. Dealer has done a further water test after welding hole and water is still getting in from somewhere else. Getting fed up with the courtesy car which is a gutless 1.2 rapid, trouble is Skoda can't say when I'll get my car back. In the last three months I've been without my car for around six weeks.

Edited by jonnybgood