Temporary motorway speed limits

MillsyVRS

After a debate with my brother and dad the other day, I'm hoping somebody can confirm I was right in saying that motorway speed cameras don't change their limit automatically or aren't centrally adjusted when a temporary limit goes up on the gantrys.

So for example going along the m25 earlier there were signs saying 'CAUTION QUEUE AHEAD - 40 40 40', but like most other people I ignored it and carried on at the speed I was doing as I couldn't see any build ups ahead.

So my question is can anyone get a ticket for ignoring those signs?

Probably a stupid question but just wanted to make sure I wasn't mistaken!

Cheers

The cameras on the gantries on the M25 are only active when the speed is displayed. Plus the new cameras on the North side of the M25 are on constant. Seen them go off too many times recently. People just don't know they are there!

After a debate with my brother and dad the other day, I'm hoping somebody can confirm I was right in saying that motorway speed cameras don't change their limit automatically or aren't centrally adjusted when a temporary limit goes up on the gantrys.

So for example going along the m25 earlier there were signs saying 'CAUTION QUEUE AHEAD - 40 40 40', but like most other people I ignored it and carried on at the speed I was doing as I couldn't see any build ups ahead.

Afraid you are wrong and a LOT of people are being caught by these cameras now.  Even when off they are NSL / 70mph cameras so will probably get you going 80+.  Any time they have lower limits expect the same "grace" and after that.... well, NIP in the post I suspect.  Anything in a red circle is enforceable legally. 

Ever wondered what the dashes were for on the road surface?   ;)   :)

As above enclosed in a red circle etc. Steam on through 10 cameras could mean a thick wedge of post through letter box. 

Advised speed = 

Uk_40_mph_advisory.jpg

Enforced speed limit =

Motorway-with-traffic.jpg

• Like 3

As above enclosed in a red circle etc. Steam on through 10 cameras could mean a thick wedge of post through letter box.

Advised speed =

Uk_40_mph_advisory.jpg

Enforced speed limit =

Motorway-with-traffic.jpg

Same offences in the same location at the same time of the same day might just be categorised as 1 offence though

Interesting. I don't understand why they were up earlier when I was on the road because the roads were clear and clearly no queues ahead. And I never go through the 'dashes on the road' faster than 70 anyway because I've also seen a lot of people get caught and especially on the M25 I wouldn't risk it. My question was in regards when it said 40/50 on the gantries. It would have almost been unsafe for me to slow down to that speed earlier in this particular instance as no one else was! I've never been caught or sent a ticket before and I'm sure today wasn't the first time I've gone through them faster than the limit shown.

Some cameras seem to work and others don't. Really seems to be hit and miss. Seen people rocket past at easily 90+ with no flash, and then seen times when cars haven't appeared to be going much faster than me at 70 and it's gone off.

Not all gantries have cameras. If you look back at them as you pass you will see that some do and others don't, regardless of the camera lines on the road.

The new cameras round the north side of the M25 don't need the markings on the road to get you! Hi tech shafting!

Same offences in the same location at the same time of the same day might just be categorised as 1 offence though

After you pay a good solicitor and go to court to attempt mitigation on that point. Computer will just churn them out though, BOGOF isn't an automatic thing. 

I think its hit and miss whether cameras are set up for temporary speed limits on gantries. If the speed limit is mandatory (red ring) it is far more likely, if it is suggested (amber number) it is unlikely but you can still be done for not taking advice/driving inappropriately by patrol cars. They are putting more effort into actually enforcing the average speed cameras through roadwork sections as well. Personally I find it preferable to not take the chance, plus lower average speeds reduce congestion more effectively than other measures (like extra lanes for example), its good for the mpg and I find it quite nice to chill for a bit. What annoys me is when they leave the temp speed limits in place (mandatory or not) and there doesn't appear to be any real need or the limit is reduced by too much, like for a line of cones along the hard shoulder limit, or out of rush hour, or for roadworks when everyone has buggered off home etc etc etc 'FOG' is always a favourite, what fog? A bit off topic I know but worth a little rant.

• Like 2

The smart motorway with variable speed limit Money making scheme. Its been installed currently on the m62 from rochdale all the way to sale i think. Its also near leeds area of the M62. If its displayed in red like above then just stick to that speed to be safe.

At my naughty boy class the nice man informed us that although there were quite a few camera sites, Cambridgeshire only had three cameras.  They just get moved around a bit.

London had 350ish.

A story in the national press yesterday about the rise in speeding "customers".  A bit of waffle about cash cows again and an explanation of how digital cameras work.  Not interesting or informative.  Another 2 minutes I'll never get back.

I thought speed cameras had been digital for quite awhile now? 

I remember way back when, stories of the boxes being forced and the expensive Pentax 35mm cameras being stolen. 

Now who'd do such a thing?

Interesting. I don't understand why they were up earlier when I was on the road because the roads were clear and clearly no queues ahead. And I never go through the 'dashes on the road' faster than 70 anyway because I've also seen a lot of people get caught and especially on the M25 I wouldn't risk it. My question was in regards when it said 40/50 on the gantries. It would have almost been unsafe for me to slow down to that speed earlier in this particular instance as no one else was! I've never been caught or sent a ticket before and I'm sure today wasn't the first time I've gone through them faster than the limit shown.

Some cameras seem to work and others don't. Really seems to be hit and miss. Seen people rocket past at easily 90+ with no flash, and then seen times when cars haven't appeared to be going much faster than me at 70 and it's gone off.

Sorry but that is utter tripe, it is never unsafe to slow down for these gantries as you can see them in good time and if traffic is moving freely then just move to lane 1 and slow down. If other people want to exceed the limit, they can overtake you.

• Like 3

I remember way back when, stories of the boxes being forced and the expensive Pentax 35mm cameras being stolen.

Now who'd do such a thing?

Yobbo's. Infact yobbo's in rochdale like to chuck tyres around them and set them on fire. The two cameras they like to torch are in a "rough area" but so many kids have been killed there over the years those cameras have valid reaaon to be there.

• Like 1

Not sure if it is still he case but a few years back it was said somewhere in the press (I think) that the limiting factor on how many tickets they could churn out from digital cameras was the need to manually verify the details before sending it out. This was the expensive and time consuming part of the process, however they may have got over that now and automated the process!

To be honest, while they can be a pain, the bits of managed motorway I've been on have flowed much better than had the cameras not been there, for example the M4 at rush hour. Though it really REALLY bugs me when you're going through a load at say 60, and then just drop one in at 50, so you either get caught or have to slam your brakes on when you realise because you were expecting them all to be 60 - however the rest after that ARE 60. ******s. What's the point?

I think the ones on the M1 are different though - the cameras are only active when the variable limit is enforced. When it's NSL, the cameras are off. I've been through them a few times at 80+.

Not all gantries have cameras. If you look back at them as you pass you will see that some do and others don't, regardless of the camera lines on the road.

The new cameras round the north side of the M25 don't need the markings on the road to get you! Hi tech shafting!

+1.

Sometimes you can see as you approach if you look up.

But trying to see that, watch where you're going and do plus 70mph. Its hardly worth bothering IMO.

• Like 2

I have been going through Speed Cameras at the NSL or just a few MPH above for 'Long Time Mister' ,

Days / Nights/ Months / Years of doing it really.

So just let my Insurers know of my last SP30, 3 points & £100.

'80 MPH through a camera in a 70MPH',  it said on the ticket, and i might just have been doing that.

First Broker/Insurance Company took £18 Administration to change 3 Policies details,

(twice having to put me on hold to get the £18 Fee waiver authorised.)

and said their will be no premium increase until renewal time.

So February for the first shock on how much they will be loading.

2nd Broker,

no Charge to change details,

but Customer Services will call after the New Year to inform me of the Increase in Premium on the policy.

Speed warning on Cars & GPS set now at 75 MPH on a permanent basis for the UK.

Too costly IM new O to be blase with Speed limits and gamble with your licence or Cash Money.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Where they **** it up in recent times, it has been coming out in the wash, and then actions have been getting taken, convictions can be overturned and the likes..

The Internet is good for things like that, 

people tell others about **** Ups & Injustices get broadcast far and wide.

I have been going through Speed Cameras at the NSL or just a few MPH above for 'Long Time Mister' ,

Days / Nights/ Months / Years of doing it really.

So just let my Insurers know of my last SP30, 3 points & £100.

'80 MPH through a camera in a 70MPH',  it said on the ticket, and i might just have been doing that.

First Broker/Insurance Company took £18 Administration to change 3 Policies details,

(twice having to put me on hold to get the £18 Fee waiver authorised.)

and said their will be no premium increase until renewal time.

So February for the first shock on how much they will be loading.

2nd Broker,

no Charge to change details,

but Customer Services will call after the New Year to inform me of the Increase in Premium on the policy.

Speed warning on Cars & GPS set now at 75 MPH on a permanent basis for the UK.

Too costly IM new O to be blase with Speed limits and gamble with your licence or Cash Money.

Definitely, I've only been driving a year and a bit, so I'm very careful with my speed - 6 points and it's game over. Thankfully I've not had any yet. I wouldn't be able to work if I didn't have my car.

Edited by samj2013