Windscreen washer squirting the water only 10 secs + temp sensor

ujtordai

Hi All,

I noticed an interesting thing when I started to wash the windscreen.
When I pull the arm to started to was the windscreen, immediately squirting the water, but only ten seconds, after stopped the water, some seconds stop moving the windscreen washer.
Is this behavior is normal or not?

I have another strange experience. The weather was a bit cold today morning (-8) and after an hour when I went down the garage show me -8 again, but in the garage was +11.
Where is the temperature sensor in the car?
Did somebody have same experience?

Yes, the washers will only operate for a specific time after which you can release the lever and operate again if you wish.

The temperature sensor is just behind the front bumper bar and works best when moving through the air.

10 seconds sounds about right.  I'm not sure if you could vary that interval via VCDS? AFAIK  you can adjust the number of attempts for the headlight wash alright.

As Wokwon pointed out you will need to give the car a drive for a while in order to get a more accurate temperature.  The reading you get initially when you start the engine is often the previous stored temperature - at least that's how it works on mine.

I can't be sure that Skodas all work like this, but I know many cars do: When you switch the ignition on, it will check if the engine is still warm. If yes, it assumes the radiator is warm and would give false readings to the sensor which is near the radiator. So instead it uses the last remembered temperature. If it sees the car is moving (looks at the speed) it will move back to using the temperature sensor, but it does this a bit at a time. It will slowly change even if you are not moving, but you's probably need the ignition on for half an hour to see the real reading. Alternatively, wait until the engine is cold.

In summary, if they work like other cars, this is perfectly normal.